PDA

View Full Version : My speedometer issue

JonahAshk
03-05-2016, 04:12 PM
HI
I washed my rt before the regular ride. After finished I start it but the speedometer dashboard was off with no power or light or any indications. All functions were not working such the signal lights, high beam light, radio, electronic window shield, even I can't shift the gears! But engine start normally! I decide to open the speedometer to clean it. It was a little humidity inside like usual but when I open it I found it burned from inside.
thank you god for checking it before it burned all the Spyder.
I'm thinking to replace the speedometer myself but does it need reprogramming? what else I should check just in case the new speedometer will work fine?

All thoughts are welcome :rolleyes:

Spyder Rt SE5 2012

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125333&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125334&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125335&stc=1

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-05-2016, 05:12 PM
HI
I washed my rt before the regular ride. After finished I start it but the speedometer dashboard was off with no power or light or any indications. All functions were not working such the signal lights, high beam light, radio, electronic window shield, even I can't shift the gears! But engine start normally! I decide to open the speedometer to clean it. It was a little humidity inside like usual but when I open it I found it burned from inside.
I'm thinking to replace the speedometer myself but does it need reprogramming? what else I should check just in case the new speedometer will work fine?

Spyder Rt SE5 2012
Ouch! :yikes: That's a new one I think. BRP parts page shows it to be over $850 for a new one. It's called a multifunction gauge. If you have a cooperative dealer have him look up the newer models to see what years are compatible with what previous years. I suggest you search around used motorcycle parts places and salvage yards to find a replacement. Maybe even eBay. I believe the only issue you will have is odometer reading. Once you replace it make note of what the mileage is on the current one and the replacement. Whenever you sell or trade you'll have to provide a statement about odometer reading not being actual mileage.

OJ UK
03-05-2016, 05:36 PM
As the OP is in Kuwait I would think there are almost no junk yards likely to have
parts for a Spyder....any Spyder.
His only hope is his dealer. The part can be fitted but the bike needs to be connected to BUDS
to detect any further damage and reset everything. The fact that he cannot engage any gears
does not sound too good.

JCalvert
03-05-2016, 05:43 PM
HI

Spyder Rt SE5 2012

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125333&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125334&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125335&stc=1

I have a brand new cluster from a 2014 RT-S with only 180 +/- miles on it. My original cluster was replaced to fix an issue with the clock which resulted in my mileage being reset to zero. I decided to put up with the clock to get my original mileage back. I will sell this new unit for $700.00 plus shipping.

Bob Denman
03-05-2016, 05:44 PM
:agree: unfortunately; this appears to be one of those "you better call your dealer" events. :gaah:
Good luck, and please let us know how this turns out! :thumbup:

bmccaffrey
03-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Water do that??

If so that's not right

JonahAshk
03-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Ouch! :yikes: That's a new one I think. BRP parts page shows it to be over $850 for a new one. It's called a multifunction gauge. If you have a cooperative dealer have him look up the newer models to see what years are compatible with what previous years. I suggest you search around used motorcycle parts places and salvage yards to find a replacement. Maybe even eBay. I believe the only issue you will have is odometer reading. Once you replace it make note of what the mileage is on the current one and the replacement. Whenever you sell or trade you'll have to provide a statement about odometer reading not being actual mileage.

I ordered new one from eBay and it was costly :sour: thanks for reminding me about the odometer reading, its was not on my mind.
I will ask the dealer if he can reprogram it to the original mileage.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts :bowdown:

JonahAshk
03-06-2016, 08:15 AM
As the OP is in Kuwait I would think there are almost no junk yards likely to have
parts for a Spyder....any Spyder.
His only hope is his dealer. The part can be fitted but the bike needs to be connected to BUDS
to detect any further damage and reset everything. The fact that he cannot engage any gears
does not sound too good.

in Kuwait, we have a lot of Spyders but the dealer is poor, they don't have the part so, I order it from eBay.
I will not fix the new part until I check it with the BUDS . I bit worry I hope not to find something wrong :pray:

JonahAshk
03-06-2016, 08:16 AM
I have a brand new cluster from a 2014 RT-S with only 180 +/- miles on it. My original cluster was replaced to fix an issue with the clock which resulted in my mileage being reset to zero. I decided to put up with the clock to get my original mileage back. I will sell this new unit for $700.00 plus shipping.

JonahAshk
03-06-2016, 08:19 AM
:agree: unfortunately; this appears to be one of those "you better call your dealer" events. :gaah:
Good luck, and please let us know how this turns out! :thumbup:

I called my dealer they recommended me to write to BRP, I sent an email to them explain what happen to me, waiting them to reply me .

JonahAshk
03-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Water do that??

If so, that's not right

This is the one million dollar question ;) what caused that? WATER ? Or other things? I wish to know the reason. I wanted to share this issue with you guys so someone may know something.
the part is easy to replace but I want to know what cause this :banghead:

latony007
03-07-2016, 01:18 AM
This is the one million dollar question ;) what caused that? WATER ? Or other things? I wish to know the reason. I wanted to share this issue with you guys so someone may know something.
the part is easy to replace but I want to know what cause this :banghead:
There is a lot of water in there, i would have to think that is what shorted it out. If you already bought the part i doubt the will reimburse you for it but maybe you can get them to sell you one at a discount and resell the one you bought or something. That really sucks, must have been a problem with the seal. Good luck let us know how it goes with the replacement

JonahAshk
03-07-2016, 07:55 AM
There is a lot of water in there, i would have to think that is what shorted it out. If you already bought the part i doubt the will reimburse you for it but maybe you can get them to sell you one at a discount and resell the one you bought or something. That really sucks, must have been a problem with the seal. Good luck let us know how it goes with the replacement

yes, I already bought the part but as far as I know the warranty finished after two years. I'm not sure my issue will be covered by the warranty. ill let you know after fix the new part.

latony007
03-07-2016, 11:33 AM
yes, I already bought the part but as far as I know the warranty finished after two years. I'm not sure my issue will be covered by the warranty. ill let you know after fix the new part.

No it would not but, it would just be a gesture of good will on their part if they wanted to give you a discount on a replacement. Let us know if you have any luck fixing it and on the mileage issue.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-07-2016, 12:06 PM
No it would not but, it would just be a gesture of good will on their part if they wanted to give you a discount on a replacement. Let us know if you have any luck fixing it and on the mileage issue.
If you were reading about my CB radio saga, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?89254-Caution-about-BRP-CB-radio&highlight=radio you will see I struck out with BRP as far as any goodwill assistance when water intrusion destroyed my CB radio. I don't think Jonah stands a snowball's chance in a Kuwaiti desert of getting any help from BRP for an out of warranty item.