PDA

View Full Version : Moved from riser install post

jeuchler
07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
...I waited a long time to get my #536 Premiere Edition Spyder and i didn't want to give that up by going to a standard handlebar setup. These risers solved both issues.

Thanks, Lamont! (And thanks, Ev and everybody at NoMagic Neon!)

I realize it takes mucho extra time and effort to document such a procedure for us while you're in the middle of a job.

This really gives me a good heads up on the process and the time I need to set aside to do the install--I know I'm not going to want my Spyder to have any down time once the risers are on. This little smiley dude doesn't have enough thumbs to put up! :2thumbs: Can't wait for the UPS man to arrive (you still think before September is possible, Ev?)

Lamonster
07-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Can't wait for the UPS man to arrive (you still think before September is possible, Ev?)

Magic man is on the road right now but he was waiting on me to give the :thumbup: on the fit. I'm sure they are moving forward on this now.:doorag:

Putt-Putt
08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Great job on the detailed bar riser install. Thanks Lamonster.:clap:

Magic Man
09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
The NMN instructions are also available @ http://www.nomagicneon.com/spyder%20risers.pdf

MM

Putt-Putt
09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Question what keeps the risers from slipping or rotating? Is there a pin or screw that goes though the original bars into the riser? Seems like just a pinch or clamp type setup would eventually slip, rotating on the original bars.:dontknow:

Bimjo
09-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Question what keeps the risers from slipping or rotating? Is there a pin or screw that goes though the original bars into the riser? Seems like just a pinch or clamp type setup would eventually slip, rotating on the original bars.:dontknow:

That's what holds almost every motorcycle handlebar on & they've been working for umpteen years.

Magic Man
09-18-2008, 07:54 AM

This has been gone over in great depth in many past posts.

The clamping force here wont allow a slip when tightened down fully. I went over the physics in those posts before.

But the best thing I can tell you is this....

There is the mad man out there who rides like the devil is chasing him everywhere he goes. He rides the Dragon several times a month like his life dependend on beating his last time through the run. :shocked:

He has a coast to coast trip and over 11,000 miles on a set of these now with no movement whatsoever!

You might have heard of him? His name is Lamonster! :2thumbs:

If he can't move them with the way he rides, and I can't move them with the size I am. They are not going to ever move when put on tight!

Also, with all the sets out there now, not one person has said they have ever had them move ether. :thumbup:

MM

LDFIREWORKS
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
:b2b:THANKS NO MAGIC NEON, BOUGHT 4IN RISERS , EASY INSTALL, WORKS AND LOOKS GREAT THANKS AGAIN EVAN AND PATTY GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH:2thumbs:welcome

FASTEDDIE
11-04-2008, 03:26 PM
INSTALLED 2 WEEKS AGO AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN THE RIDE FOR ME.I'M SHORT AND NOW NO NEED TO BEND OR STRETCH MY BACK.I'M TRUSTING YOU IN THE INSTALLION AS FAR AS THE POSSIBILITIES OF SLIPPAGE.SO FAR,NO PROBLEM AND I'M SURE I DON'T RIDE LIKE YOU,LOL. THANX FOR ALL THE HELP AND DAREDEVILNESS.HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT YEAR AT THE MYRTLE BCH.RALLY.:2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Just curious if I will be able to use my Throttlemeister kit (without having to purchase anything else or other modification) with these handlebar risers??

I wasn't able to find the information in the search and thought maybe a question like that would be good to go here with this thread.

spyderrider44
11-12-2008, 02:22 AM
You can still use the throttlemister. I have the 4" on my :spyder: and it mounts the same as on stock :2thumbs:

bjt
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
You can still use the throttlemister. I have the 4" on my :spyder: and it mounts the same as on stock :2thumbs:

:agree: The Throttlemeister installs and works in exactly the same way on these risers as it does on the stock handlebars.

SpyderGirl
11-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Excellent. Thanks.

adohring
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know of a shop that will install these in San Diego? I am a computer jocky and feeling a little out of the water with this installation. These look great though and I would really like to get them.

Thanks in advance.

Lamonster
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Check with Fun Bike Center and welcome

adohring
02-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks! Have only had mine for week and a half but totally love it. Just need a bigger windshield for the freeway commute and the risers to take some pressure off the hands!

Unfortunately I did ask over at Fun Bike, they basically told me that if it doesnt come from Can Am, they wont install it. I asked at Alba Action Sports too and they gave me the same answer. :mad:

Really suprises me, it seems like there would be a reasonable market for installs of all the great mods that NMN has available.

Magic Man
02-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Really suprises me, it seems like there would be a reasonable market for installs of all the great mods that NMN has available.

All I can say is they are missing the boat big time! :yikes:

We have a ton of dealers who buy and install quite a bit of our stuff on a regular basis. Many of them even have a set of risers installed on a floor model to help overcome the low bar position and close the deal to many people. :thumbup:

MM

bjeffrey
02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I am not a mechanical person AT ALL. I do computer work but I hate any kind of auto work, plumbing, construction, electrical. I call the experts.

I did the risers myself because I was determined to try. I had no problems whatsoever. After about 4 months I rotated them a little towards me. I never have had any slippage.

When I installed them, I had my laptop right next to me, looking at all the directions and pictures from this forum. The hardest part was making my mind up to cut the bars.

Putt-Putt
02-11-2009, 09:11 AM
That was and is my problem. To cut or not to cut the bars, So far I haven't, I was thinking that the old bars do not look the best that way. But they should make a good place to mount accessories, GPS-cup holder or what ever. Anybody have the same thoughts about not cutting the bars. I know it don't look good that way but? :dontknow:

Magic Man
02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
That's a nice thing about our design, you can cut or not cut the bars as it's your choice. :2thumbs:

However, if you want to mount GPS and others such items, the mounts we sell from RAM hook to our risers with one bolt and work great!

RAM makes an attatchmeent system for almost any item you'd want to install. even lap top computers. :thumbup:

MM

adohring
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Is there a huge difference between the 3 and 4 inch risers? Is the 3 inch riser physically 3 inches tall or does it provide 3 full inches of lift?

I am just trying to determine which ones to get, I dont want the bars raised more than necessary.

Thanks for all your help.

Magic Man
02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Is there a huge difference between the 3 and 4 inch risers?

There is 1 inch.

Is the 3 inch riser physically 3 inches tall or does it provide 3 full inches of lift?

Yes, and yes.

I am just trying to determine which ones to get, I dont want the bars raised more than necessary.

What is "more than necessary" depends on what you as an individual have in mind?

This question will be very hard for anyone other than you to answer as to what is "necessary" to do what you have in mind? :thumbup:

MM

adohring
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
LOL... in hindsight I suppose those were all pretty subjective questions.

Thanks for the answers though. I think I will go with the 3 inch ones and have a whack at the installation since San Diegian dealers seem to be CanAm snobs. ;)

Thanks again.

SpyderByter
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
That was and is my problem. To cut or not to cut the bars, So far I haven't, I was thinking that the old bars do not look the best that way. But they should make a good place to mount accessories, GPS-cup holder or what ever. Anybody have the same thoughts about not cutting the bars. I know it don't look good that way but? :dontknow:

I would not mount your cup holder on there, you will spill a little beer everytime you take a hard turn :yes:

Putt-Putt
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Ya but hard liquor has a screw on top. :coffee:

captainryder
02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Whatever you do, install these risers. I guarantee that this will be an option on future Spyder models. But besides that, this is the "Mod of the Year" and makes all the difference in the world on Spyder comfort and control. I was worried about 3" vs 4", but 4" is really the best unless you have already installed the 1" BRP extension. :2thumbs:

(I hope you've got your patent rights, MM, on your design because I think there is going to be some infringement by BRP if they ever come out with a Touring version)

SpyderByter
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
All kidding aside, I ordered a set of black anodized 4 inch risers today as well as a set of Spyderlovers emblems. I found myself reaching when making hard turns, and I don't like the crouch position. I am used to cruisers.

Looking at the angle of the handlebars I think they will bring the handles closer together as well as back. As I read through the previous posts on these, I saw that the 4 inch risers make the cables a bit tight to turn the bars all the way, but I am rarely doing that except when parking in the gargage. So I went with the 4 inch risers.

chuck58
02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Who sells the black risers?

Thanks

SpyderByter
02-12-2009, 06:18 AM
No Magic Neon. They will have them either anodized or poweder coated for you.

chuck58
02-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks. The wife is getting tired of smelling the sports creme after Spyder rides:2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Is there an extra charge to have the risers done in black?

SpyderByter
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
yes, i think it was $30 per set.

SpyderByter
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
That was quick!!! Ordered them yesterday, they came in tonight, already anodized black.

wyliec
02-16-2009, 11:36 PM
That's a nice thing about our design, you can cut or not cut the bars as it's your choice. :2thumbs:

However, if you want to mount GPS and others such items, the mounts we sell from RAM hook to our risers with one bolt and work great!

RAM makes an attatchmeent system for almost any item you'd want to install. even lap top computers. :thumbup:

MM

I don't see the RAM mounts on your site; did I miss them?

Thanks

Dudley
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks! Have only had mine for week and a half but totally love it. Just need a bigger windshield for the freeway commute and the risers to take some pressure off the hands!

Unfortunately I did ask over at Fun Bike, they basically told me that if it doesnt come from Can Am, they wont install it. I asked at Alba Action Sports too and they gave me the same answer. :mad:

I also talked to Fun Bike Center about a couple of after market items. Their main concern is after-installation liability with items other than BRP. Maybe if NMN would contact them and setup a workshop with a rep coming to San Diego, it could open one heck of a market in this area. And, yes, some dealers will do it. It's all left to the dealerships individual policies.

Lamonster
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Just to keep that post clean I've moved the comments here. :doorag: