PDA

View Full Version : Found a bit of a flaw>>>>

shunkmanitu
02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
>>>>in the SE-5 shifting this morning. Exiting a major road into my sub-division requires a left turn over the outside edge of a long, banked curve. I came off the main road at a bit over forty-five mph with hard breaking and a chopped throttle to bring Iktome down to the 25 mph limit. It pulled the corner fine keeping the wheels well planted over the sharp transisition but was still in fourth gear. As I rolled on the power a little bit it went quickly to third and then second. In the future I will at least go to third as I start the corner and probably just allow it to find second when it gets around to it!

Degaman
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I have gotten in the habit of manually downshifting all of the time. IMHO, the auto-downshift waits too long.

zzneonzz
02-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I have gotten in the habit of manually downshifting all of the time. IMHO, the auto-downshift waits too long.

:agree: especially in turns I tend to downshift to second in a turn just to make sure it doesn't decide to downshift in the middle of the turn

BajaRon
02-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Automation is never perfect, at best it will handle most situations well most of the time.

shunkmanitu
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
>>>>on the road I am used to downshifting into a curve but made a quick decision to take the corner instead to going to the other end of the sub-division. I hit the down shift in the middle of the breaking JUST prior to entering the actual corner but apparently the system con only handle so many imputs and took a while to catch up.

Noticed the same action on a "panic" stop from about seventy. It made the 5>4 shift while brakeing but finished the others well after a dead stop. Of course on a manual I would have done the same thing to prevent a chance of locking the rear due to the added engine brakeing. There may be a safty factor built in though I would think the anti-lock would take care of that by releasing the brake.

zzneonzz
02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
>>>>on the road I am used to downshifting into a curve but made a quick decision to take the corner instead to going to the other end of the sub-division. I hit the down shift in the middle of the breaking JUST prior to entering the actual corner but apparently the system con only handle so many imputs and took a while to catch up.

Noticed the same action on a "panic" stop from about seventy. It made the 5>4 shift while brakeing but finished the others well after a dead stop. Of course on a manual I would have done the same thing to prevent a chance of locking the rear due to the added engine brakeing. There may be a safty factor built in though I would think the anti-lock would take care of that by releasing the brake.

Interesting I haven't had this happen on a hard braking but i know manual downshift takes about 1-2 seconds between each shift point for me. The autodownshift on a hard brake has always put me back in 1st by the time i come to a complete stop.

Dudley
02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
In my opinion you contributed to the "flaw" you are describing. The Spyder has many features to make riding a pleasure, but it does not have the ability to anticipate your moves. I am not an aggressive rider, but as you describe it, taking such a sharp turn on the top side of a curve at the speed you were riding is asking for a good case of road rash. My SE5 downshifts at 2500 rpm through 2nd gear. From 2nd to 1st it shifts at 1500 rpm. Anyway, I can't tell anyone how to ride, but just use good judgement and ride safe and longer.

shunkmanitu
02-17-2009, 12:18 PM
In my opinion you contributed to the "flaw" you are describing. The Spyder has many features to make riding a pleasure, but it does not have the ability to anticipate your moves. I am not an aggressive rider, but as you describe it, taking such a sharp turn on the top side of a curve at the speed you were riding is asking for a good case of road rash. My SE5 downshifts at 2500 rpm through 2nd gear. From 2nd to 1st it shifts at 1500 rpm. Anyway, I can't tell anyone how to ride, but just use good judgement and ride safe and longer.

>>>>any possible limitations of a ride under controled conditions on familar ground. I was well within the limits of handeling and safty, just found a minor performance restriction in the SE over the SM system. Knowing these limits may give me an edge during any possible emergency manuvers that may be required in the wake of some cell phone texing twit in a 5000lb SUV. Though I figure something else will restrict my ability to ride for nearly ANOTHER half century, I do NOT want it caused by not knowing my ride.

aubierules
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
:agree: especially in turns I tend to downshift to second in a turn just to make sure it doesn't decide to downshift in the middle of the turn
me too