PDA

View Full Version : RTS Warranty beyond 5 years

redfox
03-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Purchased the Can Am extended warranty when I got my RTS in 2011 it will expire next month 4/2016.. Does Cam Am offer anything to extend it further... Or other options ??? Thanks !

AbNormy
03-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Long as you get it before one expires there are different options. My RPMOne expires in 17 plan on pricing them

Norm H Austin Tx

redfox
03-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Beyond 5 years through Cam Am ?

latony007
03-04-2016, 05:43 PM
i know there are after market warranties for cars, not sure about spyders though. Worth checking into especially with the cost of repairs on these babies.

Jeriatric
03-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Have checked with the warranty department at our dealer and they say there's nothing available for units that have reached that age. I'm 2011 also, and expire towards the end of May.

Give a shout if you find something.

redfox
03-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Just got off the phone with BRP.. they don't offer anything through B.E.S.T. beyond 5 years. Suggested I inquire at dealership to see if they offer anything. Will do Monday but I suspect they don't. I have had zero problems in 5 years with this machine except for 1 loose hose clamp.. I'm mechanically inclined... BUT the sophisticated electronics/brains/computers on this Spyder make me nervous without a warranty/roadside assistance. Last fall it went into Limp mode for about 10 seconds with my wife and I then shut down completely but restarted itself after about 15 seconds as we coasted along after I popped the clutch... ran fine after that.. just sayin the electronic brain makes me nervous...http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.png

jScotD
03-05-2016, 09:42 AM
I've been wondering about that myself, since mine expires soon.

eddieshep999
03-05-2016, 10:02 AM
If you can't find an extended warranty, You could consider putting the cost of any scheme into an emergency fund to only be used for unforeseen repair bills and even get interest on the amount you put aside if it's not used
You are also free to purchase and use 2nd hand parts especially with the number of Spyders around to keep the costs of repairs/replacement down
Hopefully you won't need to worry about it

redfox
03-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Interest ? Yeah right... 1% tops (0.5% after taxes in The Peoples Republic of NY), lol.. but regardless the emergency fund idea may be the only option http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.png

JayBros
03-05-2016, 10:35 AM
How many miles on the '11? Unless mileage is exceptionally low wherein the emergency fund stash may be wise, consider putting the stash toward a future downpayment on a later model. You'll love the 1330 ACE engine and six-speed trans.

robmorg
03-05-2016, 10:35 AM
:agree: Self-insuring a maintenance plan on a reliable "older vehicle" can be a very good idea. You don't have to settle for 1% taxable interest. You could invest that "emergency fund" in something conservative, like municipal bonds. You'd get get a relatively decent interest rate, which you don't have to pay taxes on, and it's a liquid investment, in case you need it. With the repair history of your RT, there's a very good chance you'd come out quite a bit ahead on the deal, while still being "protected". :thumbup:

finless
03-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Mine expired January.... Oh well... Only used it once anyway.

Bob

redfox
03-05-2016, 01:48 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125320&stc=1

Low mileage '11... Paid for... I like this bike... new machine would cost about $3500/yr ...that would make a sizable emergency fund indeed... so Thinking about this 4 point plan ->
---get it serviced and checked out good on BUDS prior to warranty expiration next month
--emergency fund
--2 good (AMA/AAA/Allstate -?) Road side assistance/towing plans 1-to get it home 1-to get it to dealer if needed after figuring out I can't fix it.
--Prayer (with enough of that I might come out $3.5K ahead this year)

robmorg
03-05-2016, 03:03 PM
:agree: Sounds like a plan to me. :thumbup:

I also agree that with an RT like the one you have, you don't need to upgrade it. I wouldn't. Mine is a 2013 with a 998 engine, and I don't plan to upgrade in the near future either. I've got it farkled just the way I want it, and like your's, it's completely paid for. ;)

chickenhoose
03-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I just went through that same issue with my 2011 rts. My warranty was up Feb 17th. My dealer offered me a 5 year 50 dollar deductible just like the best for around a thousand dollars. I checked on others that was higher. I decided to put the money on a left over 2015 rts. I needed new front tires, battery was five years old and it had the original belt with 34863 miles.
I really like my 2015 rts. If you want more information on my dealer please pm me.

redfox
03-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Yup - my Battery is 5 yrs old too. Probably be a good preventive measure to have it replaced when I get it serviced... looks like they have to tear about half the bike Tupperware and rear end apart and then some to replace it. Who designs these things ? Denting the $3.5K already. There is no "Free Lunch" eh ?

Blade
03-05-2016, 07:14 PM
I just recently extended my warranty for 3 years. I was told at that time that BRP does not extend their warranty beyond yr 5.

I was not given any reason for their 5 yr warranty period.

Blade

bmccaffrey
03-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Probably a reason to trade up :thumbup: