PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch from Big Bike Parts

ruthie
02-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Does anyone have the trailer hitch that Big Bike Parts sell? If so what is the pro and con of this hitch?

billybovine
02-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have the trailer hitch that Big Bike Parts sell? If so what is the pro and con of this hitch?

Put one on my ST. Will also fit on RT or RS. Works well for me.

Cheaper to buy. Mounts the same.

Wilson Mc Guire
02-29-2016, 08:45 PM

It looks great and installed in about 15 minutes. My son was reading the install instructions and we
while he was doing that I went into the shop , had it installed by the time he was done reading.
The only thing I would have liked, is the bolts was not black. little paint and you are good to go.

IGETAROUND
02-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Have one on my bike; other than not impressed with the quality of their powder coating works fine.

goat232
02-29-2016, 11:01 PM
I just installed the same on my 2012 RTS looks good and was easy to to put on.

Dodgedad
02-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Does it affect your warranty if you buy a hitch thats not made by BRP. I was reading in their litature that theirs is the only one warranty approved :shocked:

jaherbst
02-29-2016, 11:50 PM
Does it affect your warranty if you buy a hitch thats not made by BRP. I was reading in their litature that theirs is the only one warranty approved :shocked:

That is correct! The mounting is different I believe. It does not incorporate the axle for mounting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jack

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Only if you have a failure in your Spyder that can be shown to have been caused by the use of a non-BRP hitch. That would be pretty nigh impossible to prove. So no, don't worry about your warranty being impacted.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-01-2016, 01:35 AM
That is correct! The mounting is different I believe. It does not incorporate the axle for mounting. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jack
...Sorry Jack you are wrong, all the Hitches for Spyders involve the axel either directly ( under the Axel nut ) or indirectly ( bolt thru the axel ).......However the new F-3 hitch from Bushtec bolts directly to the Swingarm. .......Mike :thumbup:

jaherbst
03-01-2016, 08:56 AM
...Sorry Jack you are wrong, all the Hitches for Spyders involve the axel either directly ( under the Axel nut ) or indirectly ( bolt thru the axel ).......However the new F-3 hitch from Bushtec bolts directly to the Swingarm. .......Mike :thumbup:

Thanks Mike, I like the axel mount better, (axel through and part of the mount). I would guess that's why the warranty only with the OEM hitch. On the other hand I have not heard of any problems with the after market hitch so far. Can anyone out there add to this.

Jack

Fatcycledaddy
03-01-2016, 09:19 AM

Love mine, had zero problems with it, very easy to put on, and towed my bunkhouse camper over 4,000 miles with it last year.

Be aware that if you have the Big Bike trailer hitch and the Big Bike mudflap extender http://www.westendmotorsports.com/images/41-166b.jpg
you may have clearance problems.
When I hit a pothole the swing arm dropped down, the mudflap extender popped over the hitch, and it cracked the back fender on the bike and broke the extender.
I replaced the fender, received a new extender for free, and modified it so I wouldn't have problems again.

You would think that both being made by the same company they would work together.

finless
03-01-2016, 09:37 AM
The Big Bike trailer hitch bolts on exactly the same as the BRP hitch. Long bolt through the axel.

Bob

zuni
03-01-2016, 11:44 AM
We have had it on our RTS for over a year with no ill effects. Replaced the supplied bolts with black. Had a little issue with the bolts wanting to loosen up but a bit of removable loctite took care of that. The hitch is also available from SpyderLovers vendor Value Accessories at a discount.

CJ JAX