PDA

View Full Version : TT2000 2016

PistonBlown
02-27-2016, 08:34 PM
So the rules were simple. There’s various checkpoints, worth between 1000 and 5000 points, dotted around the South Island. They give you a t-shirt at the start and when you get to one of the checkpoints you have to take a photo of the bike, the landmark and the t-shirt to prove you were there. The target is a minimum 2000km (1243 miles) and 50,000 points by the time you get to the finish point 48 hours later.

There’s two start points, one in Dunedin and the other in Picton; this year I’d plumbed for Picton. There’s 50 of us at the start point, I’m the only Spyder rider and so I field the usual curious questions about what it’s like to ride etc.

Finally it’s midday and rally starts, and straight away the bikes start heading off in different directions as each person has their own ‘optimum’ route planned. This is the strange part of this rally, if you’re a solo rider like me you hardly see another rider on the road but when you get to a checkpoint it’s rare not to bump into someone and exchange a few words before heading off in different directions again.

Just coming up to the second checkpoint and the old phone I rigged up as a GPS falls off and breaks. A few choice words but it’s ok as this was just a backup for my written instructions.

A number of checkpoints are quickly dispatched until I hit the famous Takaka Hill about 4pm. This is one of the must ride roads in NZ being well surfaced, tightly twisting and fun. I also hit it at just the right time as the traffic was very light and the few cars I catch up with quickly pulled over to let me pass. Pushing the Spyder to the limits on this bit - I can now confirm you can slide the front wheels in tight corners;-)

Once over the hill another 3 checkpoints are photo’d, the last one being after 2km of gravel as the road has run out. Then it was back the way I’d come, and another go at Takaka hill, until I could start heading west to the west coast.

There’s a good reason why there are rain forests on the west coast…it rains…a lot. So the forecast of scattered showers really meant constant drizzle with some heavy downpours. The Spyder takes in all in its stride and me with it.

After several more checkpoints arrive at Westport with an empty tank to find the only petrol station for 90km is out of action and will not be going again until 6am. Fortunately, I’d had the foresight to fill my panniers with petrol cans so with the tank topped up it’s off to do the last couple of checkpoints of that day. By 1am and I’m back in Westport to grab some sleep.

5:30am packing up the Spyder and I can’t find my written instructions for the second day, must have left them in the motel in Picton. I’m going to have to rely on my memory for the route and location of the checkpoints – this could be interesting:-)

6am I’m topping up with petrol before heading up to the Fenian Checkpoint. This means travelling the Karamea Road which twists its way through rainforest covered hills, the corners are so tight and twisting you feel you're inside an Escher drawing. I hit this just as the sun is rising mixed with a low rolling mist out of the jurassic forest on either side and the occasional weta (native flightless bird) strutting across the road - it's breathtaking.

After that it’s back down the west coast before crossing back to the east via Arthurs Pass. The temperature on the west coast was 17C (62F) but as soon as I get to the east side that increases to 31C (88F). After stripping off a couple of layers I continue south following the southern alps until arriving at what would normally be the most spectacular checkpoint – Mt Cook. However, the summit is covered in cloud on this occasion. From here is a little further South before heading east to the coast at Omahu and then North again, arriving home at midnight after 18 hours riding to sleep in my own bed.

4:30am and its time to be on the road again wondering why I think this is fun. It’s a sprint northwards up the coast road past Kaikoura to the Clarence checkpoint and back to the finish line in Christchurch.

10:30am and I’m arriving at the finish point 2,857km (1,776 miles) in 46.5 hours and 74,000 points. Chat with some of the other riders before heading home. The Spyder has been faultless throughout though now looks like an insect graveyard.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124880&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124881&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124882&stc=1

JKMSPYDER
02-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Congratulations!!! It sounds like it was a great adventure!! My wife and I were in Queenstown and Christchurch area about 12 years ago. New Zealand is beautiful and we really enjoyed our visit.

SpyderAnn01
02-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Sounds like fun, thanks for sharing your trip.

larryd
02-27-2016, 09:39 PM
A GREAT read and Video...Sounded & Looked like a Great adventure...larryd

Chupaca
02-28-2016, 01:27 AM
Well done. That is quite anice adventure. Great pictures :2thumbs: glad your spyder and yourself made it with nary a scratch....:ohyea:

Crisis
02-28-2016, 06:34 AM
:agree::congrats:

seaweed
02-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Well done mate! Will you do this again next year?

:congrats:

cognaccruiser
02-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Well done! Nice report too. My wife and I have been to NZ twice as we have good friends in Wellington and the Coromandel (sp?).
We prefer the South Island and have driven many of these roads. Christ Church has always been one of our favourite cities. We were there last about one year before the earth quake and were saddened by the destruction of one of the most beautiful cities anywhere.

Gary

ARtraveler
02-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Always good to see great rides posted. :firstplace::firstplace:

Wildrice
02-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Awesome--looks like you were the only one in NZ. The only problem with testing top speed would be animals. Thanks for the video.:yes:

PistonBlown
02-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Well done mate! Will you do this again next year?

:congrats:

Yep I'm definitely being doing it again next year. The original organizer unfortunately died last year after a short illness but the three people who've taken over have done a fantastic job. It's been going since 2009 and has evolved over that time.

PistonBlown
02-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Well done! Nice report too. My wife and I have been to NZ twice as we have good friends in Wellington and the Coromandel (sp?).
We prefer the South Island and have driven many of these roads. Christ Church has always been one of our favourite cities. We were there last about one year before the earth quake and were saddened by the destruction of one of the most beautiful cities anywhere.

Gary

Yep unfortunately Christchurch is not the city it was, here's a video I did a few months ago driving around part of the CDB on the 5th anniversary of the Sept 2010 earthquake as I happened to be in there that day. As you can see lots of demolition but rebuild part is still lacking. I doubt there will be much you recognize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MfnXuk_T40