PDA

View Full Version : 6x12 trailer

bmccaffrey
02-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Is a 6'x12' enclosed trailer adequate for the spyder ??

Tx:clap:

Brentc
02-27-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking the only issues might be the door width, and ramp steepness.

Bdomini
02-27-2016, 08:03 PM
If the trailer has swing open doors you must make sure the opening will accommodate your bike. If it has a drop down door you may have to use longer wood ramps to allow the bottom of the bike to clear. Spyder's only have 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance. Good luck. By the way I live near Oswego and I will be bringing my 2015 RT back when we return from Florida.

bmccaffrey
02-27-2016, 08:24 PM
If the trailer has swing open doors you must make sure the opening will accommodate your bike. If it has a drop down door you may have to use longer wood ramps to allow the bottom of the bike to clear. Spyder's only have 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance. Good luck. By the way I live near Oswego and I will be bringing my 2015 RT back when we return from Florida.

Really
That's exactly why i want one. My future for winters will be in Florida.

Trying to stay with single axle so can pull with suv. We go for a couple weks every year. Going mid APRIL for 2 wks. Plans are to spend 3-4 months in near future

Mazo EMS2
02-27-2016, 09:45 PM
As long as it has a fold down ramp you should be ok. Keep in mind the Spyder is 5' and some change, wide. Be careful. Also, you may need to park so the ramp is on a curb to load/unload to avoid bottom out. I have a 6' open trailer with a ramp but I haven't loaded onto this trailer yet. I've done it on a previous trailer with a ramp of the same size and it worked out, but only with the tail of the ramp on a curb or bank.

Frank G
02-27-2016, 09:48 PM
This is my 6 x 12 Stealth all aluminum single axle enclosed trailer. NO RAMP ISSUES, a little tight passing the ramp wires, but it fits. I pulled with a Ford Flex and now have a 4 x 4 Explorer v6 with trailer tow. No issues there. Combined weight of trailer, RT, and gear 2400 Lbs.

jaherbst
02-27-2016, 10:34 PM

No

Jack

Bob Denman
02-28-2016, 08:09 AM
As long as you're taking along a tape measure to check the door width; you should be able to find one that'll work with no problems.
You need at least a 64" width door... this gives you less than 1" clearance per side...
(I would suggest a seven foot wide trailer for this reason; but six foot should do...)

SNOOPY
02-28-2016, 09:06 AM
I just sold an enclosed 6x12 trailer. It had plenty of room for the Spyder.

You do need to check the door width though, I had mine custom made a couple inches wider.

Ramp door was not an issue whatsoever. If you needed it flatter you could just slightly raise the front of the trailer w hitch position.

jaherbst
02-28-2016, 09:24 AM
I just sold an enclosed 6x12 trailer. It had plenty of room for the Spyder.

You do need to check the door width though, I had mine custom made a couple inches wider.

Ramp door was not an issue whatsoever. If you needed it flatter you could just slightly raise the front of the trailer w hitch position.

Then why did you sell it?

Jack

PMK
02-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Agree on the door concerns or door cable concerns. We looked at several variations and simply held off for no good reason. The last trailer we considered was one posted as a link here. It was a very nice trailer and the guy used it to carry his Spyder.

Not sure if there is a difference in the front width, but the fit was very tight, as previously mentioned, about 1" per side to get it in or out.

lmadsen
02-28-2016, 11:13 AM

I had a Interstate 6x14 foot single axle trailer with a drop down ramp and because of the reveal on each side of the door my syder did not fit. Bought a 7x14 but had to go to a double axle. Found that the double axle pulls a lot better.

Frank G
02-28-2016, 11:24 AM
As long as you're taking along a tape measure to check the door width; you should be able to find one that'll work with no problems.
You need at least a 64" width door... this gives you less than 1" clearance per side...
(I would suggest a seven foot wide trailer for this reason; but six foot should do...)

The door cable width is about 1 1/2 " shorter than the door opening. Shown is a 6 ft wide Stealth all aluminum trailer.

I had to look at a lot of trailers before I found one that would work with the spyder.

Bob Denman
02-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Frank,
Does the front of the trailer open up, to make getting the front tied-down easier?

Frank G
02-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Frank,
Does the front of the trailer open up, to make getting the front tied-down easier?

There is a front door that allows access to the front of the trailer. The trailer also has a slant front. I use a over the tire method of securing the front of the spyder. The trailer is equipped with tie downs in the front so you could secure the front wheels through the rims quite easily.

Without a doubt a 7ft wide trailer is preferable to a 6ft. The real question is the access and affordability of a tow vehicle for a 7ft with dual axles and trailer brakes. If you don't have one this can be expensive. The 6 x 12 will tuck behind most SUV's with a tow package. As soon as you go to a 7ft you need a class 3 hitch, wider mirrors (not easy to find), and a trailer brake package for the tow vehicle. This is the reason I pull and put up with a 6ft.

Bob Denman
02-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks for that information! :clap:
I've only transported in an enclosed trailer once: a seven-footer.
Without access doors, I was able to walk around the bike to take care of the tie-down process...

duke50
02-28-2016, 05:44 PM
NO

If you want to buy new fenders go ahead. I had a 6x12 that I had for my Harley that I sold. Tried to get the RTS in NO WAY! Bought a 7x14 plenty room a good choice for me anyhow. The choice is yours good luck!

easysuper
02-29-2016, 11:03 AM
There seems to be some "experts" here that don't know what their talking about. If the cables are wide enough and you can fit between them there is no reason the Spyder can't fit. My tilt trailer has 1" to spare on each side and I drive our Spyders up on it all the time when we take them in to get serviced and need to leave them. My wife pulled our 2013 back to Wyoming 2 years ago with her Pathfinder with no trouble at all. I would like to get a Inclosed trailer when we retire so I can also use it as a garage as now we have a 2014 and a 2015 and my garage at home is to full.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125009&stc=1

kbwitt
02-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Enclosed trailers are a huge drag on the car and lower your mpg dramatically. . Is there a reason you want enclosed. Its chances of getting a psint chip pulling it or driving down highway about the same.
Kenn

GearHd
02-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Tow an open trailer with something you care about on it in the winter months in the northeast and you'll understand the reason for an enclosed trailer real quick.

Peter Aawen
02-29-2016, 07:24 PM
......If the cables are wide enough and you can fit between them there is no reason the Spyder can't fit. My tilt trailer has 1" to spare on each side and I drive our Spyders up on it all the time when ......

That looks pretty flash easysuper, can you give me a little more detail on your trailer please?? Width, length, wheel track, maybe even tilt arrangements & make...?? All that sorta stuff would be handy if you could, but anything you provide would be gratefully accepted. :sour:

As as for it fitting, I park my Spyder in a space that is 20 ft wide but only 68" from the front roller door (full width) to the back wall, so nowhere near 'deep' enough to park nose in (or out...) I reverse it in & then drive forwards to park it across the width of the space - sure, I also tend to store other stuff at each end & overall there's not a heap of room to back & fill, but I rarely hafta shuffle back & forth to get the Spyder to fit so I can shut the door; after all, you only need enough room, anything else is wasted space!! :thumbup: And that counts doubly so when you are planning on towing!! ;)

bmccaffrey
02-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Tow an open trailer with something you care about on it in the winter months in the northeast and you'll understand the reason for an enclosed trailer real quick.

Yep
The plan is to tow for florida for winter.
Would like to keep it from weather exposure