PDA

View Full Version : can fuel injector cleaner be used

scooterexpress
02-27-2016, 09:33 AM
the reason I ask is I had some fuel that was in the tank sitting there not even running the bike and I notice that when idling it wants to shutdown and after riding some I notice a little hesitation was thinking maybe I should use some fuel injector cleaner to get the gum out so to speak what you all think its a 2011 rts..no I haven't replaced spark plugs as of yet has only 20k on it but i'm sure its do but thinking of trading in this year.just looking for feedback or suggestions

ty,
jim

Highwayman2013
02-27-2016, 10:39 AM
You could put some Seafoam in the gas. If it still doesn't run right the vacuum hoses on the throttle bodies could be bad. If the spark plugs have not been changed (due at 14,000) that could be it, also the spark plug wires go bad from the heat.

Mazo EMS2
02-27-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm also a fan of Seafoam for this kinda thing. I use it in everything I own. It works well for seasonal stuff when it's "brought out" for the first start-up. It also does a good job as a maintainer I think. A few ounces in the tank every few tanks. It doesn't take much

cognaccruiser
02-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Another vote for Seafoam here. Great product.

Gary

Sam Mac
02-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Ditto on the Sea Foam. It's good but personally I like this stuff better. I also do not run gas with ethanol in any of my small engines or in anything that sits for any length of time because the ethanol absorbs moisture from the air and it eats rubber. Your results may vary. :yes:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=chevron+progard+injector+cleaner

GunDoctor
02-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Run Sea Foam in my Motorhome

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]

Bfromla
02-27-2016, 02:19 PM
When you can use Ethanol free gas as well.
http://www.pure-gas.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pampurrs
02-27-2016, 02:24 PM
This is a great question. I had never heard of Sea Foam until I read all the positive comments. I just ordered a gallon jug of it on Amazon.

Thanks for posting a very useful topic. :thumbup:

Pam

jtoro1
02-27-2016, 02:39 PM
You could put some Seafoam in the gas. If it still doesn't run right the vacuum hoses on the throttle bodies could be bad. If the spark plugs have not been changed (due at 14,000) that could be it, also the spark plug wires go bad from the heat.

I agree the vacuum hoses are junk use silicone hoses

Bob Denman
02-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Throw another vote on the pile for Sea Foam, new plugs and wires (contact Ron...), and new vacuum lines... :thumbup:

Grayfox
02-27-2016, 06:37 PM
I use Sea Foam in every thing no matter what gas I use.

Bob Denman
02-27-2016, 06:40 PM
I use Sea Foam in every thing no matter what gas I use.

:D You just HAD to mention gas... :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeTukiXerMo&feature=player_detailpage

Spam, onions, and hash for dinner... :thumbup:

Sam Mac
02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
:D You just HAD to mention gas... :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeTukiXerMo&feature=player_detailpage

Spam, onions, and hash for dinner... :thumbup:

Beer, Pickled Egg's and Peanut Butter. :roflblack:

Jeriatric
02-27-2016, 09:49 PM
Good old MMO, been using it for years and in the 2011 Spyder for almost five years. Sometimes, old is good.

Chupaca
02-27-2016, 11:28 PM
Sea foam works for me. Don't have the standing gas problem but have to deal with the ethanol. ..:banghead:

Bob Denman
02-28-2016, 08:17 AM
Beer, Pickled Egg's and Peanut Butter. :roflblack:

:D I am SOOOOOOOOOO..... jealous right now!!! :clap::clap::clap: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own:

Lew L
02-28-2016, 11:59 AM
This is a great question. I had never heard of Sea Foam until I read all the positive comments. I just ordered a gallon jug of it on Amazon.

Thanks for posting a very useful topic. :thumbup:

Pam

Pam,

You have saved about 15 cents per ounce of Sefoam ( which I have used for years). I do find the convience of a small can easier to handle than a gallon jug. Guess you could use a really small funnel to facilitate the transfer.

I didn't know Seafoam was sold in gallon jugs and am considering it.

Kaos

M109Dreamer
02-28-2016, 04:52 PM
I used the small squeeze bottles from the dollar store. Come in packs of 3. I just put 5 oz of seafoam in it and take it with me to the gas station. Then I just throw it away when Im done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jerpinoy
02-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Seafoam is used in boats, cars, and MC including :spyder2:.

Pampurrs
02-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Pam,

You have saved about 15 cents per ounce of Sefoam <snip>

Kaos

128 x .15 = $19.20

Just sayin' ;)

Pam

MrBones
02-28-2016, 10:40 PM
I thought with fuel injectors you did not have spark plugs! Guess I'm way behind.

Naben
02-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Seafoam is used in boats, cars, and MC including :spyder2:.

I hve a bottle of Lucas oil I bought for my car. Is that good go use for the bike?

Bob Denman
02-29-2016, 07:49 AM
I thought with fuel injectors you did not have spark plugs! Guess I'm way behind.
That would be diesel engines that lack spark plugs... and they pre-date you! :clap:

PMK
02-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Sea Foam in the cars and pick up. Good stuff in that application.

I use Yamalube Fuel Med RX in each tank of fuel. Stops separation of the fuel and prevents corrosion.

If you ride a lot and go through fuel quickly it may not be needed, but as somewhat of weekend warriors, sometimes for different reasons the Spyder may not get run every weekend.

I have posted about the Fuel Med RX before, so a quick search should find more info.

Honestly, whether you run pump fuel or non ethanol, it is cheap insurance to add something. Cars are much less finicky than a motorcycle with FI.