PDA

View Full Version : Belt Tension Question - AGAIN!

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-25-2016, 11:46 PM
In this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?87042-The-Krikit-what-should-it-read&highlight=belt+tension, post #14 a copy of a Tech Service Tip is shown where BRP recommends lowering the belt tension to as low as 530 Newtons if that provides a ride that satisfies the owner. They basically suggest setting the tension so that belt vibration occurs in a speed range above or below the riders' usual cruising speed. That tension can range from a low of 530 Newtons to a high of 1200 Newtons, measured with the rear wheel off the ground. These numbers account for the +/- tolerance they give. BRP flatly states vibration will occur, that it is a normal part of Spyder life.

My question is what belt tension are you running at, what tensioner setting are you using if you have a SmoothSpyder or BakerBuilt belt tensioner installed, what speed range do you feel vibration, and how great is that vibration? If we can compile a fair amount of data maybe we can come up with some general guidelines for belt tension and tensioner settings that work best for each of us. PLEASE, just the facts only. NO pro/con discussion of the benefits and shortcomings of any specific belt tension and the use or not of belt tensioners. The drive belt tension needs to be measured with the rear wheel off the ground with no jack under the shock. This puts the belt into the loosest configuration and provides the best number to compare Spyder to Spyder.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-25-2016, 11:57 PM
I.M.S.,..... " sledmaster ".....( a guru here ) wrote an excellent article about Belt tension ( that wasn't read by many :lecturef_smilie: ) in it He explained how running the Spyder belt at a much lower tension than BRP recommends is a good idea......and I agree with Him.....After I bought my 2014 RT, I had some vibration ( OEM specs )......I immediately reduced the tension by 33% and the vibration went away and has stayed away......I don't care what anyone else does with theirs , I'm not going to make mine any tighter......even if it defies LOGIC.....Mike :thumbup:

BajaRon
02-26-2016, 12:10 AM
I.M.S.,..... " sledmaster ".....( a guru here ) wrote an excellent article about Belt tension ( that wasn't read by many :lecturef_smilie: ) in it He explained how running the Spyder belt at a much lower tension than BRP recommends is a good idea......and I agree with Him.....After I bought my 2014 RT, I had some vibration ( OEM specs )......I immediately reduced the tension by 33% and the vibration went away and has stayed away......I don't care what anyone else does with theirs , I'm not going to make mine any tighter......even if it defies LOGIC.....Mike :thumbup:

Defying logic! You're in good company around here! :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-26-2016, 12:13 AM
So you are running somewhere near 600 Newtons then? That's a third below 900.

What about belt lubricant? It would be good to mention the use, or not, of that to see if that helps. I should have included that in my question above.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-26-2016, 12:28 AM
So you are running somewhere near 600 Newtons then? That's a third below 900.

What about belt lubricant? It would be good to mention the use, or not, of that to see if that helps. I should have included that in my question above.
....I use the Kritkit and only check it ON THE GROUND....( it's just way easier, so then it gets done more ).....I try for 195 to 200 , I haven't used LUBE on any of my belts ....I should think about this .......Mike :thumbup:

finless
02-27-2016, 11:02 AM
There is a service bulletin (I can find it if you need it) about lubing the belt with a little grease (very little).

Bob

Mike Ard
02-27-2016, 12:24 PM
In this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?87042-The-Krikit-what-should-it-read&highlight=belt+tension, post #14 a copy of a Tech Service Tip is shown where BRP recommends lowering the belt tension to as low as 530 Newtons if that provides a ride that satisfies the owner. They basically suggest setting the tension so that belt vibration occurs in a speed range above or below the riders' usual cruising speed. That tension can range from a low of 530 Newtons to a high of 1200 Newtons, measured with the rear wheel off the ground. These numbers account for the +/- tolerance they give. BRP flatly states vibration will occur, that it is a normal part of Spyder life.

My question is what belt tension are you running at, what tensioner setting are you using if you have a SmoothSpyder or BakerBuilt belt tensioner installed, what speed range do you feel vibration, and how great is that vibration? If we can compile a fair amount of data maybe we can come up with some general guidelines for belt tension and tensioner settings that work best for each of us. PLEASE, just the facts only. NO pro/con discussion of the benefits and shortcomings of any specific belt tension and the use or not of belt tensioners. The drive belt tension needs to be measured with the rear wheel off the ground with no jack under the shock. This puts the belt into the loosest configuration and provides the best number to compare Spyder to Spyder.

On my f3 belt tension is a bit below 300. I use the baker built system which is basically a light spring holding a roller on the top side of the belt. This has completely eliminated all vibration and from what I can tell does not increase belt tension over what it was without the Bakker built. Have to say I was surprised at how well it works since the spring is very light and it runs on the top side.

2dogs
02-27-2016, 02:13 PM
220 on the krikit with wheel on the ground. That's the sweet spot for me. :thumbup:

oldgoat
02-27-2016, 08:24 PM
180 on the Krikit for me. Measured at the centre point of the front & rear pulleys + rear wheel on the ground.

I have an '08 GS.

ColombianSpyder
03-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I just finished installing the Smoothspyder belt tensioner on my F3S. Belt vibration had been very noticeable from 65 to about 75 miles and hour, now after installation NO VIBRATION!!! The installation took me about 15 minutes, trimming the belt cover took another 15 minutes. I used the suggestion in the installation sheet for pulley tension, perfect. Super easy and no fuss. My only suggestion to Smoothspyder is to use black anodized bolts, nuts and washers and possibly to use a cap bolt instead of a plastic cap that must be glued over the bolt once installation is finished. The cap is to give that factory "I didn't **** with it" look.

stmike 1800
07-30-2018, 08:03 AM
At freeway speeds mine vibrated so bad it felt like the belt would explode . Dealer tightened the belt ,and i checked it at home with a krikit 240 lbs . But it still vibrates at around 75 mph .I am trying to get BRP to put a tensioner on it .:sour:

Bensonoid
07-30-2018, 05:59 PM
220 with a krikit, wheel off the ground.

pegasus1300
07-30-2018, 06:18 PM
There is a service bulletin (I can find it if you need it) about lubing the belt with a little grease (very little).

Bob

I remember that service bulletin. The amount recommended was was about half the size of a pencil eraser and you were only supposed to apply a little to a few of the teeth then let the belt distribute it around thru movement.It was for squeaky belts as I remember.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-30-2018, 06:36 PM
At freeway speeds mine vibrated so bad it felt like the belt would explode . Dealer tightened the belt ,and i checked it at home with a krikit 240 lbs . But it still vibrates at around 75 mph .I am trying to get BRP to put a tensioner on it .:sour:
Don't bother, they won't! Your best best is to get one from Roadster Renovations or SmoothSpyder. BRP official position is to adjust the tension up or down until the vibration occurs in a speed range the owner can live with. BRP will sell you one also, but it's not as good as the other two.