PDA

View Full Version : Next generation 2017 tilting model

FIRECAT
02-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Has anyone seen or heard of BRP next generation tilting model spider probably the next GEN RSS! BRP put patents in at the patent office back in 2009 and I'm sure the finished product is almost ready! Did any of you get emails concerning the 10 year anniversary party in Valcourt Quebec Canada where the unveiling of this probably new model will be in June 2017 as a 2018 model? I'm sure Lamonts seen it already!

Chupaca
02-24-2016, 11:01 PM
The Valcourt event we have heard about....:yes: don't even want to heat that they would make a leaner...:banghead: have not seen a successful one yet outside of the scooters. Must be a reason. Most of the ones we have seen loose the whole frunk area and to keep it would have to be as wide or wider than a car.. Just me, I love the spyder the way it is....:thumbup:

loisk
02-24-2016, 11:41 PM
So what are the chances of a tilting turbo hybrid ??:joke:
:sour:

FIRECAT
02-25-2016, 06:11 AM
Has anyone seen or heard of BRP next generation tilting model spider probably the next GEN RSS! BRP put patents in at the patent office back in 2009 and I'm sure the finished product is almost ready! Did any of you get emails concerning the 10 year anniversary party in Valcourt Quebec Canada where the unveiling of this probably new model will be in June 2017 as a 2018 model? I'm sure Lamonts seen it already!
What inspired me to start this text is Brp/valcourt just released their new 2017 850 e-tec next generation snowmobile! As a rider of a competitive brand I am extremely impressed with what they released moving them forward once again ahead of the competition! I have also been hearing and seeing prototype three Wheelers from Yamaha Honda and BMW ready to go just waiting for the 10 year patent to run out on the spider! Yes turbocharging it would be something also don't know how you would keep the back tire on that one!

FIRECAT
02-25-2016, 06:13 AM
Lamont what's your thoughts on that?

DrewNJ
02-25-2016, 07:18 AM
The Valcourt event we have heard about....:yes: don't even want to heat that they would make a leaner...:banghead: have not seen a successful one yet outside of the scooters. Must be a reason. Most of the ones we have seen loose the whole frunk area and to keep it would have to be as wide or wider than a car.. Just me, I love the spyder the way it is....:thumbup:
The Honda Neowing we saw in Tokyo back at the end of October looked like the real deal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
02-25-2016, 07:46 AM
BRP may have patented the design in order to lock others out of it's use... :dontknow:
If that bike exists; don't expect to hear anything about it... They'll keep it EXTRA "close to their vests", until it's ready. nojoke

robmorg
02-25-2016, 07:59 AM
The Valcourt event we have heard about....:yes: don't even want to hear that they would make a leaner...:banghead: have not seen a successful one yet outside of the scooters. Must be a reason. Most of the ones we have seen loose the whole frunk area and to keep it would have to be as wide or wider than a car.. Just me, I love the spyder the way it is....:thumbup:

:agree: I completely agree! :thumbup: Ya wanna lean? Buy a motorcycle with two wheels. :doorag:

I've owned several motorcycles. But the reason the Spyder is so much fun for me is that it is different. As FIRECAT says in his signature, it is like snowmobiling on pavement. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/a18.gif

FIRECAT
02-25-2016, 10:09 AM
:agree: I completely agree! :thumbup: Ya wanna lean? Buy a motorcycle with two wheels. :doorag:

I've owned several motorcycles. But the reason the Spyder is so much fun for me is that it is different. As FIRECAT says in his signature, it is like snowmobiling on pavement. :2thumbs:
I have logged over 180,000 miles on snowmobiles I used to ride to wheelers in the 80s and PWC's in the 90s and 2000's that's what drew me to the spider that is so much like my snowmobile but can you imagine if it would camber into each corner it would be like a slot car it could corner Faster than a sport bike a Corvette or anything else on the road for that matter! It would be a huge game changer! I have a couple more years with my 2012 RSS and the moment this camber spider is released I'm locking and loading immediately! Many 2 wheelers crotch rocket guys will come over to spider too many bikers hate the idea it does not tilt into corners!

HVACR Guy
02-25-2016, 10:42 AM
You might want to wait till 2nd or 3rd gen of this style until they get all the bugs ironed out. There is a price for being an early adopter.

Bob Denman
02-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Nobody has EVER said that BRP is working on a production vehicle... :banghead:

BajaRon
02-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Why not a leaning snowmobile? That would seem like an easier nut to crack.

robmorg
02-25-2016, 11:01 AM
FIRECAT,

You may be right about a leaning Spyder drawing a market, but I have my doubts. Like someone said above, there have been other cambered trikes released on the market and they never seem to take off. I believe that the reason is, no matter how they accomplish it, the riding experience would not be similar enough to that of counter-steering a two-wheel motorcycle to attract many converts. It's actually the dynamics of counter-steering a motorcycle, therefore causing it to lean, that makes a motorcycle so much fun to ride.

Also, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but if what you say about the potential riding characteristics is true (and I have no reason to doubt that), then I suspect that BRP would never release a leaning model, even if someone there is experimenting with the concept. From what I've observed, their corporate culture, with respect to product liability, is far too conservative. I believe Bob Denman was on target when he suggested that they may have just filed the patents to protect their own competitive interests. That practice is fairly common.

Bob Denman
02-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Why not a leaning snowmobile? That would seem like an easier nut to crack.

It's been done... :thumbup:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124783&stc=1

ARtraveler
02-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Hybrid or leaning :spyder2:? Those are two items that have been bandied about but I don't see them for sale to the public anytime soon.

The Hybrid has been pictured but as I understand it, a non working, non-engine prototype. BRP got lots of Canadian Govt. money to work on this project--when "green" was an "in" thing. I am guessing $40K plus--if its ever offered for sale to the public.

A leaner, this would be a very "niche" market item. I see no need so would not be a customer for it.

:bbq::bbq:

ions82
02-25-2016, 04:01 PM
It seems as though it would be quite difficult to mass-produce a quality leaning trike design. Even without leaning, the Spyders are fairly complex. I'd imagine that the development, manufacturing, and assembly of a leaner would make it cost prohibitive. Some of the YouTube vids of the leaning trikes are pretty awesome, though. If there were a leaning version of the Spyder available and all things were equal in comparison with the rigid version (cost, reliability, maintenance), I'd probably take the leaner. However, even if it were being mass-produced, there's no doubt that it would be more costly, less reliable, and require more maintenance.

FIRECAT
02-27-2016, 08:15 AM
It seems as though it would be quite difficult to mass-produce a quality leaning trike design. Even without leaning, the Spyders are fairly complex. I'd imagine that the development, manufacturing, and assembly of a leaner would make it cost prohibitive. Some of the YouTube vids of the leaning trikes are pretty awesome, though. If there were a leaning version of the Spyder available and all things were equal in comparison with the rigid version (cost, reliability, maintenance), I'd probably take the leaner. However, even if it were being mass-produced, there's no doubt that it would be more costly, less reliable, and require more maintenance.
I don't think BRP could find anything difficult? have you seen what they just released for 2017 for a new snowmobile? Their personal watercraft are leaps and bounds ahead of Yamaha and Kawasaki they don't stay still there just dancing out-of-control in Teknowledgy! as Canadians we may not have our own car Company but in recreational products we rock! This is one time I'm proud to be Canadian! There is got to be a prototype up there In Quebec ready to go Mark my word here comes! Lamont sure is quiet about this hey Lamont what do you know?

Shootinjimster
02-27-2016, 09:04 AM
I don't see any way of taking the Spyder with the geometry it has now and making it lean. They would have to so radically redesign it they might as well start with a clean sheet. That would definitely be cheaper.

As to a niche market, I love the fact that the manufacturers are exploring new ideas. I don't understand the pushback when it comes to introducing new ideas. I believe at one time that the Spyder was a new idea.

http://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2016%2F02%2F111.jpg
Yamaha thinks someone will buy this. I would certainly be interested in trying one.

http://rideapart.com/articles/three-wheel-yamaha-fz-09-headed-production

Do we really want to ride in a world where the newest technology on a bike is the shovelhead engine.

FIRECAT
02-27-2016, 09:41 AM
I don't see any way of taking the Spyder with the geometry it has now and making it lean. They would have to so radically redesign it they might as well start with a clean sheet. That would definitely be cheaper.

As to a niche market, I love the fact that the manufacturers are exploring new ideas. I don't understand the pushback when it comes to introducing new ideas. I believe at one time that the Spyder was a new idea.

Yamaha thinks someone will buy this. I would certainly be interested in trying one.

Do we really want to ride in a world where the newest technology on a bike is the shovelhead engine.
See that's what I'm talking about Yamaha is committed with this to go production anytime now BRP will not LET Yamaha take the three wheel market away mark my word if it's not 2017 it will be at the Valcourt party June 4 -6 2017 as a 2018 model! That is why they are throwing a Big party at the factory it will be epic! You should see how fierce they are rivals in the watercraft and snowmobile and four wheeler industry they are not best of friends!🙌🏁

Mike Ard
02-27-2016, 09:58 AM
BRP may have patented the design in order to lock others out of it's use... :dontknow:
If that bike exists; don't expect to hear anything about it... They'll keep it EXTRA "close to their vests", until it's ready. nojoke

Its been a while since I paid much attention but I seem to remember the big issue a few years ago was that Harley held the patent on leaning three wheelers.

Bob Denman
02-27-2016, 03:51 PM
BRP was working around it with a computer-controlled system, that would lean the bike into the turns for you...

jmurray
02-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Can across this YouTube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWyCH7DjQzU

Bob Denman
02-27-2016, 07:09 PM
GREAT video! :clap: :2thumbs:
Thanks! :thumbup:

I've seen the Tilting MotorWorks bikes up close.
While I don't care for them; they might just "scratch your itch"! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-28-2016, 01:46 AM
Edit: Oops. I see someone already posted the video link but here my comment anyway.

Somebody posted this Motorcycle.com link earlier but here it is again. These guys speak fairly positively of the Tilting Motor Works conversion of a HD. They do mention something about the steering being a bit odd, but I don't recall exactly what it is. Didn't bother to watch the video again to catch the comment but I think it's something like counter steering exists at lower speeds, but at higher speeds you have to really steer, or vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWyCH7DjQzU

latony007
02-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Im dying to try one of these see how it performs in comparison not to a spyder but to a regular sport bike. If i could get the same performance out of this as my sport bike i would be all over it. Its obviously not meant to replace a spyder, especially an RT. Like the sport bike i have now there is enough storage on this for basically your registration under the seat lol.

isthatahemi
04-16-2016, 12:20 PM
A leaning Spyder, should be built. I ride a snowmobile every winter all winter, for the past 20 years, and I strongly feel the Spyder's on real flaw is it leaning the wrong way. I love my Spyder, but it acts like a centifuge, and that's not ideal. The fact is they could narrow it by a foot or more, improve the whole riding experience, and have fewer drawbacks. I am buying the next big name brand leaner on the market. I'd like a Honda Neowing, but I'd bet money Yamaha gets to the market first.

And some of the comments above are pretty uniformed...."haven't seen a successful leaning trike"? In the Internet age we live in that is just a display of ignorance that leaves me confused. There are many scooters and aftermarket leaning trike conversions that make our Spyder's look like 60's technology.

Shootinjimster
04-16-2016, 01:19 PM
I saw two articles from this year about about the MWT-9.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/yamaha-mwt-9-three-wheeler-bound-for-production/30875.html

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/yamaha-mwt-9-leaning-trike-set-to-enter-production-104923.html

Yamaha is also working on a pretty cool offroad leaning scooter. Likes like a blast.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-16-2016, 01:46 PM
A leaning Spyder, should be built. I ride a snowmobile every winter all winter, for the past 20 years, and I strongly feel the Spyder's on real flaw is it leaning the wrong way. I love my Spyder, but it acts like a centifuge, and that's not ideal. The fact is they could narrow it by a foot or more, improve the whole riding experience, and have fewer drawbacks. I am buying the next big name brand leaner on the market. I'd like a Honda Neowing, but I'd bet money Yamaha gets to the market first.

And some of the comments above are pretty uniformed...."haven't seen a successful leaning trike"? In the Internet age we live in that is just a display of ignorance that leaves me confused. There are many scooters and aftermarket leaning trike conversions that make our Spyder's look like 60's technology.
All of the above is your opinion. None of it is irrefutable fact. I know of no mass produced leaning three wheeler suitable for Interstate riding. That is what is meant by, "haven't seen a successful leaning trike".

Of course the Spyder acts like a centrifuge. All vehicles going around a curve do. That's physics. What's different is how the design accommodates the forces involved.

Bob Denman
04-16-2016, 02:40 PM
;) They're not going to build it... They just put enough work into it, so that they could tie some design elements up with patents...