PDA

View Full Version : FYI Keys

OlJim
02-24-2016, 12:09 PM
One of my 2011 RT transponder keys was destroyed in a fire so I stopped at dealer to get it replaced. $54.00 later I walked out with a new cut key but since I wasn't riding the bike they couldn't program it. A week or so later, just for grins i tried the key in the trunk to see if it worked and to my surprise the new key would not go into the trunk or the ignition lock. Upon closer inspection you could see that the groves in the new key did not match the original. I returned the key to the dealer and he said he had never heard of such a thing and proceed to test the new key in all the Spyders he had on the floor. The new key fit all of them (2) perfectly. We then went to the repair shop to see if they had any older units we could test the key on. They didn't have any earlier models but had two new units and low and behold the key couldn't be inserted into one of them. We left the repair shop with the clerk totally confused but he did cut me a new blank and it fits perfectly. I tried unsuccessfully to get it programmed at the local Ace hardware. If I can catch some decent weather will ride the bike in and pay the $23.00 to get it programmed.

Bob Denman
02-24-2016, 12:13 PM
By "Programmed"; do mean "cloned"? :dontknow:
If that's what you want done: take your good key, and this new one to a locksmith, and say that you want it cloned...:thumbup:

finless
02-24-2016, 12:16 PM
If your new key is a stock Can-AM Spyder key, they cannot be programmed. They are already "hard" programmed with a ID in them. You add the new key to your 2011 RT using the dealer RED master key.

See my videos about it.

About keys cloning and Stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEN2c9x8K0

Programming keys into your Spyder (2010-2013):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xbXEE_ky4

Bob

OlJim
02-24-2016, 12:17 PM
If that's what you want done: take your good key, and this new one to a locksmith, and say that you want it cloned...:thumbup:
Tried one locksmith and they couldn't clone it either.

finless
02-24-2016, 12:19 PM

You cannot "write" to a Can-Am key. They are not writable! No locksmith can help here.

The OP doesn't say what his new key is but I am assuming he bought a real Spyder key from the dealer.

Again see my videos explaining the process for both using a Can-Am real Spyder key and cloning using an aftermarket "writeable" key.

Bob

billybovine
02-24-2016, 12:20 PM
One of my 2011 RT transponder keys was destroyed in a fire so I stopped at dealer to get it replaced. $54.00 later I walked out with a new cut key but since I wasn't riding the bike they couldn't program it. A week or so later, just for grins i tried the key in the trunk to see if it worked and to my surprise the new key would not go into the trunk or the ignition lock. Upon closer inspection you could see that the groves in the new key did not match the original. I returned the key to the dealer and he said he had never heard of such a thing and proceed to test the new key in all the Spyders he had on the floor. The new key fit all of them (2) perfectly. We then went to the repair shop to see if they had any older units we could test the key on. They didn't have any earlier models but had two new units and low and behold the key couldn't be inserted into one of them. We left the repair shop with the clerk totally confused but he did cut me a new blank and it fits perfectly. I tried unsuccessfully to get it programmed at the local Ace hardware. If I can catch some decent weather will ride the bike in and pay the $23.00 to get it programmed.

I have never heard of that before. The old keys (2013 and earlier) and new keys (2014 and later) are suppose to have the same profile. They just have a different transponder chip. Any pictures?

For your 2011 only someone with a master key (likely dealer) can program the new BRP key to the Spyder. ACE Hardware and other locksmith can only clone a cloneable key. The BRP key is not cloneable.