PDA

View Full Version : PDM60 and Powerlet

jmurray
02-24-2016, 11:54 AM
I have begun planning my near term farkle for adding a Powerlet beneath my rear left handle. Per Glyde by Gerbing’s user manual and if I’ll ride with full warm gear, my total amp draw for socks (2.2), pants liner (4), jacket liner (6.9), and gloves (2.2), will be 15.3 APMs.

For the PDM60, there highest continues circuit is rated at 15 AMP. Therefore, I will have to connect two circuits together to account for the additional 0.3 AMP if I’m riding with full gear.

The Powerlet low profile socket kit is rated at 15 AMP. Does anyone know if there are any tolerances on these sockets?

Thanks

vondalyn
02-24-2016, 01:28 PM
and see if you find something. If not, give them a call. I've had powerlet outlets on both of my spyders and it's been great. I only heat my upper half, so not full gear. I've also used it (with a cigarette adapter which I carry around with me) with a compressor and had no issues while helping some other motorcyclists pump up a flat tire. Don't know the amps that drew though. My powerlet is only attached to a 15 am fuse and key on only.

jmurray
02-24-2016, 02:02 PM
and see if you find something. If not, give them a call. I've had powerlet outlets on both of my spyders and it's been great. I only heat my upper half, so not full gear. I've also used it (with a cigarette adapter which I carry around with me) with a compressor and had no issues while helping some other motorcyclists pump up a flat tire. Don't know the amps that drew though. My powerlet is only attached to a 15 am fuse and key on only.

Thanks Vondalyn for the reply and good advice.

I called Powerlet (good tech support) and was told the tolerance is in the heated gear not the socket but, the socket should be fine at 15.3 APMs. Additionally, he stated that in his experience, the APMs that are listed for heated gear is at max draw. Meaning, if the regulator is on high for a continues period of time. The most that will happen is a blown fuse but in my case restarting the bike to reset the PDM.

Rowe Electronic's doesn’t have a customer service number so I had to submit an online support request for the PDM60. I asked them if I really needed to use two circuits (per there online FAQ for APM draws over 15 AMP) for an additional 0.3 AMP. I’m waiting to hear their response.

fratzba
02-24-2016, 11:41 PM
From the PDM FAQ on their website: http://pdm60.com/product-faq/

What if I have an item that draws more than 15Amps? (http://pdm60.com/product-faq/#)No sweat, we’ve recently added a 20A capable circuit (circuit #5) that can be used to power intermittent applications like Stebel horns, etc. The 20A circuit is recommended for intermittent use only. If 20A is not enough, you can also run parallel circuits. You utilize two (or three) of the circuits (i.e. two 15A circuits=30A) to power your device. You just connect multiple circuit leads to your device power lead, ground your device to the frame or other suitable ground point, and you’re up and running, fully protected. Keep in mind that any load will be split equally among the circuits used, so each of the circuits used must be able to its portion of the total load. i.e. two circuits, 50% of total load each

So, there is a 20a circuit available.

FYI -Fratz

jmurray
02-25-2016, 10:14 AM
From the PDM FAQ on their website: http://pdm60.com/product-faq/

What if I have an item that draws more than 15Amps? (http://pdm60.com/product-faq/#)

No sweat, we’ve recently added a 20A capable circuit (circuit #5) that can be used to power intermittent applications like Stebel horns, etc. The 20A circuit is recommended for intermittent use only. If 20A is not enough, you can also run parallel circuits. You utilize two (or three) of the circuits (i.e. two 15A circuits=30A) to power your device. You just connect multiple circuit leads to your device power lead, ground your device to the frame or other suitable ground point, and you’re up and running, fully protected. Keep in mind that any load will be split equally among the circuits used, so each of the circuits used must be able to its portion of the total load. i.e. two circuits, 50% of total load each

So, there is a 20a circuit available.

FYI -Fratz

Thanks Fratz for the FYI

I read through the FAQ also but that’s partially applicable in this case because it states, “...recommended for intermittent use only “. I plan to add additional Gerbing gear for next fall riding and I’m comfortable where I have my setting on the controller which, is at a continuous Current.

Per my original post, I’m aware that with the PDM60 I have to combining two circuits together but my question was about the Powerlet socket AMP draw. I’m good now with the tech support feedback.