PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used 2011 Rt from Dealer w/ 6800 miles. Any known issues with this model?

Naben
02-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Im about to purchase a 2011 Spyder Rt from a Dealer in Ga. Are there any known issues with this model that I should be aware of? Also the dealer wants to sell me a 3 yr ext warranty for $1800. I think thats a little high. Are there any other options for finding another company out there to get an affordable ext warrenty?

Bob Denman
02-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Ask the dealer if the throttle bodies have been replaced. He can hook it up to BUDS, and give you a definite answer...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

Naben
02-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Ask the dealer if the throttle bodies have been replaced. He can hook it up to BUDS, and give you a definite answer...
Good Luck! :thumbup:
What happens when they go bad?

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-22-2016, 10:31 PM
..:welcome:....Friend it's really in your best interest to be as forthcoming with info about as possible...The ext. warranty they are offering ...is it from B.E.S.T. -- if not I would not be interested......Also is it the type that is ONLY good at THEIR dealership...because that's a RED FLAG IMHO..........also what is the cost of this Spyder and what model RT is it ????..What type of transmission ??? etc........ There are a lot of knowledgeable , helpful people here , but they have to have info in order to REALLY be helpful to you................That dealer might convince you that $ 15,000 is a bargain for it , and then you find out here that you got ripped off............Mike :thumbup:

Bfromla
02-22-2016, 10:50 PM
..:welcome:....Friend it's really in your best interest to be as forthcoming with info about as possible...The ext. warranty they are offering ...is it from B.E.S.T. -- if not I would not be interested......Also is it the type that is ONLY good at THEIR dealership...because that's a RED FLAG IMHO..........also what is the cost of this Spyder and what model RT is it ????..What type of transmission ??? etc........ There are a lot of knowledgeable , helpful people here , but they have to have info in order to REALLY be helpful to you................That dealer might convince you that $ 15,000 is a bargain for it , and then you find out here that you got ripped off............Mike :thumbup:

I very much agree. What is dealers name & BBB rating? Can u get the vin number & run it your self? Lot more questions to feel out..... Did you find dealer on your own, or recommend by good friend? You know or can find other spyder riders that may vouch for said dealer?? Low miles spyder is not un heard of & extended warranty info needs scrutiny to details. Do yourself a favor find another dealer..... Ask details about warranty without mentioning concerns of what you found. (Play dumb). Hopefully you will end up a happy new spyder owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naben
02-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Thanks for your concern, that's why Im asking. I need to know before I sign the papers. The model is 2011 RT-S SM5 for 14,999. The sales person just responded to my email and said the throttle bodies have been replaced and he will give me a readout of when they did it. He said they've only put about 100 miles from test driving since they were replaced.
The warrenty they are trying to sell me is with a company called "Xtremegard". The sales person said I could use it at any motorsports dealer., and i would only have a $50 deductible. Covers: engine, Transmission, primary drive, drive axle assy, fuel sys, front and rear suspension, steering, brake, electrical, gauges, water pump, pick up and delivery, trip interruption, and vehicle rental exp..
i year for $899, 2 for $1399 and 3 yrs for $1899. s that higher than normal for ext warranty or in the normal range?

Naben
02-22-2016, 11:16 PM
I very much agree. What is dealers name & BBB rating? Can u get the vin number & run it your self? Lot more questions to feel out..... Did you find dealer on your own, or recommend by good friend? You know or can find other spyder riders that may vouch for said dealer?? Low miles spyder is not un heard of & extended warranty info needs scrutiny to details. Do yourself a favor find another dealer..... Ask details about warranty without mentioning concerns of what you found. (Play dumb). Hopefully you will end up a happy new spyder owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dealer is Gainsville motorsports in Gainsville ga. The vin # for the bike is 2BXJBHC10BV000372. its only had one prev owner who traded it in for the new F3

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-23-2016, 01:25 AM
...OK, let's forget the ( LAME ) warranty for a minute........$ 14,999 for a 2011 RT-S manual shift is $ 3,000 more than market value......it doesn't matter how low the mileage...........If you check KBB & NADA prices ( and they are all higher than real world prices ) you find out some idea what it's really worth.....Also see what they are selling for on E-bay..........You don't have to buy one there just look.........And if that warranty ISN'T - USEABLE at any BRP dealership it isn't worth SQUAT......plus that price is much higher than the BRP - B.E.S.T. - WARRANTY which is the one from the company..................Don't be so eager to buy, that you allow yourself to get pressured into something that after you gain some Spyder knowledge you say WHY DIDN'T I WAIT until I learned more.....................I'm just trying to help make your first Spyder experience a great one....PS, right now there is a 2015 F-3 on E-bay for $16,000 and this has the much preferred 1330 Ace triple cyl. engine..................................Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
02-23-2016, 01:38 AM
I have to disagree with Mike that only the warranty worth while is the one from BEST. If the unit is out of warranty you can't buy a BEST. My 2012 was in this situation when I bought it from a private party. I wanted a warranty so I found a power sports dealer near me and asked them about a warranty. They offered me one from Zurich.It has a $50 deductible. I paid $1299 for two years but I had no leverage to negotiate a lower price as I wasn't buying anything else from him. I recently had the misfortune to have to actually use the warranty to replace a burned out compressor wiring and relay. The bill was close to $500.00 all covered by Zurich. I paid my $50 deductible and rode home a happy camper. BTW the repairing dealer is not the warranty seller. It was a simple process for High Aventure,as per their report. They called Zurich, got an authorization number, did the work, submitted the claim, got paid.

Now you on the other hand have leverage and might be able to get something knocked of the price of the warranty. And the bike. Check out Cycle Trader for current selling prices on the model you are looking it. Good luck and enjoy your new Spyder. Buying mine was the best thing I've done in a long time

Bam Bam and Pebbles
02-23-2016, 01:51 AM
...OK, let's forget the ( LAME ) warranty for a minute........$ 14,999 for a 2011 RT-S manual shift is $ 3,000 more than market value......it doesn't matter how low the mileage...........If you check KBB & NADA prices ( and they are all higher than real world prices ) you find out some idea what it's really worth.....Also see what they are selling for on E-bay..........You don't have to buy one there just look.........And if that warranty ISN'T - USEABLE at any BRP dealership it isn't worth SQUAT......plus that price is much higher than the BRP - B.E.S.T. - WARRANTY which is the one from the company..................Don't be so eager to buy, that you allow yourself to get pressured into something that after you gain some Spyder knowledge you say WHY DIDN'T I WAIT until I learned more.....................I'm just trying to help make your first Spyder experience a great one....PS, right now there is a 2015 F-3 on E-bay for $16,000 and this has the much preferred 1330 Ace triple cyl. engine..................................Mike :thumbup:

I agree with most of what you say Mike, but if he has someone who is going to ride with him a lot, an F-3 really isn't going to do him much good. I am currently looking for a new RT and when I showed my wife the F-3, she replied oh H. F. N. I'll let you guys figure out what that stands for.

Plus I see there are a lot more people awake at this time of night. I am at work, what is y'alls excuse?

pegasus1300
02-23-2016, 02:01 AM
"Plus I see there are a lot more people awake at this time of night. I am at work, what is y'alls excuse?"

Law and Order, insomnia, internet addiction take your pick. I worked rotating shifts for years so now sometimes I have a hard time going to bed.

Blade
02-23-2016, 03:08 AM
Thanks for your concern, that's why Im asking. I need to know before I sign the papers. The model is 2011 RT-S SM5 for 14,999. The sales person just responded to my email and said the throttle bodies have been replaced and he will give me a readout of when they did it. He said they've only put about 100 miles from test driving since they were replaced.
The warrenty they are trying to sell me is with a company called "Xtremegard". The sales person said I could use it at any motorsports dealer., and i would only have a $50 deductible. Covers: engine, Transmission, primary drive, drive axle assy, fuel sys, front and rear suspension, steering, brake, electrical, gauges, water pump, pick up and delivery, trip interruption, and vehicle rental exp..
i year for $899, 2 for $1399 and 3 yrs for $1899. s that higher than normal for ext warranty or in the normal range?

I had an opportunity to buy a 2012 RTS with a CB, and GPS for about the same price that you quoted and it only had 5000 miles on her. My point is that I would check with more than one place or person before you buy to ensure you are getting the best deal. BTW I ended up buying a 2015 RTS SE6 for about 6K more with no miles and I did the break in. I think I got a better deal than the first one I heard. Just my two cents.

I just can't sleep, plus I'm retired I don't have to punch a clock.

Blade

DrewNJ
02-23-2016, 07:23 AM
IMHO that sounds like a reasonable starting point for that machine. About $13k is what I would expect to pay from a dealer.
I don't believe in extended warranties as I do all my own work. However, I'd expect some type of short warranty from the dealer though to make sure there are no issues as to why it was traded...3mo/3k mi??
An 11' RTS SM5 is going to be about as reliable as it gets for the RT, especially since the throttle bodies have been replaced.
Good Luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Snowbelt Spyder
02-23-2016, 07:51 AM
I bought an Xtremegard warranty as that was all my dealer was offering in 2012. At the time, it wasn't that expensive, though. Since then they have stopped offering that one altogether since that company is so hard to deal with. If you can review the contract booklet, you'll see that they list specific items that are covered, and list about 5 pages of exclusions. And if something isn't on the covered list they won't cover it. Period. For example, they would NOT cover the air compressor replacement. Turns out that to me, they designed their coverage around components that hardly ever fail…but it looks good on paper. Sometimes an extended warranty almost pays for itself - as when you need to replace a water pump seal or something like that - but you need to get the right one. Based on personal experience, I wouldn't recommend that one.

Grandpot
02-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Be careful of a third party warranty. I own an auto repair shop and have experience with them. They will tell you the deductible is $50, but don't tell you the maximum hourly rate they will pay the shop.

Example:
If the shop charges $100/hour and the warranty company pays only $60/hour, you will be stuck paying the difference of $40/hour on top of the deductible.

Read the small print.

Naben
02-23-2016, 09:56 AM
I bought an Xtremegard warranty as that was all my dealer was offering in 2012. At the time, it wasn't that expensive, though. Since then they have stopped offering that one altogether since that company is so hard to deal with. If you can review the contract booklet, you'll see that they list specific items that are covered, and list about 5 pages of exclusions. And if something isn't on the covered list they won't cover it. Period. For example, they would NOT cover the air compressor replacement. Turns out that to me, they designed their coverage around components that hardly ever fail…but it looks good on paper. Sometimes an extended warranty almost pays for itself - as when you need to replace a water pump seal or something like that - but you need to get the right one. Based on personal experience, I wouldn't recommend that one.

Thanks for your input. Going to call another dealer and see if they will sell me a BEST warrenty.

Naben
02-23-2016, 10:01 AM
I have to disagree with Mike that only the warranty worth while is the one from BEST. If the unit is out of warranty you can't buy a BEST. My 2012 was in this situation when I bought it from a private party. I wanted a warranty so I found a power sports dealer near me and asked them about a warranty. They offered me one from Zurich.It has a $50 deductible. I paid $1299 for two years but I had no leverage to negotiate a lower price as I wasn't buying anything else from him. I recently had the misfortune to have to actually use the warranty to replace a burned out compressor wiring and relay. The bill was close to $500.00 all covered by Zurich. I paid my $50 deductible and rode home a happy camper. BTW the repairing dealer is not the warranty seller. It was a simple process for High Country, they called Zurich, got an authorization number did the work, submitted the claim, got paid.

Now you on the other hand have leverage and might be able to get something knocked of the price of the warranty. And the bike. Check out Cycle Trader for current selling prices on the model you are looking it. Good luck and enjoy your new Spyder. Buying mine was the best thing I've done in a long time

Thanks for your input. i have been checking prices for over a month and the lowest price I found on that year was 13500. I tried to get them to come down on the price but they would not budge. they said they had dropped the price twice before hand. And some of the ones that were 13500 had a lot of miles on them, between 10k-20k.

sealfloorboards
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
I loved my 2011 RT SE5. It gave me about 40,000 miles of fun. I did put my Seal Floorboards on it AND a heat shield from Spyderpops. The two make a huge difference in my riding comfort.

Naben
02-23-2016, 10:35 AM
I loved my 2011 RT SE5. It gave me about 40,000 miles of fun. I did put my Seal Floorboards on it AND a heat shield from Spyderpops. The two make a huge difference in my riding comfort.

Thanks, thats good to know. I will look into those extras for myself. Whats was the reason for the heat shield?

pegasus1300
02-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Be careful of a third party warranty. I own an auto repair shop and have experience with them. They will tell you the deductible is $50, but don't tell you the maximum hourly rate they will pay the shop.

Example:
If the shop charges $100/hour and the warranty company pays only $60/hour, you will be stuck paying the difference of $40/hour on top of the deductible.

Read the small print.

My experience with Zurich is that they also did not just accept the hourly rate that High Adventure in Salt Lake City quoted them. I don't know what the difference was but I apparently dodged a bullet as they told me the rate paid was lower then the rate charged. High Adventure however did not pass the difference on to me.:bowdown::bowdown:. I too usually do my own work,however there are so many strange systems and electronic issues I am not used to dealing with on a motorcycle I felt that some coverage would be worthwhile. So far that has proved to be the case. My plan was that if Zurich did not cover the repair I would do it myself using the aftermarket compressor found by others on this site.

As to the price of your machine I think many are forgetting that there is a trailer involved also. It will be harder to check the combination price but a little research should net you a clearer idea.
It also hasn't been mentioned(at least I didn't see it) but if you haven't read Do's and Don'ts listed at the beginning of the General Discussion forum you are missing a lot of good information on the VTwin and the 1330. I would have liked a 1330 also but my wallet said VTwin. There was over a $100 a month difference that I didn't have. I love my twin. I like the way it revs and loves to rev. I like the power delivery. For me it is smooth and comfortable and my wife enjoys it. I have had 8 months of enjoyment I wouldn't have had if I decided to wait and that has an incalculable value. Make the best deal you can. If you are happy then it doesn't matter what anybody else says you should have done. YOU are happy. If you can't get a deal you are happy about walk away. There truly are a lot of other horses out there.

ARtraveler
02-23-2016, 03:51 PM
I am also in the camp of not liking "non BEST" warranties. Any motorsports shop does not necessarily work on or know about :ani29:'s. If someone screws it up, you can have some real issues.

Price for a 2011 manual does seem a bit high--even with the low miles. I have been trying to sell our 2011 RT (A & C) with a little over 20K miles on it for $13.5K. Perfect in every way. We replaced the throttle bodies early on and the machine has been trouble free except for tires, alignment, and regular oil changes.

Now, some things are coming up (more in about a week) that may prevent me from seeking a new F3 LTD when they arrive here sometime in April.

pegasus1300
02-23-2016, 04:14 PM
"I am also in the camp of not liking "non BEST" warranties. Any motorsports shop does not necessarily work on or know about :ani29:'s. If someone screws it up, you can have some real issues. "

And maybe I wasn't too clear. I only bought the warranty from a non Can AM Spyder power sports store. They do sell other BRP products. Any work I can't do myself I have done at High Adventure Power Sports a great Spyder dealer in Salt Lake City. They only sell as an extended warranty the BEST. As I have said BEST is not available if your factory and extended warranties have expired. At that point if you want some protection you have to look elsewhere. That is how I found Zurich and so far they have worked as advertised.

jtoro1
02-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Zurich extended warranty has worked awesome for me and I'll get another Zurich for my next bike coming next week , I'll be selling my bike with the Zurich extended warranty good till 2019 with no deductible which will help the new owner after I get my new scooter, I have a 2012 SM5 the price you're being quoted seems to me a little high I'll be selling mine for less than that I have not put it on the market yet.

Naben
02-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Zurich extended warranty has worked awesome for me and I'll get another Zurich for my next bike coming next week , I'll be selling my bike with the Zurich extended warranty good till 2019 with no deductible which will help the new owner after I get my new scooter, I have a 2012 SM5 the price you're being quoted seems to me a little high I'll be selling mine for less than that I have not put it on the market yet.

Have you veer heard of Cornerstone for ext warranties? I checked another Canam dealer , Conyers MMS, and they are willing to sell me an ext warranty for a little less than the Xstreamegard warranty that the dealer Im buying the bike from.

I did a search on Conyers MMs on the site and it seems they have nothing but praise as a great repair shop.

Naben
02-23-2016, 09:28 PM
I am also in the camp of not liking "non BEST" warranties. Any motorsports shop does not necessarily work on or know about :ani29:'s. If someone screws it up, you can have some real issues.

Price for a 2011 manual does seem a bit high--even with the low miles. I have been trying to sell our 2011 RT (A & C) with a little over 20K miles on it for $13.5K. Perfect in every way. We replaced the throttle bodies early on and the machine has been trouble free except for tires, alignment, and regular oil changes.

Now, some things are coming up (more in about a week) that may prevent me from seeking a new F3 LTD when they arrive here sometime in April.

This is a dealer and not a private seller. I really don't expect to get the same leverage from a dealer as a private seller, but its still under the blue book value and it has low mileage, so im very happy about that, and Im buying an ext warranty.

Jeriatric
02-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your input. Going to call another dealer and see if they will sell me a BEST warrenty.

It's my understanding no one offers extended warranties for a bike that old. Should you find out different ~ please let us know.

My 2011 BEST warranty(5 year) expires late May this year.

Naben
02-23-2016, 09:36 PM

Ive noticed that people seem to sell their Spyders pretty frequently. When i buy this spyder i dont have any intentions on selling it off quickly. I want to get my mileage worth from it. What is the life average miles on a spyder? Does anyone know?

Naben
02-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks for helping me with my decision to buy the bike. I pick it up Sat! Can't wait!

Naben
02-23-2016, 10:08 PM
It's my understanding no one offers extended warranties for a bike that old. Should you find out different ~ please let us know.

My 2011 BEST warranty(5 year) expires late May this year.

I did. They told me to come in Sat with the bike to inspect it.

Buckeye Bleau
02-24-2016, 08:28 AM

I bought a 2013 RT Limited Automatic with 12,686 miles in August 2015 for $18,990. I am in Ohio, got it from an Indian, Ploaris, Cadillac dealer in Florida with warranty (B.E.S.T.) until fall 2017. The dealer did a full service and installed new tires before the buy. This was all done on EBay. I used UShip.com and got it hauled up here in an enclosed trailer for a little more than $400. Based on my purchase, I think you can do better, but in any case you will still have no regrets once you start ryding it.

keefer
02-24-2016, 08:56 AM
If you would rather have the 1330 motor, there may be better deals out there. I bought my wife's 2014 RT Limited with 2000 miles for $18000 in December. It already had a hand brake installed. It also has over a year left on the B.E.S.T. warranty. Her dad is thinking about getting one and we have found several 2014s close to that price.

Bob Denman
02-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Thanks for helping me with my decision to buy the bike. I pick it up Sat! Can't wait!

:clap::congrats: Now ; the fun can REALLY begin!! :yes::yes::yes:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124679&stc=1

bronzeflex42
02-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Have you veer heard of Cornerstone for ext warranties? I checked another Canam dealer , Conyers MMS, and they are willing to sell me an ext warranty for a little less than the Xstreamegard warranty that the dealer Im buying the bike from.

I did a search on Conyers MMs on the site and it seems they have nothing but praise as a great repair shop.
I just used MMS in Conyers last month for the first time for my service needs and a few other things. not repair issues, but some accessories added. the first experience with the dealership was great and helpful.

ARtraveler
02-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Ive noticed that people seem to sell their Spyders pretty frequently. When i buy this spyder i dont have any intentions on selling it off quickly. I want to get my mileage worth from it. What is the life average miles on a spyder? Does anyone know?

There are some :ani29:'s out there with over 100,000 miles on them. New and improved has always called out to me. So far, my most mileage on one :spyder2: has been 36,500.

007james
07-15-2016, 09:03 PM
My 2012 RT Limited just clocked 36,000 miles on it today, and still runs like a Rolex Watch, and growls like a Raped Ape when I crack the throttle. Dealer has done all Servce, and I plan on putting many more miles on it, unless,.........I see a Deal on a new one that I can't refuse, or A new Spyder sppears in the line up with a V4 Engine!

There are some :ani29:'s out there with over 100,000 miles on them. New and improved has always called out to me. So far, my most mileage on one :spyder2: has been 36,500.