PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Battery connection 2011 RT-S

EddieSpyder
02-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Bought battery tender since my battery was low one day and had to jump bike. When installing BT,loosened negative side nut under seat by the - symbol. It loosend a little bit and then just kept turning. Now it won't tighten, and there is a black wire under that nut, this wire is a bit loose now. Bike runs ok, but does any one now how to tighten that nut now? HELP!

EddieSpyder

Big Arm
02-20-2016, 11:52 PM
How small are your hands ??? There are a number of post saying ....never, never, never, loosen this nut. :banghead:

cptjam
02-21-2016, 12:08 AM
Buy a box wrench that fits. Bend it into a "U" shape. Use that to hold the bolt while you use another wrench to tighten the nut. Buy a cheap wrench to bend; I used a torch to heat and bend it. 😄

PatriotRider
02-21-2016, 02:49 AM
that's a bitch to fix and I was lucky to read a post just for newbies on here.

I live in Metairie...hit me up if you'd like some help
got a garage full of tools and I think it's a 10mm which I have numerous crappy Chinese combo wrenches I have no problem sacrificing

or hit up a Harbor Freight for one...there's a HF about a mile from me...again, I'm happy to help...just contact me and ride your machine over here

rgds
Mike

Grandpot
02-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Here's something from Lamonster that will be of interest to you. His site has a lot of good info.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/where-not-to-grab-a-ground-on-2008-2012-spyders/

Brentc
02-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Joe, from reading your description of the bent box wrench it got me thinking. Would a crows foot in the right size work? :dontknow:

cptjam
02-21-2016, 10:24 AM
I tried; would not work. What a horrible design! 1 spot weld would fix it, but no chance! Joe

Grandpot
02-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Joe, from reading your description of the bent box wrench it got me thinking. Would a crows foot in the right size work? :dontknow:

That's not a bad idea. I don't know if it will work, but I'm going to check it out next time I have a chance.

OlJim
02-21-2016, 11:14 AM
I used a nut driver chucked in my wireless drill to re-tighten the bolt. The quick start of the drill motor did the trick. I then used a self drilling screw to attach the negative side of the battery tender cable to the frame.

Bob Denman
02-21-2016, 06:11 PM
I personally think that BRP moved the battery up front, JUSY so that they could get rid of that little joke that the engineers left under the seat... :gaah:

As you now know: don't ever loosen it, for any reason whatsoever!