PDA

View Full Version : My Spyder rides "Squirrelly"

Hokiev
02-20-2016, 07:12 PM
My 2015 Spyder RTS (purchased new in Jan. 2016) has been what I consider "Squirrelly" while driving. Some to float all over the road. I decided after reading all the posts about handling issues to go ahead and install BajaRon's SwayBar.

After installing took for a short drive down the street and it was better but still not right.

Today the temps were finally in the low 60's so I took my first extensive ride. It was driving me crazy how twitchy the ride was. I racked my old brain, thinking about what what could be the problem. I then remembered the SwayBar instructions specifically mentioned to be sure tire pressures were within a specific range.

Being a brand new Spyder that was only a month old I never thought the tire pressure could be the problem. Sure enough, front tires were set at 26-27 psi. Dropped to 19-20 and rides like a dream.

Moral to the story is don't assume anything the dealer does for you.

ARtraveler
02-20-2016, 08:23 PM
My question would be--how tight are you holding on to the hand grips? White knuckle driving will make the :spyder2: seem like it has a mind of its own.

I always suggest--pretend there are eggs between your gloves and the grips. Don't break the eggs. See how little input you can use--not how much.

On curves, go slow enough so that you can accelerate around the curve. If you have to brake before the curve, your going to fast.

Plant your outside foot and lean slightly into the curve. It reduces the g forces.

Bfromla
02-20-2016, 08:40 PM
It's usually the little things:roflblack: Glad you found it. You going to get FOBO? Stay on top of:thumbup:

Chupaca
02-20-2016, 08:42 PM
But then you should also always check tires oil and gas as you venture out into the unknown... Glad you found the culprit and you can now enjoy your ryde...:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
02-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Glad you got the tires right, they make a MAJOR difference.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-20-2016, 09:39 PM
:congrats: On your problem-solving skills! :clap: :firstplace:
And thanks for reminding everyone about the "little things".

JayBros
02-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Getting the tire pressure correct was a major step; suggest a TPMS or, cheaper, a good tire gauge and a habit of weekly checking. If your Spyder has not had a laser alignment, it's another very beneficial procedure that, along with proper tire pressure, will save unnecessary tire wear. Congrats, ride safely!

SpyderAnn01
02-20-2016, 10:35 PM
That will definitely make for a bad ride and so will under inflated tires. I'm loving the FOBO, there is no guessing on tire pressure and no wasted crawling around to check the rear tire.

Spyder 42
02-20-2016, 10:39 PM
+1 on the alignment. SWMBOs RTLtd was aligned for one wheel but 1/4" off on the other so curves and crowned roads caused her havoc. I didn't feel much of a problem with the alignment until I rode a spyder that was correctly aligned. Like night and day in the curves.

ingramwc
02-20-2016, 11:59 PM
Go for the Laser Alignment just to give you all the handling advantage available, short of changing the front shocks. good luck and ride safe.:thumbup::thumbup:

BajaRon
02-21-2016, 12:16 AM
I just love happy endings! Though this actually sounds more like a happy beginning! :thumbup:

Showie
02-21-2016, 12:54 AM
I do not remember tire pressure recommendation being that low? I keep mine about 2 lbs lower than spec. :dontknow:

PatriotRider
02-21-2016, 02:44 AM
if you weigh north of 200# like I do, and especially if you wish good handling when riding two up, then the shock springs are not up to par...as in they are too weak with no adjustability

consider what I did is install "spacers" which are made for the snowmobiles, but also will shore up spyder springs.

Post #5
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?90003-HELP-!!!-Polaris-rubber-spring-spacers-install

OJ UK
02-21-2016, 08:06 AM
I can't help but wonder why the dealer supplied the bike with the tire pressures obviously so far out of spec.

Bob Denman
02-21-2016, 08:48 AM
:dontknow: Poor Dealer setup; that's all... :banghead:
It was "neglectful"; not intentional...

Don K
02-21-2016, 08:59 AM
I also am a new Spyder owner and I don't get it.
Seems to me that if BRP makes a bike and as many people have complained about the "same issues" that the bikes would come with the needed swaybar and lazer alignment.
RTS with with seating for two should come from the factory set up and capable of handling that( 2up) - without any required expenses.
Just my opinion: They cost way too much to need adjustments/additions to feel secure/safe.
Don

DrewNJ
02-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Seems to me that if BRP makes a bike and as many people have complained about the "same issues" that the bikes would come with the needed swaybar and lazer alignment.
RTS with with seating for two should come from the factory set up and capable of handling that( 2up) - without any required expenses.
Just my opinion: They cost way too much to need adjustments/additions to feel secure/safe.
Don
Because it's not nearly as bad as the forum wants you to believe. Internet forums, while they can be a good source of info, also have the sheep leading other members to believe it's much worse than it really is. This forum, unfortunately, is REALLY bad about that.
Imagine how many other riders out there that have nothing to do with these forums that ride happily everyday..on completely stock machines. Most would never know there was an "issue" unless someone told them they had one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AY4B
02-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Don
Thats probably because the techs at the dealer do not ryde Spyders.

Darren111
02-21-2016, 11:54 AM
But then you should also always check tires oil and gas as you venture out into the unknown... Glad you found the culprit and you can now enjoy your ryde...:thumbup:

Additional to the above, I also check my coolant and brake fluid levels, all lights, horn, any leaks under my spyder and inspecting tyres for any foreign objects stuck in tread. All checks I do are based on advice from SL. :thumbup:

Fat Baxter
02-21-2016, 04:31 PM
A tip about tire gauges: the cheapo stick gauges can vary greatly from one to another. For example, I have two of such, one of which reads 3 psi more than the other, when measuring the same tire.

Here's what you do: recognizing the above, get a decent gauge. With that gauge, set the tire pressure according to spec. Then, adjust the pressure up and down until it feels right for you. Note those pressure readings, and KEEP THAT GAUGE WITH THAT MACHINE to check your tires. Don't use it on anything else; don't use another gauge on your bike.

Ron2andia
02-21-2016, 05:46 PM
I think an FOBO is in my future👍🏾

PatriotRider
02-21-2016, 07:00 PM
one word (well sorta), FOBO

SpyderSteveFL
02-21-2016, 08:01 PM
+1 on the FOBO, they are awesome - quick glance at the phone and I am good to go - or top off the tires. I had a similar new delivery experience - picked her up brand new from dealer and just assembled, drove it home 65 miles and thought everything was ok (what did I know about handling, etc). The next time out was with a friend and he said my front tires looked low so I checked and sure enough they were like 12-14 so it had to be dealer never fully filled them. Now I keep them at 20 on FOBO and will top up if they get more then .2 psi apart or < 18 and they will swell up to around 23 when hot. Seems to be ok. I do have issues when cornering fast with nanny, but that may be sway bar, alignment or something else.

motoswami
02-21-2016, 09:55 PM
if you weigh north of 200# like I do, and especially if you wish good handling when riding two up, then the shock springs are not up to par...as in they are too weak with no adjustability

consider what I did is install "spacers" which are made for the snowmobiles, but also will shore up spyder springs.

Post #5
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?90003-HELP-!!!-Polaris-rubber-spring-spacers-install

+2 on the Polaris spring rubbers suggestion.

Just did that to mine, using only about 3" of spacer on each spring.
Made a nice positive change. We ride 2-up with frunk/trunk and saddlebags comfortably full

Pete