PDA

View Full Version : Has your Spyder hurt your two-wheel riding skills?

Tanshanomi
02-20-2016, 06:54 AM
I took my little Honda 125 out for a ride yesterday, and I noticed that I was habitually stopping using the rear brake only. I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and would have NEVER done that prior to buying my Spyder. Fortunately, my RS-S has a manual trans, so at least I've stayed proficient with a clutch lever. (That's part of the reason I decided against buying an Aprilia Mana automatic bike a few years ago.)

Have any of you who ride both Spyders and motorcycles found that it has affected your habits and skills, relating to braking, shifting or bike handling?

Vt. Rider
02-20-2016, 07:07 AM
I haven't ridden on 2 wheels since getting my Spyder, but hope to return to 2 wheels soon. I'm a bit apprehensive about my riding technique since I've been "spoiled" with no clutch or front brake. When I first started riding the Spyder, upon braking or downshifting, I kept reaching for that invisible, non-existent break lever. At least the paddle shift kept my clutch hand busy.

Grandpot
02-20-2016, 08:01 AM
I ride my RT-S and Valkyrie equally. The only thing I have to pause and think about is the difference between the way I get on them.

BajaRon
02-20-2016, 09:00 AM
No, hasn't hurt at all. Since I was concerned about this very thing I installed a hand brake on my Spyder. Use it all the time on both my Spyder and my 2 wheeled alternative. Love my hand brake! Would not leave home without it!

Highwayman2013
02-20-2016, 10:45 AM
The only problem I have is remembering to downshift my two wheeler when stopping after riding the RTL http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124480&stc=1SE5.

Chupaca
02-20-2016, 10:50 AM
I haven't gotten on a two wheeler since I got the spyder and really have little intrest at all. I do feel it would take a block or two to regain the controls...:thumbup:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
02-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Sometimes it takes a few seconds for my brain to adjust.

Retired 2012
02-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I would be more worried about failing to put my feet down, ha ha
Loving the F3S and haven't rode a two wheeler in a year.

asp125
02-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Actually, I worry about countersteering on the Spyder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Gunkandpudge
02-20-2016, 05:25 PM
The only thing I've noticed is that on the days I go riding for some reason I forget the shave

:roflblack:

Mo Lee
02-20-2016, 05:55 PM
I try to always rotate between 2 and 3 wheels on a daily basis, of course if there is any chance of ice on the roads it is 3.

WEB-WVR
02-20-2016, 06:00 PM
I doubt it will, but it makes no difference ! At my age I ain't going back ! :yes:

The only thinh effecting my 2 wheel riding skills is my old body ! :joke:

Bob Denman
02-20-2016, 06:07 PM
It's tough to hurt something, that I never had in the first place! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e2RhMoLUDdU

Graptor
02-20-2016, 06:20 PM
I've been mentally neglecting my bike this winter, dreaming exclusively about my Spyder.

SPYDERGUY1
02-20-2016, 07:39 PM
I don't think so. Could probably still go for a good blast on 2 wheels, just not as with much gusto in my previous years. Sold the klr many years ago as was tired of near misses and being run off the road. Then along came the Spyder, after that looking in the shed and remembering the dirt bike got rid of that as well. just the spyder now and a few of the kids toy's , a souped up bmx bike, and a motorized scooter are all that is left. Would not go back to 2 wheels, WAY TOO MUCH FUN ON THREE.

bmccaffrey
02-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Bob u never had or ridden 2 wheels.

What u have for license 3m endorsement.

Thinking about buying 2 wheels to play. Miss the excitement

ARtraveler
02-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Nothing to compare to now. Sold the Vulcan 900 LTD in 2012 so that Linda could get a 2011 RT.

I do have to think when I drive hers now though. She has 5 speeds and two cylinders. I have 6 speeds and three cylinders. :yes:

Bfromla
02-20-2016, 08:32 PM
I found it odd going back to my old bike & try to ride it once a month, not a loss of skills as just remembering old ways. :dontknow: Things that are most noticeable :old bike ('06yamaha 1700)has no windshield or radio:p
Having to down shift again sux:lecturef_smilie: & no driver backrest :gaah: Small personal things i can deal with:thumbup: :doorag: The real fun is having two bikes & works out great I rent old bike out to bud & we go ride:firstplace:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-21-2016, 12:57 AM
I took my little Honda 125 out for a ride yesterday, and I noticed that I was habitually stopping using the rear brake only. I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and would have NEVER done that prior to buying my Spyder. Fortunately, my RS-S has a manual trans, so at least I've stayed proficient with a clutch lever. (That's part of the reason I decided against buying an Aprilia Mana automatic bike a few years ago.)

Have any of you who ride both Spyders and motorcycles found that it has affected your habits and skills, relating to braking, shifting or bike handling?
Not between Spyder and two wheels since I haven't been on a two wheeler after buying the Spyder. But, when I get on my ATV I have to remind myself that not only is there a hand brake I should use, but there are two of them, "right ahead, left behind!" And then I have to remember the foot brake isn't in the same location. My ATV is electric shift but I have to remind myself to down shift. So yes, riding the Spyder does affect my responses!

PistonBlown
02-21-2016, 01:31 AM
Though I no longer have a 2 wheeler I still occasionally ride my mates and have no issues. The problem I have is that I still keep reaching for the handbrake even after 3+ years of riding a Spyder. I've ended up getting/fabricating the bits mentioned in the DIY section of this site on making your own handbrake, fitting that will be one of my winter mods (its summer here).

However I must admit, having ridden a Royal Enfield in the 'development' part of my biking history, to this day I still occasionally go to change gear with my right foot as well.

Bob Denman
02-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Bob u never had or ridden 2 wheels.

:shocked: Which Bob; I've ridden the street since 1978...

Graptor
02-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Nothing to compare to now. Sold the Vulcan 900 LTD in 2012 so that Linda could get a 2011 RT.

I do have to think when I drive hers now though. She has 5 speeds and two cylinders. I have 6 speeds and three cylinders. :yes:

Anytime you can make the wife happy, it's worth it.

Bob Denman
02-21-2016, 10:18 AM
It's not just worth it: it's a mandatory survival skill... :shocked:

:bowdown: "SWMBO"

Bob L
02-21-2016, 10:34 AM
I was a bit concerned about that myself when I headed for a motorcycle vacation in the Swiss Alps in September. It had been about a year since I was on two wheels.

As we rolled off on the rented bikes, I was surprised that within about 50 feet my brain took over and said, "oh, two wheels again." I was extra cautious for the first 50 miles or so and saw that the first few times I had to tell my right hand to brake --- but it quickly all became routine again.

I also noticed when I was back home, the first ride I kept reaching for the front brake on my RTS!

I would not hesitate to jump on two wheels again... actually planning another "fly and ride" vacation for 2017 that we will rent two-wheels.

Bob

scott k
02-21-2016, 10:51 AM
i ride both weekly the only problem i have is the front brake lever that is not on the spyder. i always though it would be putting my feet down at stops. i do ride and enjoy both but, if i could only have one it would be the spyder.

Lew L
02-21-2016, 11:15 AM
I ride my 2 wheelers as often as I can--- Think I'll sell one of them though, but I like them both. The Valkyrie is easy to ride, lots of torque. The V-Max is fast, much lighter( but still heavy by todays standards) Has the look and the reputation.

So I don't have any trouble switching from two to 3 wheels and back.

Kaos

latony007
02-22-2016, 02:16 PM
I have a yamaha sport bike along with my spyder and i have zero issues going back and forth. I am mostly a weekend warrior but usually will get on one or the other every weekend, except the one or two when its too cold :) When i got my first spyder i did try and reach for that non existent hand brake a few times but that didnt last long. now i go between them with no issue.