PDA

View Full Version : TricLED F3 LED Headlights & Fog Lights

SpyRyd
02-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Received TricLED's LED headlights and fog lights for my F3-Limited yesterday. All I can say is WOW! Reggy really knows the value of making a good first impression. These LEDs are very impressive looking from the packaging to the quality of the LEDs. A couple of pics show what I'm talking about. Hope the pics show correctly, if not, maybe someone can turn them for me. The headlight LEDs are on the left (bottom) and the fog light LEDs are on the right (top) in the pics (sorry for the sideways pics, don't know how to turn them).

I'll post more pics as I proceed with the install.

ta-kid
02-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Looking forward to the install pics and final look

dsvogel
02-23-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm interested to know what you think of the difference in lighting and if anyone flashes you for having too bright of lights on low beam? I'm assuming it's an easy install.

jcthorne
02-24-2016, 08:14 AM
I look forward to seeing how or if these actually fit with those big fixed heat sinks on the back. Will be tight if they do fit.

ABQSpyder
02-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Yes it's going to be fun putting the retaining clips back on if they'll even fit.
Are the big heat sink or do they have fans installed for heat issue's.

larryd
02-26-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm seriously thinking of doing the headlights & fog lights with TricLed Led kit...Reggy said the left fog light can be changed from the top without removing the trunk on the 2014 RTS/1330...

I'm ready to jump into this as soon as I see some feed back from others who have completed this...So you guys that have this, GET-ER-DONE...larryd

SpyRyd
02-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Fog lights are readily accessible by removing the side panels. Fog lights can be removed from their bracket by removing two 10mm bolts and disconnecting the harness. Need to completely remove the clip holding the OEM bulb. Once the bulb is removed need to insert the collar removed from the LED in the opening where the bulb was and secure in place with steel wire. Connect the LED electrical connections and reinstall the fog light. Hope the photos help with understanding the above.

SpyRyd
02-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Some more pics.

SpyRyd
02-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Installing the LED headlights is impossible without access through the top or by removing the headlight fixture. The only access to the OEM headlight bulb is through the opening under the lateral service panels. The opening is only big enough to get your hand in (small hand). No problem if your are simply replacing the OEM bulb. But once the rubber boot is installed on the LED it is impossible to secure the LED in the fixture using the wire clips, just no room for a second hand which is needed. I've reached out to a couple of dealer techs I know for advice on getting access to the back of the headlight through the top of the F3 L fairing or getting access by removing the headlight fixture.

ABQSpyder
02-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Thanks
Please keep us updated.
I put XenonDepot HID's not impressed so far.
Getting top off is really not that difficult but even with that it's a nightmare getting the retaining clips on.

SpyRyd
02-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks
Please keep us updated.
I put XenonDepot HID's not impressed so far.
Getting top off is really not that difficult but even with that it's a nightmare getting the retaining clips on.

There are procedures in the owner's manual for getting to the back of the headlights through the top on the F3 and F3S but not for the F3 L or T models.

jmurray
03-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Fog lights are readily accessible by removing the side panels. Fog lights can be removed from their bracket by removing two 10mm bolts and disconnecting the harness. Need to completely remove the clip holding the OEM bulb. Once the bulb is removed need to insert the collar removed from the LED in the opening where the bulb was and secure in place with steel wire. Connect the LED electrical connections and reinstall the fog light. Hope the photos help with understanding the above.

SpyRyd, thanks for providing installation pics. Does the steel wire come with the kit or you have to destroy and reuse the retention clip that was holding the OEM bulb in-place?

dsvogel
03-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Hey SpyRyd, did you ever figure a way to the back of the headlights on the F3T/Limited? I'm in the same boat with XenonDepot lights, and just can't work in that small of a space through the service panel. I took most of my panels apart, looking for a way in. I thought I was going to be able to pull the headlight out, but a braided cable prevents you from pulling it all the way out.

My forearms are sore, and probably gonna be bruised. I'm headed back out to put the stock bulbs in and put it back together. Oh well. :banghead:

SpyRyd
03-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Truthfully not that difficult of an install except the headlight aiming cables created a little bit of a problem. In order to get the aiming cable adjusting bolt head through it's mounting hole I had to remove the seats, the fuel tank cover, the speaker trim, the mirrors, and the side console panel, and loosen a few other pieces. To get to the 4 T30 screws securing each headlight I had to remove the two lateral (left and right) and forward service covers, both side panels, and the console nose. Once the headlights were removed, took them to my kitchen table to install the TricLED LEDs. Getting the rubber boots locked onto the LEDs took some effort (tight fit and only two hands). Securing the LEDs in the headlight assembly using the wire clip that held the OEM bulbs in was easy peasy. Total time, about 3 hours. Cannot imagine doing this install without completely removing the headlights. Not too difficult but don't want to do it again anytime soon. Although the next time it won't take so long.

Pics show the location of the headlight aiming cable and front view of my F3-L SS with all LEDs on.

SpyRyd
03-13-2016, 09:41 AM
SpyRyd, thanks for providing installation pics. Does the steel wire come with the kit or you have to destroy and reuse the retention clip that was holding the OEM bulb in-place?

Steel wire was not included with the LEDs. I was probably the first to install the TricLED LEDs in the OEM fog lights. Worked closely with Reggy from TricLED on the process. I would think the steel wire should be readily available from local hardware stores.

OEM wire clip is not needed for the LED install. I retained the clip and the H3 Halogen bulbs for...whatever.

SpyRyd
03-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Hey SpyRyd, did you ever figure a way to the back of the headlights on the F3T/Limited? I'm in the same boat with XenonDepot lights, and just can't work in that small of a space through the service panel. I took most of my panels apart, looking for a way in. I thought I was going to be able to pull the headlight out, but a braided cable prevents you from pulling it all the way out.

My forearms are sore, and probably gonna be bruised. I'm headed back out to put the stock bulbs in and put it back together. Oh well. :banghead:

The braided cable you mention is the headlight aiming cable. See my earlier post with pics that show where this cable is anchored up above the space opened up when you remove the lateral service covers.

Good luck.

SpyRyd
03-13-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm interested to know what you think of the difference in lighting and if anyone flashes you for having too bright of lights on low beam? I'm assuming it's an easy install.

Diference in color of the lights is evident...Halogen yellow/orange hue, LEDs bright white. Haven't tested these at night yet but have ridden with them during daylight on high beam and no one flashed me, yet.

dsvogel
03-13-2016, 09:05 PM
SpyRyd, thank you for taking the time to explain how you installed your lights, and for providing pictures! :bowdown: It sounds like I was incredibly close to having the headlight housings removed, but I just couldn't see where the headlight aiming cable went. If I'm reading your notes correctly, it sounds like all I have to do is remove the retaining clip for that headlight aiming nut on the underside of that panel, and the headlight housing will pull right out? If that is the case, I might tie a string to that cable so that I can fish it back in the position when I'm done installing the LED light.

I really appreciate you providing this update! You've given me new hope that this can actually be done. :yes: I'll give this a try this week and post back with my results any insights.

SpyRyd
03-14-2016, 05:44 AM
SpyRyd, thank you for taking the time to explain how you installed your lights, and for providing pictures! :bowdown: It sounds like I was incredibly close to having the headlight housings removed, but I just couldn't see where the headlight aiming cable went. If I'm reading your notes correctly, it sounds like all I have to do is remove the retaining clip for that headlight aiming nut on the underside of that panel, and the headlight housing will pull right out? If that is the case, I might tie a string to that cable so that I can fish it back in the position when I'm done installing the LED light.

I really appreciate you providing this update! You've given me new hope that this can actually be done. :yes: I'll give this a try this week and post back with my results any insights.

Yep, remove the retaining clip from the headlight aiming cable nut and the headlight will pull out! You were very close as I was the first time I tried to remove the headlights. I also could not see where the cable ended up and the headlight aming procedures in the owner's manual weren't very helpfull. I tried the 'string" trick also. Still couldn't get enough fingers/hand in there to menuver the aiming cable nut into it's mounting hole. The cable needs to make a fairly sharp bend towards the nut end in order to get the nut aligned with the hole. I tried but wasn't able to do it so opted to remove more "parts" to make the task easier.

You'll get er done this time now that you know how to disconnect the aiming cable. Good luck. Look forward to reading about your success.