PDA

View Full Version : If you knew then what you know now...what would you have done differently?

Dave & Karen
02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Hi, we are new to SpyderLovers and we are looking to purchase a used Spyder RT to travel around in, go to some festivals and have some fun. :2excited:We have been doing a lot of reading and there is so much to consider! If you knew then what you know now, what would you have done differently when you bought your Spyder? :helpsmilie:In other words, what do you think we should take into consideration while we are shopping? What are the MUST HAVES?:dontknow: We are a fifty-something chubby couple about 530 lbs (so weight capacity is an issue:yikes:) that are ready to give up the 2 wheels and get comfy on three. Thanks for responding.

ARtraveler
02-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi, we are new to SpyderLovers and we are looking to purchase a used Spyder RT to travel around in, go to some festivals and have some fun. :2excited:We have been doing a lot of reading and there is so much to consider! If you knew then what you know now, what would you have done differently when you bought your Spyder? :helpsmilie:In other words, what do you think we should take into consideration while we are shopping? What are the MUST HAVES?:dontknow: We are a fifty-something chubby couple about 530 lbs (so weight capacity is an issue:yikes:) that are ready to give up the 2 wheels and get comfy on three. Thanks for responding.

:welcome: I am one who has been on board since day one. Had the first one sold in Alaska, bought four more, have two currently in my garage. Have had GS/RS/and RT models. Four semi auto, one manual, four twin cylinder, and one three cylinder.

No regrets here on any one. My favorite, the 2014 1330. More low end power, quieter, more economical to drive and maintain.

What do I recommend for you? You will need to do a test drive, test sit etc. See what makes you happiest. The weight you mentioned (530#) is about 35# over the recommended limit on the 1330's. You may have to address that issue with modifications to your :spyder2:.

Happy hunting. Let us know how it goes.

Bob Denman
02-17-2016, 01:18 PM
:welcome:
I owned a 2010 RT A&C, and currently own a 2014 RT Limited...
My observations:
Find a bike with the 1330 triple in it. It'll get you better fuel economy, run cooler, have less (or no) transmission issues, and it even has a much more powerful charging system.
Once you've found your bike; ride it for a while, to see what changes you might like to make... I know that "The Farkle's The Thing"; but it's easy to get overwhelmed by the choices. Some saddle-time will help you to prioritize the options.

Copperman
02-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Well, you're in the right forum. As big folks you'll want the larger RT's for comfort.

If you like bells and whistles go with an RT Limited. No matter which RT you go with there will always be something to upgrade or add on. The one thing that's pretty important is adding extra lights. Extra brake lights, front fender lights, side saddlebag lights... anything to be seen.

If you're looking at a V-twin, stay with the 13's. Those have all the upgrades of the newer models, except the motor. If you're wanting the 1330 you can probably get a good deal on a 2014.

Either way you go, you'll have a blast!

Bob Denman
02-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Size and weight...
The 998 bikes are rated to carry 525 pounds
The 1330s are only rated for 494...

It's probably not a big issue; but you should know about it.

OverHillAndDale
02-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Since you're pushing the weight limit, you might to better to tow extra weight like luggage rather than load it. So leave the frunk, trunk and saddlebags for lightweight stuff like gloves and jackets, tow the suitecase. Some of the relatively easy suspension mods (Baja Ron sway bar, coil spring inserts) may help your byke corner with more confidence.

Since many don't like the stock seat, ask to sit on other's Unlimited, Corbin, Mustang (new to the mix) and RDLs to see which one best suits you two. In addition to the primary saddle you may want to consider a new passenger backrest. Ultimate's passenger backrest is a bit deeper-set than the stock backrest. RDL will design a custom seat for you.

I agree with the 1330 as a better choice for the engine. You'll be grateful for the low end torque.

SpyderF3-s
02-17-2016, 02:20 PM
When I was looking at Spyders last year, I was recommended to go with a 1330 engine and a larger/heavier rear shock if riding two up. 1330's are more economical.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-17-2016, 02:39 PM
If cost is not an issue, for the most comfort and fun I would suggest you consider getting two Spyders, one for each of you!

tobor9
02-17-2016, 02:48 PM
My wife and i found Spyders in 2011 and i bought my wife a '11RTS as she always wanted a trike and the :spyder2:was safer and better suited her better then other trikes,later i bought a '11RS as neither one of us liked benign a passenger.We loved riding and going to :spyder2:gatherings and shopping etc. to the point that we sold one car then the other and Sofia traded her '11 for a '14RTL and i later traded for a '15RT,now we ryde only,we have not driven a car in over a year.Be warned,:spyder2:'s are addictive! try so out and get what works for you but we also vote for the 1330 eng that is on the rt's and the F3's,Have fun.:yes:

rwc
02-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Buy a Goldwing Trike

pegasus1300
02-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Your post says you are looking for a used Spyder. Before you do anything read Do's and Don'ts of riding a Spyder. Best place to start. Fortunately I read it soon after buying mine but for me it confirmed the decision my wallet had already made. When buying used find the best price on the newest one,longest warranty lowest miles most equipt. in your price range. Don't be in a hurry.

I wish I had spent more time reading the posts here before I bought. It would have been good to know more about available aftermarket warranties..When I realized I would need one I had to go looking for one as the original owner had not purchased an extended one.It was out of warranty and the Best Warranty was not available because of that. I did find a Can Am powersports dealer but not a Spyder dealer who knew about aftermarket warranties and he hooked me up with one. It has already returned its cost to me.

Grandpot
02-17-2016, 04:26 PM
If cost is not an issue, for the most comfort and fun I would suggest you consider getting two Spyders, one for each of you!

:agree: That's a great idea.

SMAUG
02-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Check
http://www.meetup.com/Wind-Cruisers/

SpyderAnn01
02-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Buy a used 2014 or newer RT. They are so much better than the older models.

flaggerphil
02-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Nothing, really. I did a lot of research before I bought my RT (including other trikes), did some very extensive test rides, and found this forum. Did the trick for me.

Dan McNally
02-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Size and weight...
The 998 bikes are rated to carry 525 pounds
The 1330s are only rated for 494...

It's probably not a big issue; but you should know about it.

I don't know about other years and models, but the 2013 RT is a 998 and the max weight is not 525 - from the user's guide:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124362&stc=1

Graptor
02-17-2016, 07:17 PM

I got to agree, if the wife is up for riding solo. Two less expensive models might be more comfortable. My wife and I are not much smaller and I would rather her ride solo.

i think two machines is better than one on long distance trips as well.

Explorer
02-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Others have given very good advice. I would add, the right service manager is very important. Meet him before you make the deal. Read all of the old posts here. Get a laser alignment.
Good luck.

latony007
02-17-2016, 11:41 PM
First thing i would have done differently is not buy an RS. its nice but not nearly as comfy a seating position as an RT and i did not get a spyder for sporty riding. I have a sport bike for that. i would SERIOUSLY consider not buying a used spyder. First off the 1330 is the way to go and there are not many used out there and all spyders, 1330 and 998 are seriously expensive used. I would much rather have a new RT base model (which i wound up buying) that is just missing a few extras like fog lights, heated passenger grips (all models have heated driver grips) or a GPS (Limited) and a very few other things vs. a used S or limited. the warranty is a huge factor as these are expensive to repair should anything go wrong with a used one and you get the new 1330 engine which has more power, less heat issues and much lower maintenance. My brother has a 2012 and that thing pumps so much heat on a hot day i almost burned my damn leg just riding it. 13s were even worse. The 15 and 16 they moved the radiator farther forward to solve the issue.

SPYDDER
02-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Don't waste your money on a Spyder !!!!

MRH
02-18-2016, 02:30 AM
I would also suggest 2014 or newer. The ST-S, in my mind, is a nice balance between cost and features. There are no meaningful differences between a 2014, 2015 and 2016, so if you can still find a closeout 2015 that would likely be a good value. I suggest the warranty.

Pirate looks at --
02-18-2016, 10:08 AM
Buy a Goldwing Trike

Tip over!:roflblack::roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
02-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Great insights!

Big F
02-18-2016, 10:13 AM

I would suggest get at least get the 2014 model with the 1330 engine. Everyone on this forum will tell you that. Good luck.
BIG F

cuznjohn
02-18-2016, 10:46 AM
is this post only about bikes, or can we add ex's also

cohoff
02-18-2016, 11:50 AM
I would also second the comment about getting two RTs and staying with the 1330. You should be able to find great deals on a 2014 RT. I would also recommend that you stay away from the 2013 models no matter how tempting the price is. That year was known to have issues.

MRH
02-18-2016, 11:56 AM
On the 2013's, the issues really seem to have been fixed, but they may be a far better deal because of it. If price is very important, and if you can find a screaming deal on a 2013 (and can't afford a model year later) then that may be a sweet spot for you.

As to two RT's, perhaps start with one and be sure that is what you want.

Lew L
02-18-2016, 11:57 AM
is this post only about bikes, or can we add ex's also

I MISS MY EX----BUT MY AIM IS GETTING BETTER!!

We really like our '14 RT-s. Of course some changes have been made ( REALLY). But to answer the origional question:

NOTHING

But the sugestion of two :spyder2:S really seems right given the circumstances.

Kaos

ramblin5
02-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Make sure you get one that already has driver floorboards. The cost to add them is exorbitant.

Bob Denman
02-18-2016, 12:39 PM
There's a 2014 RT listed in the 4 Sale area right now... $10,000. :clap:
We're waiting to see if the O.P. will give us some more information about uit... :thumbup:

Dave & Karen
02-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Why do you say don't buy a Spyder? :shocked:

Dave & Karen
02-18-2016, 12:50 PM
You guys are awesome. This information is great. Keep your thoughts and suggestions coming. We have our first test drive on Saturday to check out a used 2012 RT to see how we like the ride. Got to start somewhere.
:2excited:

bigbadbrucie
02-18-2016, 01:02 PM
You guys are awesome. This information is great. Keep your thoughts and suggestions coming. We have our first test drive on Saturday to check out a used 2012 RT to see how we like the ride. Got to start somewhere.

and you will update us on your findings, Right?:clap::doorag:

bronzeflex42
02-18-2016, 02:26 PM
I think that's a good one to start with. :chat: I have had no Mechanical issues with mine. I've had mine a couple of years now.

pegasus1300
02-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Tip over!:roflblack::roflblack:

I had a Goldwing Trike,I couldn't wait to get rid of it,that's why I ride a Spyder:yes::yes: No more subject to tip over then a Spyder.

Bob Denman
02-18-2016, 02:39 PM

:thumbup: The best of luck to you both! :yes:
We'll be waiting to hear your thoughts... :bbq::bbq::bbq: