PDA

View Full Version : Gel_Air Cushions ????

effgjamis
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Not real sure what I am asking for but, I would like some butt comfort.. I have the Corbin seat and I find after a long ride, 1-2 hrs my backside becomes quite unconfortable.. I was told by Corbin that the seat takes about 2,000 miles to break in, well, I am approaching 3,000 and the seat is still hard.
I have a lower back and hip problem and need a softer, supportive cushion rather than having to rebuy expensive seating Like Corbin.. I do like the Corbin but only for short rides.
I would appreciate very much for all the assistance you may wish to give..
Thanking you in advance.

RoHo
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
You might want to look at the Airhawk cushion. The following link will take you to the parent company.
http://www.therohostore.com/Departments/Comfort-Products/AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions.aspx (http://www.therohostore.com/Departments/Comfort-Products/AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions.aspx)

However, the cushion can be purchased $60.00 cheaper at the following link.
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=AirHawk&subbcat=AirHawk_AirHawk_Motorcycle_Seat_Cushion&cart_id=1233249234.13954

NancysToy
02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
For long rides on my BMW, I usually use an Alaska Leathers sheepskin, although I haven't needed it with the Spyder's stock seat. The gel pads never worked for me. I think the best alternative out there is the Roho Airhawk seat pad. AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions (http://www.therohostore.com/Departments/Comfort-Products/AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions.aspx) Same pad they use for wheelchairs. Not cheap, but cheaper than a seat, and readily available.
-Scotty

AMTJIM
02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
If it's still available, check the vendor list of the 2008 Golden Aspen Rally. There was at least 1 saddle mounted gel cushion dealer there. It was a little 1980's with the fur throws that seemed to be on all the tourbikes, but I think they had some other covering too.

RTGENE
02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Freedom Air motorcycle seat cushion . I have used this one for years tried the rest and this is by far the best.
Google Freedom Air cushion----oh yes did I mention its expensive BUTT worth it.

Roaddog2
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
For long rides on my BMW, I usually use an Alaska Leathers sheepskin, although I haven't needed it with the Spyder's stock seat. The gel pads never worked for me. I think the best alternative out there is the Roho Airhawk seat pad. AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions (http://www.therohostore.com/Departments/Comfort-Products/AIRHAWK-Motorcycle-Seat-Cushions.aspx) Same pad they use for wheelchairs. Not cheap, but cheaper than a seat, and readily available.
-ScottyAir Hawk is the way to go I use one on my glide but haven't used on :spyder:yet simple reason why you can ajust it to your liken were with gel it is what it is:ani29:

Donzo
02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I bought a gelpad for my motorcycle - it did not help at all. The airpads are a better way to go.

Dudley
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Not real sure what I am asking for but, I would like some butt comfort.. I have the Corbin seat and I find after a long ride, 1-2 hrs my backside becomes quite unconfortable.. I was told by Corbin that the seat takes about 2,000 miles to break in, well, I am approaching 3,000 and the seat is still hard.
I have a lower back and hip problem and need a softer, supportive cushion rather than having to rebuy expensive seating Like Corbin.. I do like the Corbin but only for short rides.
I would appreciate very much for all the assistance you may wish to give..
Thanking you in advance.

I have a friend who bought a bike that had a Corbin seat. After a few attempts on softening it up a little, he had the leather replaced by vinyl and got the seat a lot softer. Leather doesn't have the flexability, so the seat stays bit harder. I have a Corbin and really like it, but I was able to drive to Hollister and have it done with me and the wife there to fit it for us. Maybe you could call Corbin, they have an 800 number, and explain your situation. When we were there, a couple of riders were there to get their seats adjusted, all for no charge. Ride Safe!

sleepman
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I've always been told the Airhawk is the best way to go. You can adjust to your liking and the idea is that you're taking away the pressure points. With gel pads you're still sitting on the pressure points, it just may take longer to feel the effect.

Forest, they have the airhawk at JP Cycles in Daytona. They've got a setup where you can sit on a cycle seat and feel the airhawk. You may want to wait till we're over there at bikeweek.

effgjamis
02-14-2009, 01:54 AM
I've always been told the Airhawk is the best way to go. You can adjust to your liking and the idea is that you're taking away the pressure points. With gel pads you're still sitting on the pressure points, it just may take longer to feel the effect.

Forest, they have the airhawk at JP Cycles in Daytona. They've got a setup where you can sit on a cycle seat and feel the airhawk. You may want to wait till we're over there at bikeweek.

I guess I got in a big hurry.. I just ordered the airhawk and should have it tomorrow or Tuesday.. DUH me..
They said, R&L in GA stated if it didn't work they would take it back, less shipping of course.. However,
from all the above feedback about the Airhawk, I believe it will do the job.

Supposedly, while in Daytona, at Corbin , they said their Master seat person is supposed to be there and perhaps he can also soften the seat.

I wish to thank all who made suggestions and of their experiences with the different seatings.
thank you thank you..

mrb
02-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I too had heard great reports on Airhawk and my wife used to work with people with disabilities and was familiar with the Roho air cells used in wheelchairs.

I bought two and unfortunately , after much experimentation they just don't work for us. If anyone in Oz wants to give them a go you can try and buy at 50% off if you like them. (Email me martin@spyderryders.net.au)

I personally feel the problem with the Spyder seat is it is too rounded placing most of the pressure in the centre and not supporting your buttocks each side. Just my thoughts.:dontknow:

NancysToy
02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I too had heard great reports on Airhawk and my wife used to work with people with disabilities and was familiar with the Roho air cells used in wheelchairs.

I bought two and unfortunately , after much experimentation they just don't work for us. If anyone in Oz wants to give them a go you can try and buy at 50% off if you like them. (Email me martin@spyderryders.net.au)

I personally feel the problem with the Spyder seat is it is too rounded placing most of the pressure in the centre and not supporting your buttocks each side. Just my thoughts.:dontknow:
I was wondering about this, what with the very round and very wide Spyder seat shape (which is very comfortable for me as it is, I might add. Thanks for sharing your experience. Another question, does the air pad type cushion lend a feeling of instability in corners?
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

mrb
02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I was wondering about this, what with the very round and very wide Spyder seat shape (which is very comfortable for me as it is, I might add. Thanks for sharing your experience. Another question, does the air pad type cushion lend a feeling of instability in corners?

I guess you must have underdeveloped butt cheeks Scotty :joke: Though that does not make sense as my wife is very light with minimal butt (its OK she does not see this forum :pray:) and she was not comfortable either.

Actually when you lift your right butt cheek to swing your body into a left hand turn (hopefully you follow my drift) it seems to help lift it because you putt more weight on the left butt cheek and it transfers the air to the right side. In that way it was good but the trick is to have the minimum amount of air in it that you can so you don't sit on it but in it. Cornering was OK but I was aware that there was something "between" me and the bike - if you know what I mean.

I had a local seat guy rework mine for about 20% of the cost of a Corbin here in Oz
http://spyderryders.net.au/picts/seat1.jpg

If anyone else has done this , or even with Corbin etc. How do they handle the seat sensor? The BRP foam is very soft and it actuates the sensor easily. Not so easy with the denser foam.

effgjamis
02-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I have received the AirHawk cushion today, and tomorrow, Sunday, going for a poker run for the Local March of Dimes.

I will give a report on the seat upon my return.

I have the Corbin Seat..and it is a bit flatter than the stock, so hopefully the AirHawk will work for me..

sleepman
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
The stock Spyder seat is plenty comfortable for me. My V-strom is a different story after a couple hundred miles the rear end is screaming.

LDFIREWORKS
02-14-2009, 09:54 PM
HAY FOREST HOW ARE YOU I HAVE OUT OF TOWN, HAY THANKS FOR THE INFO ON CORBIN I SURE DO NEED WORK ON MY CORBIN ......

GeminiJane
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Scotty,

I've ridden my Triumph's and BMW's with stock seats, Corbins and one with a Sargent and have used an Airhawk with all (on same bike for comparison). The Airhawk worked fine on all although it took a bit of experimentation to get the "Goldilock" syndrome going (just the right amount of air). Some just sit the cushion on the seat, but I found I had to attach an elastic strap under the seat to keep it in the proper position - otherwise if it shifted forward or back the air re-distributed in the cushion and changed the effect. Plus, my problem is that even with my factory lowered BMWs and my after-market lowered Triumph Street Triple, I can only barely touch my tippy-toes (or on the Triumph, only one toe of one foot) so when I put the Airhawk on the seat I'm sitting just enough higher that it really makes it difficult for me to come up to stops. By using the strap under the seat, I would actually stand up on the pegs for a second and flip the cushion back behind me when I was entering areas where I would be doing a lot of stop and go riding and then re-position it when I left that area and got back out on open road. Factoring in this hassle, I truly believe my Alaska sheep skin did as well or better than the cushion. I tend to wait until my second or third day of riding 400 to 500 mile days when my rear end starts to feel a bit sore (broke my tailbone years ago and it still bothers me after several days of travel) and then decide to use some form of "cushion". I need to commit to starting off with the sheepskin and I think I'll do better in the long run. I had to re-inflate the Airhawk after a day of travel and then try to find jsut the perfect inflation level each day and just didn't like messing with it. I haven't done any long distance touring on the Spyder yet since I just got it in October and my touring season was over for the year; 300 mile days on it are all I've done locally and usually not back to back days, so I'll have to wait and see how my stock seat does in April/May when I take my first week or 10 day trip and then decide if I need anything different. I think I'll pack my sheepskin for that first trip, just in case, tho.

NancysToy
02-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Scotty,

I've ridden my Triumph's and BMW's with stock seats, Corbins and one with a Sargent and have used an Airhawk with all (on same bike for comparison). The Airhawk worked fine on all although it took a bit of experimentation to get the "Goldilock" syndrome going (just the right amount of air). Some just sit the cushion on the seat, but I found I had to attach an elastic strap under the seat to keep it in the proper position - otherwise if it shifted forward or back the air re-distributed in the cushion and changed the effect. Plus, my problem is that even with my factory lowered BMWs and my after-market lowered Triumph Street Triple, I can only barely touch my tippy-toes (or on the Triumph, only one toe of one foot) so when I put the Airhawk on the seat I'm sitting just enough higher that it really makes it difficult for me to come up to stops. By using the strap under the seat, I would actually stand up on the pegs for a second and flip the cushion back behind me when I was entering areas where I would be doing a lot of stop and go riding and then re-position it when I left that area and got back out on open road. Factoring in this hassle, I truly believe my Alaska sheep skin did as well or better than the cushion. I tend to wait until my second or third day of riding 400 to 500 mile days when my rear end starts to feel a bit sore (broke my tailbone years ago and it still bothers me after several days of travel) and then decide to use some form of "cushion". I need to commit to starting off with the sheepskin and I think I'll do better in the long run. I had to re-inflate the Airhawk after a day of travel and then try to find jsut the perfect inflation level each day and just didn't like messing with it. I haven't done any long distance touring on the Spyder yet since I just got it in October and my touring season was over for the year; 300 mile days on it are all I've done locally and usually not back to back days, so I'll have to wait and see how my stock seat does in April/May when I take my first week or 10 day trip and then decide if I need anything different. I think I'll pack my sheepskin for that first trip, just in case, tho.
I'm one of those fellas that would have to rent a butt to own one. As a result, I get real sore, real fast. The Spyder seat doubles my usual mileage before I start to squirm. The Alaska Leathers sheepskin does even better on the bikes. Haven't tried it on the Spyder yet. Having to get off to fuel every 120 miles or so makes that one a little easier. Still contemplating trying an Airhawk for my RT and my R75/5 (I'm tall enough to handle them even if they grow some). I'm still unsure of the movement aspects while cornering, however. I'm an old road racer and slide around on the seat a fair amount.

John in PA
02-16-2009, 07:15 AM
No one has mentioned the wood beaded seat covers, but they work well for many folks. And, a simple sheepskin pad is quite helpful. Get one that has the rubber grip material on the bottom. I think Aerostich (Rider Wearhouse) used to carry a couple sizes. Also Whitehorse Press.
Not to bring up a nasty mental picture, but the Anti-Monkey Butt powder helps keep things comfy if applied before a long ride, too.

AMTJIM
02-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Saw this the other day in a magazine, but I don't see the cycle stuff they were showing.
saddleman.com

Lamonster
02-16-2009, 08:11 AM
For the past 20 years or so I've been working on the padding on my seat. I am now working to remove some of that padding as most of it didn't make it to the seat area and stopped in my mid section instead. :yikes:

effgjamis
02-16-2009, 08:18 AM
For the past 20 years or so I've been working on the padding on my seat. I am now working to remove some of that padding as most of it didn't make it to the seat area and stopped in my mid section instead. :yikes:

I guess you have a crystal ball and can see the shape of things. :bowdown:

bjt
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
No one has mentioned the wood beaded seat covers, but they work well for many folks.

My wife and I both have the beaded seat pads and they worked well for us some of the time. I think why these weren't brought up is that the original poster stated that their Corbin seat was too hard and I don't think these make the seat feel any softer. I think the main advantage of the wooden beads is the added ventilation to reduce sweat and chafing.

Trickie Dick
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Looking for suggestions as to which AirHawk to order for the stock spyder seat. Front and rear if you know:dontknow::dontknow:
Thanks

jodeg1945
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Boy, now I'm really confused! I've been saving for a Corbin seat, but now thinking the Air Hawk might do a better job for me at way less cost.

We took a fairly long day trip yesterday (for us) over 200 miles. (Me on my Spyder, my husband on his Harley) I just got my Spyder last October, so the riding season was just about over. I realize that, this being the first long ride on the Spyder, I'm not really in riding condition yet, plus I'm almost 64 now. :yikes: HOWEVER, my butt (and back too) was killing me for 2/3 of the day! And let me add that I was using my trusty Alaska Leathers Butt Pad -- no help!

I'd hate to spend all that money on the Corbin seat (which I like the looks of) and still have an uncomfortable ride! Like I said, I'm more confused now, but it looks like the Air Hawk would be better for me and my old butt!

Smylinacha
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I can vouch for the Airhawk - I use one when I ride. It's nice because your butt doesn't stick to the seat in hot weather and it's adjustable to any butt sitting on it :)

NancysToy
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Boy, now I'm really confused! I've been saving for a Corbin seat, but now thinking the Air Hawk might do a better job for me at way less cost.

We took a fairly long day trip yesterday (for us) over 200 miles. (Me on my Spyder, my husband on his Harley) I just got my Spyder last October, so the riding season was just about over. I realize that, this being the first long ride on the Spyder, I'm not really in riding condition yet, plus I'm almost 64 now. :yikes: HOWEVER, my butt (and back too) was killing me for 2/3 of the day! And let me add that I was using my trusty Alaska Leathers Butt Pad -- no help!

I'd hate to spend all that money on the Corbin seat (which I like the looks of) and still have an uncomfortable ride! Like I said, I'm more confused now, but it looks like the Air Hawk would be better for me and my old butt!
I'm not sure an Air Hawk would help you much on a rounded seat like the Spyder's. I was thinking of one for my BMW, but sat on one for half an hour at the dealer and the rounded seat on the RT made it so I just hurt in a slightly different place. It would be real good if you could find a dealer that stocked them, and try one out. As to the back, I suspect it may be more due to posture. I suspect only handlebar risers will cure it.
-Scotty

jodeg1945
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Scotty. I already have the 4" NMN risers, which have helped tremendously. I also have a gel pad, which I use when we're riding two-up on our Goldwing trike. When I use it on my Spyder, it raises me up too much and then I'm leaning over on my spindly wrists again! I can't win!

Can you explain to me how the rounded seat of the Spyder affects whether the Air Hawk could make my butt more comfortable?

Thanks!

NancysToy
03-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Scotty. I already have the 4" NMN risers, which have helped tremendously. I also have a gel pad, which I use when we're riding two-up on our Goldwing trike. When I use it on my Spyder, it raises me up too much and then I'm leaning over on my spindly wrists again! I can't win!

Can you explain to me how the rounded seat of the Spyder affects whether the Air Hawk could make my butt more comfortable?

Thanks!
Sent PM.
-Scotty

GeminiJane
03-09-2009, 02:18 PM
When I use it on my Spyder, it raises me up too much and then I'm leaning over on my spindly wrists again! I can't win!

If the gel seat raises you up too much, the air hawk may, too. It made my Triumph too tall for me to tippy-toe when I used it.

b2k
03-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I have a good air ride seat to tell you about even lamonster don't know this one .me and the wife had been about 325 miles on our valk standerd and my wife was have a hard time riding .we met a woman in north ga. and the wife was asking her how she road so long without hurting :dontknow:
you guys have got to hear this one .she told my wife to go to the dollar general and get a beach ball :yikes:and put a little air in it and set on it till and adjust it with air till she felt ok with it .you know what it work she had no problem the rest of the way home .next day she had a air hawk :D

J-Dub70
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I also have to cast a vote for the Airhawk - I bought one in Daytona on Friday after a grueling 2 1/2 hour ride to get there. I know this isn't a long ride but I was miserable by the time we got there. It really worked wonders on the way back. The great thing about this product is that you can take it off and use it anywhere - on another motorcycle, in a stadium, a graduation, whatever. I bought the Cruiser Medium size, which fits the Spyder pretty well. It won't gain any styling points, but if you take it off and throw it in the trunk when not in use, nobody will see it anyway.

reinie
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
There's also the Butt Buffer. It's a pad with a gel material in it. You can get it with embroidered emblems etc. Mine has the POW/MIA emblem in red stitching on a black pad. You can also send them your stock seat and they can install the gel pad internally inside you seat. They are at buttbuffer.com

jeuchler
04-12-2009, 10:24 AM
...The great thing about this product is that you can take it off and use it anywhere - on another motorcycle, in a stadium, a graduation, whatever. I bought the Cruiser Medium size, which fits the Spyder pretty well.

+1 as to the comfort...not to mentions there's a bit of adjustability.

It won't gain any styling points, but if you take it off and throw it in the trunk when not in use, nobody will see it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ha!

Nobody sees it under your butt when you're ryding anyhow!

Was just gonna order a passenger one for the lovely bride.

I can vouch for the Airhawk

Thanks for the initial recommendation last year, Smylinacha. I never knew of them before. .

...the cushion can be purchased $60.00 cheaper at the following link.
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=AirHawk&subbcat=AirHawk_AirHawk_Motorcycle_Seat_Cushion&cart_id=1233249234.13954

And thanks for the link to the cheaper price, RoHo.

Smylinacha
04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
My butt thanks me for my airhawk! It's a happy butt ride for me! I've had that thing on my other bikes. I can't live without it with the crummy stock seat.

RoHo
04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
You're welcome Jeuchler. Hope it was of help. :thumbup:

:spyder2: El Spyder Roho :spyder2: