PDA

View Full Version : OK to disconnect battery briefly?

Big Mac
02-12-2016, 04:12 PM
If I disconnect the battery briefly while farkling, do I need to do anything special when I reconnect it?

Or is it best to keep the nanny happy by maintaining the power feed using a battery conditioner into the rear accessory socket (set to always on mode with F6)?

billybovine
02-12-2016, 04:33 PM
My battery is disconnected all winter. Not a problem. Reset the clock and ready to go.

Big Mac
02-12-2016, 04:42 PM
That's comforting to know - many thanks.

Bob Denman
02-12-2016, 06:51 PM
I think that it'll also re-set your radio's settings to their default positions...
(Fader, Treble, Bass, and Automatic Volume Control...)

But other than that; you should be good to go! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-12-2016, 07:12 PM
I think that it'll also re-set your radio's settings to their default positions...

Station presets stay though.

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2016, 07:20 PM
You may have to change the following

Turn signal blinker fluid
Windshield wiper fluid
Wiper blades
May have to relight pilot light for any added LED lights
rotate the tires from front to rear (very careful on this)
put new freon in the air conditioning system and change out the filters (suggest 18X37 size)

Other than that ............................... should be good to go.

Anonymous

Big Mac
02-12-2016, 07:51 PM
I was worried because I had read about needing to reset the nanny by something like: running the bike stationary for 15 mins, turning round 3 times........

Trbayth
02-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Oh look, Joe's tormenting the newbies again! :joke:

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2016, 08:24 PM
I was worried because I had read about needing to reset the nanny by something like: running the bike stationary for 15 mins, turning round 3 times........

That's better than my synopsis, now i am jealous.

Anonymous

Cruzr Joe
02-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Oh look, Joe's tormenting the newbies again! :joke:

It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Anonymous

eddieshep999
02-13-2016, 07:09 AM
If I disconnect the battery briefly while farkling, do I need to do anything special when I reconnect it?

Or is it best to keep the nanny happy by maintaining the power feed using a battery conditioner into the rear accessory socket (set to always on mode with F6)?

I suspect you know this, but make sure you connect the positive + first then the negative -
I believe the reason for this is should you accidentally make contact with the frame when connecting the positive you could short out the battery if the negative has been connected 1st When connecting the negative if you make contact with the frame when connecting it this will not cause any problems

Big Mac
02-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks Eddie - that does indeed seem to be the conventional wisdom (and, similarly, remove the negative first). Mind you, I must admit that both are counter-intuitive to me as an electronic engineer!

billybovine
02-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Sorry Bob that's a myth. All the presets are remembered and just have to reset the clock.

Bob Denman
02-13-2016, 02:12 PM
:shocked: I know that the presets get killed off, if you abort the start process***; I assumed that a power disconnect would do the same thing... :opps:

Thanks for clarifying this! :2thumbs:

*** After it happened accidently; I did an intentional test of this. It does take out your preference presets.

Cruzr Joe
02-13-2016, 02:33 PM
:shocked: I know that the presets get killed off, if you abort the start process***; I assumed that a power disconnect would do the same thing... :opps:

*** After it happened accidently; I did an intentional test of this. It does take out your preference presets.

Some people don't have any preferences, and that is why it should not be discussed in public.

Anonymous

Bob Denman
02-13-2016, 02:40 PM
"Anonymous",
Are you saying that you are prone to making "indiscriminate choices"? :shocked:

And are you SURE that your name isn't
"Anon Ymous"
or
"Anony Mous"? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
02-13-2016, 03:23 PM
"Anonymous",
Are you saying that you are prone to making "indiscriminate choices"? :shocked:

And are you SURE that your name isn't
"Anon Ymous"
or
"Anony Mous"? :dontknow:

I AIN'T SAYIN NUTTIN.

Bob Denman
02-13-2016, 03:27 PM
:D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124169&stc=1

billybovine
02-13-2016, 03:45 PM

If you where to turn the key off and then disconnected the battery in less than 20 seconds later. I would guess it could reset all your settings to default. :dontknow: You would need speedy superpowers for that.

Bob Denman
02-13-2016, 06:18 PM
That's WAY beyond my pay grade... :D