PDA

View Full Version : Help with new RT

Garyeye1
02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
I would like some feedback please. I just bought a new RT yesterday. I've ridden two wheeled bikes for many years. I drove the RT back from the dealer and it really scared me. I'm considering selling it and I feel pretty bad about it because they are so expensive. How safe are these bikes as far as tipping over? I felt like I had to hold on to the bars really tight because the bike would easily go to one side or another. Around a corner, I feel like it is going to tip over. I know this probably all sounds ridiculous but I need to hear from those of you that perhaps can relate. Is this just a matter of getting used to it or? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! Gary

Don in E Texas
02-10-2016, 02:08 PM
First comment I'll make is to welcome you aboard the best Spyder site in town!

Next - please read the following information as it is VERY important in understanding your new vehicle:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Last - it takes ALL new riders 600 miles plus to get the feel of their bike. Sit up straight -- keep a loose grip on the handle bars and RELAX. If you feel your shoulders creeping up around your ears, you are too tense and need to settle down.

Others will have information for you I'm sure === stay tuned.

Don

Bob Denman
02-10-2016, 02:10 PM
:welcome:
Just everybody says the same thing after their first white-knuckled ride...
First: relax!! I know that it sounds a bit tough, but BRP does know how to build a vehicle that'll go straight down the road. Loosen your grip, bring your knees in against the "tank", and enjoy the ride a bit.
(My first two miles: I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake!)
Do you have any ATV or snowmobile experience? They feel about the most like a Spyder does... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-10-2016, 02:10 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :ani29:.

There is a learning curve and yes, you fell into the first trap.

Do not over control the handlebars. Pretend there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break the eggs. Less input is better. Over control makes the :spyder2: feel like it has a mind of its own.

Will it tip over? Not under normal use. There are built in electronics to help prevent it.

Recommend reading the thread "Do's and Don'ts for new Owners." This will answer many of your questions. Then, come back and ask away.

TEWKS
02-10-2016, 02:12 PM
No demo ride before the purchase? I rode one and let the experience sink in a bit, then rode it again. Different from a 2 wheeled motorcycle as different can be. Background with riding quads or snowmobiles helps quite a bit.

Loosen up on the bars and plant the outer foot in turns, you should adapt in a short amount of time! :thumbup:

Pat

Questions
02-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Gary,

I can relate for sure. My drive back from my purchase was 2 hours. Between passing trucks at 65 MPH and the corners I was a bit of mess. I have had my RT limited for 6 months now and have put almost 5500 miles on it and here is what I have learned. The softer that you grip the handle bars the better. You really need a light grip to kind of get in the flow with the bike. I have also recently installed a Baja Ron sway bar ($188) and it has made a HUGE difference with the stability of the bike in corners and with side winds. We ride with a large group of Spyders and sometimes get aggressive and I can tell you that you would really have to be driving like a knucklehead to tip one of these over. The more that you drive it the more you will feel comfortable.

I cannot tell you how much I love riding my Spyder now and feel comfortable in all conditions.

Good luck

Scott

kngfsh27
02-10-2016, 02:46 PM
:congrats: and:welcome:. What you have been told is 100% correct. I bought mine without a test ride. To make it more of a challenge that first ride came after dark with the evening rush with the temperature right at freezing. The first fifty miles of my first real ride I was sure that I had made a huge mistake and was ready to go get my Harley back. When I stopped at just over 100 miles, I was getting comfortable. When I pulled back in the drive way at 300 miles I didn't want to get off of it. You will find that with some more seat time, you will become more and more comfortable. Just give it some time and don't be in a hurry.
Forgot to add, They are contagious.

Darren111
02-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Hi Garyeye1,
Newbie myself and just wanted to say hello from the UK and that you are in a great place on SL.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-10-2016, 03:16 PM
How safe are these bikes as far as tipping over?
Your experience and questions are not at all surprising. Others have expressed exactly the same doubts, but are happy riders now!

I tell people I won't say it's impossible to turn a Spyder over, but it is very difficult. The Nanny will kick in really quick and throttle her back and set the brake if she needs to. I think this video may show the first Spyder roll over in everyday riding that has been noted on this forum, other than a few where riders went off a curve. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?90121-Spyder-crash-caught-on-camera!!!! In this case the car hit the Spyder so it certainly is not representative of usual driving activities.

I'm going to guess you are not familiar with riding ATVs or snowmobiles since the Spyder would have reminded you of that riding experience. Yes, it is quite different than two wheel riding. As long as you realize that, and relax, you'll soon get the handle of it and find it to be a truly fun riding experience. As for me, I feel a whole safer on my Spyder at 80 mph than I ever did on my 1800GL Goldwing at 70 mph.

Be sure to get the front wheels laser aligned as soon as you can. If the dealer you bought it from doesn't do it find one from this page. http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm. If your wheels aren't properly aligned some of your steering feeling can be attributed to that.

Bfromla
02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Welcome & its ok first time & new ride tend to exaggerate the fear factor. But what you have is a SAFE ride its more up to you now. You will regret it if you sell now, please get 500-1000 miles under your belt you will see & enjoy it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerryB
02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Hi Gary,

Re: I would like some feedback please.

I'm just across the river in Beaverton. Want me to come over sometime and take you and it out for a ride?

IMO they are very easy to get used to riding. Just a trick or two to stay out of trouble.

My personal email is: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Jerry Baumchen

KJWEB
02-10-2016, 04:17 PM
I would like some feedback please. I just bought a new RT yesterday. I've ridden two wheeled bikes for many years. I drove the RT back from the dealer and it really scared me. I'm considering selling it and I feel pretty bad about it because they are so expensive. How safe are these bikes as far as tipping over? I felt like I had to hold on to the bars really tight because the bike would easily go to one side or another. Around a corner, I feel like it is going to tip over. I know this probably all sounds ridiculous but I need to hear from those of you that perhaps can relate. Is this just a matter of getting used to it or? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! Gary

Did you take the Trike/Sidecar class yet? It is required in the state of WA. A motorcycle license doesn't cover trikes. Reason why I mention this is the class will teach you what to expect and how to handle a trike. Plus, you will be in the safe confines of a practice course to get acquainted to your new way of riding.

Cruzr Joe
02-10-2016, 04:25 PM
As others have said, relax and give it some time (200-300 miles) and you will get very comfortable, the more you can relax your grip .................. the better the ride ......... AND

Welcome to the ZOO,

Cruzr Joe

Gunner3773
02-10-2016, 04:33 PM
+1 on the laser alignment. It made a huge difference in the handling for me. I spent 41 years riding two wheels. I don't think I would ever go back to two wheels for touring. Be patient, relax, get the alignment, and enjoy!

Gunner

HayRog
02-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Gary,
New owner myself, coming from years on two wheels, so I know of what you speak.

You bought a great bike and joined a great forum and the advice already given is spot on.

Don't give up on the Spyder and you'll get the hang of it real soon.

Welcome aboard :-)

pegasus1300
02-10-2016, 05:30 PM
:welcome::congrats: We are so glad you found us before you decided to sell. Do what has been suggested as to Trike class.Yes your Spyder is a different beast then other trikes but the things they teach you will still apply and help you acquire 3 wheel thinking.For Spyder specific info you have already been directed to "Do's and Don'ts. Best post on the board for new owner/riders. Give yourself time and patience and lots of seat time. Yes it does feel like and ATV or a snowmobile but it has its own funside too.

I rode 2 wheelers for 50 years and a conventional trike for 4 brfore coming to Spyder. I love it,it is the most fun I've had since I left 2 wheels. With a little time I think you'll feel that way too.

jerpinoy
02-10-2016, 05:59 PM
:welcome: and please read all the advice from our :spyder2:families. I want to see and meet you at the oyster run in Anacortes this year, see ya.

Deanna777
02-10-2016, 07:08 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: glad that you could join us here @ :spyder2: land. We are here to help. Deanna

justcalldon
02-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Please don't give up on your new toy, after about 1000 miles you will never think of going back on two wheels again. My wife would never ride with me on my bike but the first day I got my RT she jumped on the backseat and we went for a ride. I think she likes more than me sometimes.(just kidding)
Give it some time and relax.

Justcalldon

Bdomini
02-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Ditto to all previous responses. It will all become second nature before you know it. I bought my 2015 RT in Oct. and I love my Spyder. Quiet, stable, with more than enough power. Do not give up and by all means drive safely and remain aware aware at all times.

Mazo EMS2
02-10-2016, 08:42 PM
We got our Spyder without a test ryde too. But I had some atv and snowmobile experience so I was able to anticipate what the ride might feel like. I read a lot of posts here on S/L before buying it too. I would also suggest reading the Do's and Donts thread. A lot of it is just common sense, but once you actually apply it, it'll make even more sense. Don't sell! You didn't make a mistake! Just take it out on some easy rides and let it come to you. Give a few hundred miles before you go crazy with any modifications or add-ons (farkles as they're referred to here) RELAX and don't try to constantly steer the Spyder. It'll start to feel like it's riding straighter with every ride. The more you stee rit, the more it'll fight back. You WILL have to steer it in the corners, and that's the hardest adaptation is that leaning will not steer the Spyder in corners, YOU have to TURN the bars to go around a corner......let it come to ya, and enjoy it. Congrats!

fratzba
02-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Hi Gary!

I'm just across the river from you too, and as Jerry mentioned would definitely be able to head your way and share what I've learned.

I'm fairly new to my 2015 RT-S, having bought it in May 2014. I made the switch from 2 -> 3 wheels, and love it. It's different than riding a 2-wheeler, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easier (at least for me.)

Send me a PM if you want to get together.

-Fratz

P.S. There is a fairly active Spyder club for SW WA/NW Or, that meets monthly at Pro-Caliber in Vancouver.

4 MARIE
02-10-2016, 11:15 PM
Since we all are weighing in, I better too !

Your Spyder has a very responsive power steering, and much more grip than any 2 wheeler I can think
of. Those 1st rides are certainly "something". Relax your grip, it can feel every nerve impulse you have,
and act on it.

Do some kind of weight transfer in turns. I hear about "planting" your outside foot. Sounds reasonable.
Personally, I do a little "head and shoulders" weight transfer, where I kind of lean a little to the inside.

Do some parking lot time, experiment. Especially with your brakes. The first time to try a panic stop on one of
these, is definitely NOT in a real panic.

You TOO will LOVE DAT SPYDA ! stay safe

5ft2lilred
02-10-2016, 11:18 PM

After not riding for 40 years, bought a 2012 Sportster. Scared to death but ended up riding over 30K the first year. I still hold the grips too tight but I can assure you, it will NOT tip and I have done over 80K on 3 Spyders now. Done cross country twice. Love my spyder and would never ride 2 again.

Professor
02-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Right after I bought my 2014 RT, I thought I'd made a terrible mistake. I'd ridden two-wheelers for 50+ years, but this thing really scared me. It felt very unstable and hard to control. On one 20 mile trip on an uneven road, I actually had to stop after about 10 miles to rest and work up enough nerve to go the rest of the way home. I have a neurological condition that exaggerated the "problem". I was so bad that I had to slow to 25mph to take 35mph curves without feeling like I was going to tip over. After a few hundred miles, I discovered the Spyder was fine. The problem was me. The advice to relax is hard to follow at first, but it's the key to success. And you just have to give yourself time for your neurology to adjust to the new sensations. A motorcycle doesn't tip from side to side on an uneven road, so it scares us at a subconscious (and conscious) level when the Spyder does it. But now with a bit over 5,000 miles on it, I absolutely love the Spyder. The great people on this forum will help you through the early challenges.

latony007
02-12-2016, 01:36 AM
agree with everyone else, i came from 2 wheels and actually still have my sport bike. You just have to get used to that slight side to side motion on the spyder but honestly i think it handles better in curves than any cruiser i have ridden. I have never seen or heard of anyone that tipped it under normal circumstances its really stable. Compare that to how many people have you heard of low siding or high siding their two wheeler! Its so much safer than whatever bike you cam from. Wont compare to my sport bike though but thats why i still have both and once you get used to the spyder you can switch back and forth with ease. Here is the other good thing they hold their value really well so if you still dont like it after a couple thousand miles (highly doubtfull) you can still get out of it with minimal loss.

PrairieSpyder
02-12-2016, 09:35 AM
:welcome:

I think everyone got you covered as to advice:

Read the do's & don'ts thread
Check the alignment
RELAX

TXrider
02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
What everybody else said! After awhile this :yikes: will become :shocked: then :clap:and finally :2thumbs: woo-hoo what a RYDE!!
Welcome and enjoy your Spyder!;)

latony007
02-12-2016, 01:43 PM
No reply from him, hope he didnt sell it already :(

Explorer
02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Garyeye1, I took a demo ride at bike week a few years ago. The Spyder wandered, and I was afraid to buy. Then I read on this forum about a new thing called laser alignment. I made laser alignment a condition in the purchase. Please believe me, it makes a huge diferance. I now have 31,000 miles and love my Spyder. Do not sell, get a laser alignment NOW. Not a regular BRP alignment. You will love the ride. Please keep us posted. We love to hear what finally happens.
Good luck,
Roger

rutger
02-12-2016, 02:18 PM
First thing to remember is you don't ride it on the road where you ride on two wheels. Relax your grip on the handle bars like others have said and then allow the front tires to track the areas where the car tires ride.

The bike doesn't lean, you do. So on turns stay relaxed and as you gain confidence press your right thigh against the gas tank on right turns and left thigh on left turns. Once you start doing that you'll really begin to enjoy the ride as you become more aggressive.

Road 2 wheels for over 50 years and wife on 2 wheels for over 20. Now we both ride RT's.

But like someone said it took 2 demo rides to learn how. Second one was a full 100 mile ride. Bought it back and bought it.

Now love them! Although thinking hard about that F3.