PDA

View Full Version : Wide Temperature Variation

BLBryant
02-10-2016, 02:32 AM
I am a proud new owner of a 2010 RTS. With spring like conditions this week in California, it is a treat to ride! While riding on my maiden voyage, I couldn't help but notice the temperature gauge vary widely. Most of the time it was at the bottom of the scale (Cold), however during stoplight traffic, it finally reached what I would consider the "normal" or middle of the scale. Over the entire trip it was constantly up and down the scale. This leads me to pose the question; should the temperature gauge vary so widely or should I investigate if the prior owner removed the thermostat?

Grandpot
02-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Mine does the same thing. I haven't had any ill effects, so I think it's just another one of those unique characteristics.

Bob Denman
02-10-2016, 08:14 AM
That's what they do... :thumbup:
When you stop in traffic; you don't have as much (or any...) airflow through the radiator.
Once you get rolling; things always cool back down! :thumbup:
:congrats: on your bike... :nopic:

Chupaca
02-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Them degree of variances will depend on the weather (temperature ) in hotter weather it will not be that noticeable but the cooler weather you will see a big difference. :thumbup:

jcasey
02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
My F3 stays the same once it is warmed up.

Bob Denman
02-10-2016, 12:21 PM
My F3 stays the same once it is warmed up.
Two radiators... :2thumbs:
The 998s only have one. :shocked:

finless
02-10-2016, 12:28 PM
I unhooked the analog gauges as I did not trust them for accuracy.
The digital gauges which appear once you unhook the analog's are way more accurate.

My 2011 RTS is warmed up and idles at 5 bars on the digital temp gauge.
Even in the summer when it's about 90, while cruising in 5th down the freeway my temp will drop one bar and show 4 bars.

On really cold mornings (like say mid 40's), it will drop 3 bars and only show two on the digital temp gauge. This is pretty rare though. This AM it was 58F and while on the freeway I was showing 3 bars. But again when you stop or even slow way down for traffic, it will climb right up to 5 bars.

My understanding is the digital temp gauge will turn orange if you hit 6 bars or more. I myself have never seen that on my Spyder even when it is almost 100F outside.

Bob

ARtraveler
02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
For me:

Normal summer operation is about 4 bars. Idling or waiting in traffic, it will creep up.

Very cold blooded on start up. Takes almost 10 miles before its up to "normal."

Winter operation--below 35 degrees--usually hangs around 1 to 2 bars.

YOURS MAY VARY SLIGHTLY.

Bob Denman
02-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Is that for the 1330, the 998, or both? :D

ARtraveler
02-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Is that for the 1330, the 998, or both? :D

The 1330 runs a bit cooler but not that much different. Our high temps are in the upper 70's and we do not experience 100 degree days where I am at. I would be considered an "outlier" if one were to compile statistical data about the subject.

Bob Denman
02-10-2016, 05:57 PM
I wondered if you could comment on how long it takes for the gauges to start climbing; in stop and go traffic... :dontknow:
I used to notice my 998 climbing as soon as I was stopped for more than about fifteen seconds...
The 1330 seems to not notice the traffic, until about a minute has passed... :thumbup:

BLBryant
02-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I wondered if you could comment on how long it takes for the gauges to start climbing; in stop and go traffic... :dontknow:
I used to notice my 998 climbing as soon as I was stopped for more than about fifteen seconds...
The 1330 seems to not notice the traffic, until about a minute has passed... :thumbup:

As with your 998, it starts climbing immediately. It looks like this is "normal" according to the replies from other owners. I must write it off as "newbie jitters". I guess I was expecting the engine to warm up to operating temp, and then somewhat stay there. My mistake as usual! :banghead:

Thank you all for your helpful input!

This forum is a great resource of information and people!!

DrewNJ
02-10-2016, 10:18 PM
3-5 bars is normal. Once in awhile I'll see 2 if its REALLY cold and I'm cruising...not often though. If your dropping below 2 you have a failing thermostat. I went through that last winter where I could drop it down to 0 bars cruising!
I've never seen more than 5 bars with the fan cycling on/off no matter what temp or speed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk