PDA

View Full Version : 12v outlet in frunk has no power

garageguy
02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Took delivery of a new blue 2015 ST-LTD last week. Tried to hook a battery tender with a cigarette lighter connection to the 12v outlet in the frunk and no power. Changed the 5A fuse, tried both F6 (switched) and F7 (unswitched) for the fuse and nothing. Any ideas how to get to the wiring to the outlet or the back of the right hand fuse panel so I can troubleshoot?

Many Thanks

Brentc
02-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Took delivery of a new blue 2015 ST-LTD last week. Tried to hook a battery tender with a cigarette lighter connection to the 12v outlet in the frunk and no power. Changed the 5A fuse, tried both F6 (switched) and F7 (unswitched) for the fuse and nothing. Any ideas how to get to the wiring to the outlet or the back of the right hand fuse panel so I can troubleshoot?

Many Thanks

My understanding is that the fuse switching you talked about is for the 12 volt in the rear trunk. I do not know if you can charge through the frunk outlet in front? What many do, myself included, add a pigtail to the battery, which is located just left of that frunk,outlet behind the liner, and then plug your tender to that when needed.

congrats on the new ride too!

Cruzr Joe
02-07-2016, 04:22 PM
My understanding is that the fuse switching you talked about is for the 12 volt in the rear trunk. I do not know if you can charge through the frunk outlet in front? What many do, myself included, add a pigtail to the battery, which is located just left of that frunk,outlet behind the liner, and then plug your tender to that when needed.

congrats on the new ride too!

He has an ST, (no rear trunk)

Brentc
02-07-2016, 04:30 PM
:shocked:
Dooh

Cruzr Joe
02-07-2016, 04:33 PM
:shocked:
Dooh

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

billybovine
02-07-2016, 05:09 PM
It may not be hooked up. Dealer does that during assembly. On my 13 the dealer hooked up backwards. Burnt out a couple USB chargers before I caught on.
The trunk has to come off if that's the problem.

And for you RT people. The outlet in the front and the back are on the same fuse. So changing the fuse location changes both.

Bfromla
02-07-2016, 06:34 PM

With that said fyi I added my pigtail to the post in frunk lays down out of way of latch & seal just fine fyi the post are 10mm
123885 as far as no power have you tried anything plugged into it? Charger, light, something simple.. It should have power without switch (ignition, mine does anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Y Factor
02-07-2016, 09:50 PM
I have 2014 STL. Take fuse 6 out and put it in 7, right fuse box which is the one on the left when facing the spyder. I would try another device (iPod or phone) besides the battery tender to see if you have power.

loisk
02-08-2016, 01:43 AM
My 12v in the frunk 13ST was never connected pre delivery. Frunk had to come off to connect it all up. All good now.

garageguy
02-08-2016, 04:13 PM
With that said fyi I added my pigtail to the post in frunk lays down out of way of latch & seal just fine fyi the post are 10mm
123885 as far as no power have you tried anything plugged into it? Charger, light, something simple.. It should have power without switch (ignition, mine does anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, have tried a 12V air compressor with a cigarette adapter. Works fine on my RT. dead as a doornail on the ST. The workaround is to attach the BTender harness directly to the battery, but I would like to have a working 12V outlet.

Removing the entire frunk assembly sounds like a PITA but haven't tried.

loisk
02-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Don't forget the jumper posts under the black trim which pops off when trunk lid open. We hooked tender cables to these posts, ran cable up to under the centre y piece and fitted 12v outlet next to brake button. Works we'll for tender and I also use it for heated vest. Centre y piece is easy to remove. Had to buy a small 12v outlet as not much depth clearance, still a standard item from auto store.

Bfromla
02-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Yes, have tried a 12V air compressor with a cigarette adapter. Works fine on my RT. dead as a doornail on the ST. The workaround is to attach the BTender harness directly to the battery, but I would like to have a working 12V outlet.

Removing the entire frunk assembly sounds like a PITA but haven't tried.

:thumbup: & only having the bike a week the dealer should be helping you more. Sound like they missed a connection. Check the fuses like others have stated. I've always preferred the pigtail myself. Best of luck to ya:clap:

Cruzr Joe
02-08-2016, 07:21 PM
It may not be hooked up. Dealer does that during assembly. On my 13 the dealer hooked up backwards. Burnt out a couple USB chargers before I caught on.
The trunk has to come off if that's the problem.

And for you RT people. The outlet in the front and the back are on the same fuse. So changing the fuse location changes both.

Well i'll be damned ............. I got a 2015 RTL and there is not one in the front trunk at all, does this mean it still uses the same fuse??? :roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Bfromla
02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Well i'll be damned ............. I got a 2015 RTL and there is not one in the front trunk at all, does this mean it still uses the same fuse??? :roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe
Are you sure Joe? You got yours from lamonster at spyderfest didnt ya? (Fyi I was there getting air in background, watching everyone drool over your bike)

robtdonna
02-09-2016, 12:41 AM
:agree: Like Joe, no outlet in frunk, just one in trunk. 2014 RT

billybovine
02-09-2016, 09:58 AM

Cruzr Joe

Yes it does. The wires are there behind the front trunk and connected to the fuse box. You just don't have the optional socket installed.

billybovine
02-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Don't forget the jumper posts under the black trim which pops off when trunk lid open. We hooked tender cables to these posts, ran cable up to under the centre y piece and fitted 12v outlet next to brake button. Works we'll for tender and I also use it for heated vest. Centre y piece is easy to remove. Had to buy a small 12v outlet as not much depth clearance, still a standard item from auto store.

The OP has a 2015, so no jumper posts to hook up to like on a 2013.

kbwitt
02-09-2016, 10:09 AM
You paid how much for your new bike and your fixing it yourself. I think your dealer will be happy to solve problems for you.
Kenn

billybovine
02-09-2016, 10:09 AM
:agree: Like Joe, no outlet in frunk, just one in trunk. 2014 RT

Your dealer will be happy to sell you one.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123949&stc=1

Cruzr Joe
02-09-2016, 10:59 AM
i don't need one in the front trunk, the one in the rear is fine.

Cruzr Joe

garageguy
02-09-2016, 10:11 PM
You paid how much for your new bike and your fixing it yourself. I think your dealer will be happy to solve problems for you.
Kenn
Dealer is too far for this nit. Was hoping for advice on a DIY fix

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

ceyer69
03-27-2016, 01:39 PM
I just noticed that my 2015 RT S has a light in the front trunk but I don't see it coming on? I assume the lid triggers it?

JayBros
03-27-2016, 02:16 PM
On my '14 RTS the frunk light is on the ignition key switched circuit.

AY4B
03-27-2016, 06:09 PM
The 12 v power outlet is swiched. You have to have the key turned on for it to work. This rules out using it foe a battery tender. I don't think battery tenders came with cig lighter plugs anyway. Use the pigtail off the battery.

Myersd802003
03-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Try it with the ignition switch on. If that doesn't work, then try running your engine to see if it works. The dealership has many ways of connecting it. I have two on my F3S. One that works when the engine is running and one directly connected to the battery that I will use the cigarette adapter for the battery tender. Your other option is to start taking the spyder apart to figure out if and how they hooked it up.

AY4B
03-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Also You can also just add a CL plug anywhere you want. I believe Lamonster sells them. You can hook it straight to the battery.

dragonridernj
03-31-2016, 10:05 AM
You seem to be the expert on this topic so................... I just got a 2015 RTS -SE6 and want to mount the GPS under the dash projection. SOme folks suggested pulling out the fuel or temp gage and I can mount the gps bracket there and get power from the gage feed, which I like except for its under warranty and I have heard enough stories with these bikes that I don't want to give the dealer a reason to say I voided the warranty if I mess with that wiring

TO keep it simple I was going to tie into the battery tender pigtail that came with the bike in the frunk and just unplug the modular connector when not in use . I was going to run the feed for the GPS from the frunk to the dash via the spare switch port under the center of the handle bar by just pulling the black plastic cover

NOW after doing all this digging on this site with so many nice helpful people . I think I would like to .....................
See if I can find the switched power feed for the frunk which sounds like its just to the rear of the trunk and needs to be pulled into the frunk and connected to a powerlet (frunk removal required??) Swap 6 and 7 fuse location? When I pull from old fuse location , will powerlet in the rear trunk go dead?
At that point I can run the cable for the GPS power up into the dash via the hole below handlebar after I remove the black plastic plug. I will try to silicone the mount for the Nuvi on the underside of the dash projection and see how it holds and hopefully not have to screw into it

Any thoughts / comments

billybovine
03-31-2016, 12:50 PM
BRP can't void your warranty. If what you add breaks your Spyder. That is your responsibility, not BRP's. If your Spyder breaks due to materials or workmanship from BRP during the warranty period. It is their responsibility. Only fair right?

The battery pigtail must have been installed by your dealer. Does not come from the factory that way. Good of the dealer to do that. Just too bad it ends in the the front trunk. Now there another hole for water to get in. It can be rerouted to the top. It will still be under the hood but outside the trunk.

Yes you can use the tender pigtail to power stuff but just seems inconvenient to me. If you think it will work for you fine.

The rear and front power socket are on the same circuit. Changing the fuse location will change both. Location 7 both sockets are always on. In location 6 both sockets are switched.

From what others have posted. You can get to the front socket pigtail by taking out the battery. Then reaching up and to the Spyders right. Your left. It has 2 female spade connectors. So you can start your wiring with 2 male spade connectors.

Then run the wires to a 12V socket to plug the Garmin adapter in. That will get the 5V volts you need. Or to a USB power port. Or an inline power adapter.

garageguy
05-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Just to close the loop on this I fixed the problem by removing the front and side panels loosening all frunk attachment points enough to lift it up and tilt forward to reach back and connect the 2 wires that the dealer forgot about thanks to all of you who steered me in the right direction

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Motogordo
04-05-2021, 10:13 PM
I haven't used the 12 volt outlet in the front trunk yet, but today I bought the Battery Tender Junior from Barb's Harley Davidson. Deltran makes the same Junior for Harley. It was $39.95. I attached the pigtails with the round spade lug to the battery and brought it out of the cloth opening in front. Works great.