PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions for you

Don K
02-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Good morning everyone!
I have a 2015 RTS with semi automatic...
First question: If you should need to manually downshift-Do you back off on the throttle?
Question #2 -What cleaners do you use on the Spyder body and the windshield.
Some of the products that the shops recommend just seem to be ridiculously expensive to me.????
Thanks for your help.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Don

vided
02-07-2016, 06:28 AM
hi
no you don't back off when downshifting the SE6.

Brentc
02-07-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm fairly recent to the spyder scene also, and initially found I wanted to downshift. Out of habit I would roll off the throttle a bit for a smoother shift, but then found myself just letting the spyder do the down shifting for me. I typically only shift if it's a sudden slowdown. As for cleaners, your right there are tons of them out there and I recently found one from Maguires called white wax, I have a pearl white rts, and I am pretty happy with it. I believe it was $10 for a tube of it and I think it will get me a seasons worth of waxing. As for the windshield, and all other plastic shield pieces, I use plexo spray cleaner after thoroughly finish g all the bugs off so not to scratch. Just make sure you do not use an ammonia based glass cleaner on the plastic lens pieces it will cause them to haze.:D

Sccar
02-07-2016, 07:10 AM
I use Honda polish. ....about $5.50 a can.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123854&stc=1

opiewhan
02-07-2016, 07:34 AM
Good morning everyone!
First question: If you should need to manually downshift-Do you back off on the throttle?
Some of the products that the shops recommend just seem to be ridiculously expensive to me.????
Thanks for your help.
Don

Mgueires makes "PlastX" which I use on windsheild and all lights with plastic cover, shines ,cleans and polishes..Just my choice..

Bob Denman
02-07-2016, 08:27 AM
The computer will handle the throttle for you during any shifting activity... :thumbup:
Cleaning? :dontknow:
In the past; I've used Meguiars quick detailer, but I just got some of the cleaner that Lamont sell... I haven't cracked it open yet, but will be giving the bike a thorough cleaning once the Season gets a serious start to it/
(Thanks, Joe!)

jaherbst
02-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Good old Pledge works wonders on Windshield and Body. Can be found everywhere and not expensive. I have used this to clean cars, motorcycles, airplanes, trucks and boats. Terrific on plexiglass windshields. (be sure to use a clean cloth) Will also work well on your glasses and face shields on your helmut.

Jack

MikeT
02-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Good old Pledge works wonders on Windshield and Body. Can be found everywhere and not expensive.Jack
+1:agree::ohyea:

Smutt
02-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Been using Pledge for years on our Goldwing and will be using it on our new Rt Limited.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Good old Pledge works wonders on Windshield and Body. Can be found everywhere and not expensive. I have used this to clean cars, motorcycles, airplanes, trucks and boats. Terrific on plexiglass windshields. (be sure to use a clean cloth) Will also work well on your glasses and face shields on your helmut.

Jack
.....:agree:..............But definitely NOT on the Windshield........It will build up and you will have to remove it with something much stronger............Also NEVER use paper I don't care what F-4 says....Here's a scenario, you have an F-4, you are washing and using PAPER.....your better-half is washing Hers SHE doesn't have an F-4, but She copies you and uses PAPER.................AND SCRATCHES UP HER WINDSHIELD........if you think I'm being ridiculous, I'm OK with that......jmho.....Mike :thumbup:

threefingers2
02-07-2016, 11:17 AM
What does a person use to get dryed bugs off?

Deanna777
02-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Shifting............... let the spyder downshift for you, unless you have to shift down for something unexpected.

Cleaning spyder................ I use Blue Coral wash/wax concentrate: Cleans & Shines in one step Fortified with Carnauba Wax, Blue Coral Wash/Wax is fortified with 100% natural Carnauba Wax to help protect from sun, rain, wind, ice and salt spray- the elements that can attack a car's finish. It has a high foaming, concentrated car wash and wax, optimized for automotive finishes. This unique formula washes away dirt, grim-leaving a sparkling, clean shine every time you wash. It does not leave a film of wax. Use a chamois cloth to dry off your :spyder2:, so It does leave water spots.

I have been using the above on car, :spyder2: for a long time. It removes bug/flies splats. Do not use paper on the windshield it will scratch it( like Mike Blueknight911 says), use a soft cloth to wash your windshield.
Deanna

Deanna777
02-07-2016, 11:29 AM
What does a person use to get dryed bugs off?Hot water & car wash soap. Deanna

cognaccruiser
02-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Re: Downshifting

The Spyder does a good job of downshifting when you apply the brake coming to a normal stop.

If you want to downshift 1 or 2 gears to accelerate faster to pass someone, don't back off on the throttle.

But if you want to use the gears to slow yourself while not using the brake, yes let off on the throttle, otherwise you're not accomplishing anything by staying on the throttle.

Different scenarios, different process.

Gary

Sam Mac
02-07-2016, 11:34 AM
I use this stuff to clean plastic windshields and my helmet visor.

http://www.amazon.com/Prist-PGC13-Gl.../dp/B00SRQVSIW (http://www.amazon.com/Prist-PGC13-Glass-Cleaner/dp/B00SRQVSIW)

Friend of mine that is a pilot gave me a can back when we used to race to clean the Lexan windshields. It's made for airplane windshields.

Lew L
HOT,HOT water on a soft clean rag. Just place it on the dried-up bug guts. Let it sit-----NO rubbing!!!
Some parts of the bug are a hard as the plastic windshield---- thus scratching. Yes this method is solwer but your windshield is expensive. A quick wipe with Plexis or the like Before you leave make it all easier.

Kaos

cognaccruiser

Use a towel or microfiber cloth soaked in preferably warm water and just lay it on top of your windshield and it will soften the bugs and they will mostly hose off. Less possibility of scratching the OEM windshield.

Gary

Yazz
02-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Wet clothes dryer sheets.

threefingers2
02-07-2016, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Sam Mac;1089110]I use this stuff to clean plastic windshields and my helmet visor.

http://www.amazon.com/Prist-PGC13-Gl.../dp/B00SRQVSIW (http://www.amazon.com/Prist-PGC13-Glass-Cleaner/dp/B00SRQVSIW)

Friend of mine that is a pilot gave me a can back when we used to race to clean the Lexan windshields. It's made for airplane windshields.[/QUOTEThanks for your tip, i just ordered 3 can's. on sale at Pilots HQ's

ARtraveler
02-07-2016, 12:24 PM

A dryer sheet in a spray bottle of water. Dissolves bugs nicely.

trikermutha
02-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Mothers spray wax works fine on clean paint..

trikermutha
02-07-2016, 12:30 PM
A dryer sheet in a spray bottle of water. Dissolves bugs nicely.

Never heard of that trick yet..have to try sometime..:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
02-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Warm Water.

Cruzr Joe

fjray
02-07-2016, 01:40 PM
.....:agree:..............But definitely NOT on the Windshield........It will build up and you will have to remove it with something much stronger............Also NEVER use paper I don't care what F-4 says....Here's a scenario, you have an F-4, you are washing and using PAPER.....your better-half is washing Hers SHE doesn't have an F-4, but She copies you and uses PAPER.................AND SCRATCHES UP HER WINDSHIELD........if you think I'm being ridiculous, I'm OK with that......jmho.....Mike :thumbup:

Agree on the not using paper towels any where except wiping off the dipstick But Pledge works just fine and does not build up. I've used it for 30+ years on bikes, boats,planes and it's the go to detailer of choice for the restorations I do. It's recommended by many canvas shops for the plastic windows in boat canvas and convertible tops. JMHO

Brentc
02-07-2016, 02:00 PM

if a hose is available, lots of running water to flush the dried on critters away, if not then another option is to soak your hotel room towel, assuming your on the road, in hot water and gently drape it over the dead bugs for a while and then they will rinse off easily with a little water from a hotel ice bucket or anything that will hold some water. The main objective is to get the bugs off so they do not scratch while you are wiping the windshield.

Ps- the room towel thing is best done out of site of the hotel manger, or bring your own dedicated bug towel.

keefer
02-07-2016, 02:26 PM

I use Spay bottle nozzle in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Spray directly on baked on bugs. Softens up the bugs and they just wipe away with a microfiber cloth.

Chupaca
02-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Jack

I'm found of the lemon pledge... usually buy a small one when I arrive at events to spiffy up the ryde. :thumbup:

fencepost
02-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I use Cycle Care products. There #33 is a spray on cleaner for windshield, paint and chrome. I also keep a damp microfiber cloth in a zip lock bag. Works great on the road to get bugs off the windshield.

Pampurrs
02-07-2016, 04:50 PM
http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/ (http://www.originalbikespirits.com/)

I've been using this stuff on all my bikes for as far back as I can remember. It's the best in the world for cleaning any bike, hands down.

No, you don't need to throttle down when downshifting.

Pam

condorflysu
02-07-2016, 05:41 PM
I've been using this for many years, from the aviation community.
Does take a little elbow work to polish out, pledge is cheaper.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/plexus-plastic-cleaner-protectant-polish

Bdomini
02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
I have been using a mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% hydrogen peroxide for quite some time.

Don K
02-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Everyone's knowledge and suggestions on the down shift and the cleaning is very much appreciated.
Thanks Don

Annamarie
02-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Good morning everyone!
Thanks for your help.
Don

I find that backing off the throttle a "tad" makes for a more smooth ride. As far as cleaners, I'm a new rider and looking forward to seeing the responses too. Thanks, Annamarie

fireplug98
02-07-2016, 08:09 PM
I use Honda polish. ....about $5.50 a can.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123854&stc=1

I've used the Honda cleaner/polish for years. It does a pretty good job.
I am interested in the cleaner/polish that Lamont is selling. Hearing a ton of positive & great reviews on it.
I'm hoping to get a can at the beginning of SpyderFest. Hoping Pitbull or Spyderpops are selling it. I'll use it while at SpyderFest and if
it works as I expect it to :D (if its from Lamont, I know its gonna be good), I will buy 6-7 cans to take home.

Stay Safe,
Tommy J.:cheers:

vstrommer
02-07-2016, 08:16 PM
:agree: Me too......

ARtraveler
02-07-2016, 08:43 PM
I use Spay bottle nozzle in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Spray directly on baked on bugs. Softens up the bugs and they just wipe away with a microfiber cloth.

:agree: This also works for me. :thumbup:

blackbeauty
02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
I avoid having to sneak past the motel front desk with their room towls by simply asking if they have any old towels available to clean the bugs off my windscreen and bike. They've never failed to provide them along with a smile and a "thanks for asking". I have 2014 RT Se6 Ltd, platinum satin, so no wax. However, i do get the bugs off with towel soaked in warm to hot water then rinse. They just slide off. Gonna try the dryer sheet thing though.

Deanna777
02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
I have been using a mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% hydrogen peroxide for quite some time.I have never heard of using 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50% distilled water, I will have to try that some time. Deanna