PDA

View Full Version : Unlucky Spyder Rider

noboot
02-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Australian Spyder Rider gets chopped by lane changer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aEM8LhUyT0

Bob Denman
02-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Well; at least it was all caught on camera.
They've got lots of evidence! :thumbup:
Question:
(Since I'm used to riding on the "other" side of the road...)
Was the Spyder overtaking in the correct lane?
Should the cage have yielded the right of way to him? :dontknow:

Okay... TWO questions! :D

Peter Aawen
02-06-2016, 05:20 PM
It was on a divided section of road with two lanes travelling in each direction, so yeah, both the car & the Spyder were travelling in the correct lane/direction - at least originally. The argument here is going to be 'did the car indicate that it was going to change lanes sufficiently early & then execute that lane change safely/appropriately vs was the Spyder travelling at a safe & legal speed such that the car could've changed lanes safely if he (the Spyder rider) had been doing so....' & from what we can see on the vid, there's no real way of US being able to accurately tell either!! It'll probably be a court job to decide on that one! :shocked:

But one thing it does highlight (other news telling us that the Spyder rider apparently walked away with 'a little minor road rash' & 'was extremely lucky he was thrown clear') - you really don't want to be strapped securely on the top of your Spyder in that sort of accident!! :yikes:

Bob Denman
02-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Those were actually the concerns that I had about this situation... once the "Wrong side of the road" thing was figured out... :joke:
Proper signaling, and perhaps an incorrect overtaking speed...
Simple mistakes that can have dire consequences. nojoke
The rider was VERY lucky that oncoming traffic didn't kill him. :yikes:

HayRog
02-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Spyder rider was overtaking in the correct lane.
The rest is up for grabs.

billybovine
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Agree with above. But more slanted to an unsafe lane change. Video experts may be able to calculate the overtaking speed.

Iamjoey
02-06-2016, 06:00 PM
The car had 2 cameras was it a cop car? And if the cop car in the rear do you think it had a camera rolling too.

Copperman
02-06-2016, 06:22 PM
The good thing was there was no oncoming traffic. Had there been, the rider would have been run over and not been able to "walk away". Although, one second earlier, he would have been run over.

Orange Spyder Man
02-06-2016, 06:53 PM
who was it that said "you can't turn over a spyder" ??

osm

ARtraveler
02-06-2016, 07:01 PM
who was it that said "you can't turn over a spyder" ??

osm

That one went over pretty easy. :yes:

Bob Denman
02-06-2016, 07:21 PM
It overturned when it got pinched against that low center divider... :shocked:

bmccaffrey
02-06-2016, 07:59 PM
I believe that was a cop right behind the spyder.

His lights came on after it happened

Peter Aawen
02-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Nope, I'm pretty sure that wasn't a cop, we don't have cop cars like that in Aus. ;)

But that car did have a roof rack, altho it was his hazard lights that went on as he pulled into the RH lane.

Bfromla
02-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Keep us updated as info is released please. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupaca
02-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Glad to hear that the driver came away with minor injuries. :pray: they do have enough eyes on this...

Peter Aawen
02-07-2016, 02:19 AM
One (& just one) of the follow-up reports that I've seen here say that the Spyder rider is still in hospital?!? But the majority say his injuries were minor & he's OK. ;)

The driver of the car has been hammered by all & sundry for his un-safe lane change, & if the local media is anything to go by, we might even get to see another crucifixion! :yikes:

Our rules here do pretty much put the onus for safe lane changing on the driver of the vehicle actually changing lanes.... they are only permitted to do so safely, regardless of the speed of the 'overtaking vehicle'; & most of the insurance & LEO types I know here who've seen the footage suggest this one is pretty cut & dried - it was a dangerous lane change resulting in injury.

But as with so many other things, unless you were there & implicitly involved, there's no real way that you'll have access to the entire story, and even if you were there, there's 3 truths; the driver's version, the rider's version, & what really happened! :rolleyes:

SDM
02-07-2016, 02:45 AM
:pray:Sweet Jesus, he was lucky!!!:pray:

Bob Denman
02-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Our rules here do pretty much put the onus for safe lane changing on the driver of the vehicle actually changing lanes.... they are only permitted to do so safely, regardless of the speed of the 'overtaking vehicle'; & most of the insurance & LEO types I know here who've seen the footage suggest this one is pretty cut & dried - it was a dangerous lane change resulting in injury.

Thanks for the explanation of your traffic laws... there's virtually no difference with what we've got here, but it needed to be said... :clap:

Vader
02-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the information, Peter.
As a former LEO, I had the unfortunate experience numerous times to arrive at accident scenes..and you are correct with the different versions of what happens. But I will comment based on my personal and professional opinion. The driver absolutely should have used more caution when changing lanes, and due to their unsafe lane change, the Spyder ryder had no chance to change his travel, unless he had moved to his left to avoid impacting the curbed median. But I would also point out, while the ryder was wearing a helmet, he was not wearing a jacket. I am a firm believer in ATGATT(All The Gear All The Time)

Thanks again for the information.