PDA

View Full Version : Another dilemma

vdoman
02-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Even before I get my new and first Spyder, a 2016 F3 LTD Triple Black, annoying questions keep popping up for me. I'm in Northern NJ, NYC weather. Won't bother getting the bike to April although it is at the dealer now (crated). I just measured in my "Garage" how much room I would have for the Spyder because many years ago I enlarged my dining room taking half the garage with it. Well Lo and behold, I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE!!! *&^%$#@ :banghead:. So now I desperately need opinions on how to store this beautiful bike. Purchase a Bike Barn, Cycle Shelter, or what? Small Cape Cod homes by me so property lines are close together. Only have 10-12 feet (width) to get between homes from my driveway to my rear yard. I'd prefer to have something on the side of my home rather than having to put it 100' in the rear of the property. Any suggestions and experiences would be extremely appreciated! The thought of putting a simple cover over the bike during the winter just won't cut it. HELP!

Dochatley
02-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Park it in the dining room. It's sure pretty enough to. :banghead:

vdoman
02-05-2016, 06:23 PM
:clap::yes::clap::clap::clap::thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Can you make room for a 10x7 foot storage building along side of your house? :dontknow:
That would store the bike, your riding gear, tools, and the collection of spare parts that always seem to crop up around these toys... :thumbup:
(Make it 12x7, and you'll have room for a sleeping bag, if your Wife puts you in the Dog House after attempting the "Dining Room Gambit"!)

bmccaffrey
02-05-2016, 07:15 PM
U only took half the garage

What's in the other half :dontknow:

vdoman
02-05-2016, 07:34 PM
U only took half the garage

What's in the other half :dontknow:

The Garage was built in the 30's. If I were to pull a car into it before I took half of it I wouldn't be able to open the drivers door wide enough to get out of the car. Useless as a garage and therefore why I used it to widen dining room. Reading other older threads I saw some say their "Bike Barn" held up well while others not so much. So I'm kind of leaning towards the Cycle Shelter http://www.cycleshelter.com/motorcycle-shelter-outdoor-bike-storage.php . To answer your question . . . JUNK! snowblower etc. Using as a shed. Just wondering if others had good luck with other manufactures.

Chupaca
02-05-2016, 07:37 PM
May need a lay out of your house and property...:roflblack: How much do you use the extension ?? may have to give it back...:dontknow:

NorCalBud
02-05-2016, 07:48 PM
I would think that the "Cycle Shelter" that you've proposed would not last too long in the elements. Sure, it might be great for the 3 moderate seasons, but #4 would have that thing in shreds before too long.... I wouldn't choose it to store my machine in it (as a 1st resort anyway).
I might be wrong, but I don't think so...my 2 cents...
Good luck in any case and Welcome to the Spyder Family!

Bfromla
02-05-2016, 09:02 PM
The Garage was built in the 30's. If I were to pull a car into it before I took half of it I wouldn't be able to open the drivers door wide enough to get out of the car. Useless as a garage and therefore why I used it to widen dining room. Reading other older threads I saw some say their "Bike Barn" held up well while others not so much. So I'm kind of leaning towards the Cycle Shelter http://www.cycleshelter.com/motorcycle-shelter-outdoor-bike-storage.php . To answer your question . . . JUNK! snowblower etc. Using as a shed. Just wondering if others had good luck with other manufactures.
:agree: The cycleshelter or a bike barn on a porch shoud be acceptiable. As garage ive seen few adaptations anything from mutiple doors(front & a side the side door that lifted outward) & bay window projects till they got the right fit. Not seeing the floor plan of what you have to work with. Best of luck to you

Wreckluse
02-05-2016, 09:39 PM
How about a "sea" can storage container? Waterproof, secure and damn near indestructible. Available in many sizes. When you are done with it, sell it for near what you paid.

Cruzr Joe
02-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a good excuse, errr, i mean reason to build a new shop, heated of course.

Cruzr Joe

blacklightning
02-05-2016, 09:56 PM
I would go with an enclosed 7x12 trailer. This can be used for storage, and also for transport if needed.

robmorg
02-05-2016, 10:31 PM
I would think that the "Cycle Shelter" that you've proposed would not last too long in the elements. Sure, it might be great for the 3 moderate seasons, but #4 would have that thing in shreds before too long.... I wouldn't choose it to store my machine in it (as a 1st resort anyway).
I might be wrong, but I don't think so...my 2 cents...
Good luck in any case and Welcome to the Spyder Family!
:agree: You sometimes get some high winds and heavy snow in North Jersey :shocked:. I personally would spend a few hundred more dollars and buy a more permanent shed. That way you could wire it for electricity, so you could have light and an outlet for your battery tender, a small air compressor, etc. After all, for what you paid for that F-3 Limited, you may not want to "go cheap" when it comes to protecting it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-05-2016, 11:23 PM
To answer your question . . . JUNK! snowblower etc. Using as a shed. Just wondering if others had good luck with other manufactures.
How about buying a storage shed, like a Lifetime plastic one from Costco, and moving all the junk from the garage into it and use the garage to store the Spyder? Or are you saying that even with the garage emptied out it's not big enough for the Spyder? Think about this. Since the garage is 80 years old why don't you demolish it, and build a new wide enough garage that is as long as the house? Put the Spyder in the front end of it and all your other stuff in the back end. Put a roll up or double door on each end and you'll have easy access to everything.

Hokiev
02-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Even before I get my new and first Spyder, a 2016 F3 LTD Triple Black, annoying questions keep popping up for me. I'm in Northern NJ, NYC weather. Won't bother getting the bike to April although it is at the dealer now (crated). I just measured in my "Garage" how much room I would have for the Spyder because many years ago I enlarged my dining room taking half the garage with it. Well Lo and behold, I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE!!! *&^%$#@ :banghead:. So now I desperately need opinions on how to store this beautiful bike. Purchase a Bike Barn, Cycle Shelter, or what? Small Cape Cod homes by me so property lines are close together. Only have 10-12 feet (width) to get between homes from my driveway to my rear yard. I'd prefer to have something on the side of my home rather than having to put it 100' in the rear of the property. Any suggestions and experiences would be extremely appreciated! The thought of putting a simple cover over the bike during the winter just won't cut it. HELP!

I was in a similar situation. Looked at storage buildings, trailers and the Bike Barn. While I would have preferred the first two options, the Bike Barn for around $500 including shipping is what the boss said I could do. I decided to build a platform/base with pressure treated ply and added a weather proof electric outlet coming in through the floor. That allowed me to add a Battery Tender to keep the battery charged during the winter. I also added $19 ceramic heater that I keep on the lowest setting. Even when the temps dropped in the low teens recently it only comes on every few ours. We had a 20+ inch blizzard a few weeks ago and with the heater still on low, it keeps the snow from accumulating on the roof of the Bike Barn. Winds had no effect on the structure. I know this is not a long term solution but I feel confident it will last at least 5 years.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123821&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123822&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123823&stc=1

Marker
02-06-2016, 11:13 AM
I use a bike Barn. Its my first winter using it. I make sure and clean the snow off it with a brush,
I bought the bike barn heater to help keep moisture off of my spyder. I built a base for the barn to sit on and also to keep the spyder up off the driveway.
In the summer I will keep the spyder in the bike barn, no more playing with a cover.
I put mothballs around the spyder to help keep rodents out.so far so good.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123831&stc=1

pitzerwm
02-06-2016, 11:44 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123832&stc=1

11x12 works perfect

latony007
02-08-2016, 02:44 PM
How about buying a storage shed, like a Lifetime plastic one from Costco, and moving all the junk from the garage into it and use the garage to store the Spyder? Or are you saying that even with the garage emptied out it's not big enough for the Spyder? Think about this. Since the garage is 80 years old why don't you demolish it, and build a new wide enough garage that is as long as the house? Put the Spyder in the front end of it and all your other stuff in the back end. Put a roll up or double door on each end and you'll have easy access to everything.

i was going to say / ask the exact same thing. These shots of it being stored outside in the snow even under cover make me want to cry. i am so glad i dont have to deal with that. My garage JUST big enough to fit my car, spyder and yamaha and be able to get them all out without moving any others, plus no snow here :)

Im not saying this is you because obviously your cannibalized garage cant fit a car but it always amazes me that most garages are used to store useless worthless junk while the persons 30k+ car / motorcycle / spyder sits outside. I live in a small gated community and there is almost zero place to park in it because everyone has their cars on the street and garages full of junk.

Bob Denman
02-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Another option:
Could you hang a carport off the side of your house? Leave it open on three sides during the summer, and Pre-Fab up some outer walls for the Winter. :thumbup:

MouthPiece
02-08-2016, 03:41 PM
? Does this, the outside storage, effect whether your spyder is insured or not? (just askin)

Chris

wyliec
02-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Simple solution to give you extra time to think about it, store it in the winter months. Either have your own rental storage unit, or bed it down with others.

I'm in North Bergen till the end of the week. I can tell you after driving some of the steepest roads I've been on here with my Jeep, I don't think my stomach could handle those hilly streets with my Spyder.nojoke

vdoman
02-08-2016, 08:04 PM
? Does this, the outside storage, effect whether your spyder is insured or not? (just askin)

Chris
didn't even think of that. I'll have to look into that.

vdoman
02-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Another option:
Could you hang a carport off the side of your house? Leave it open on three sides during the summer, and Pre-Fab up some outer walls for the Winter. :thumbup:

Property lines are too close. Town wouldn't let me build that close to adjacent home.

BajaRon
02-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Get an Ant Man suit for it.

Sorry, I'm no help. But I hope you come up with something reasonable.

Cruising RT
02-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Great Thinking:roflblack::roflblack:

Motorcycledave
02-09-2016, 02:16 AM
Easy just move the wall back where it was
you czn do without that pesky dineingroom
or install a roll up door in that wall and park
it where the table is.
That should do it
Dave

manxman
02-09-2016, 07:50 AM

Look at one of the builders supply places, they have some nice 10x10 and other sizes that make a nice place for all the Spyder stuff, I have a shed that I enlarged and built double doors for it, room for the Spyder and odds and ends but no room to work on the machine...............

Ex-Rocket
02-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Here's another angle on your problem. Why don't you just rent a storage locker close by to keep your Spyder through the winter months. It sure is a lot cheaper than buying a storage shed or a Bike Barn. They even have them with climate control to keep your Spyder nice and cozy through the winter months.

MouthPiece
02-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Here's another angle on your problem. Why don't you just rent a storage locker close by to keep your Spyder through the winter months. It sure is a lot cheaper than buying a storage shed or a Bike Barn. They even have them with climate control to keep your Spyder nice and cozy through the winter months.

Plus insurance might cover that one.

​Chris