PDA

View Full Version : did you see this today

cuznjohn
02-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Horrifying NYC Crane Collapse Caught on Camera 0:55

The deadly crane collapse in New York City on Friday was just the latest in a series of accidents that have killed and injured hard-working construction workers and bystanders who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
A pedestrian, 38-year-old David Wichs, was killed when the crane in New York collapsed at around 8:30 a.m., officials said. Two other people were seriously hurt and a third suffered minor injuries, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said.
Related: 1 Dead, 3 Hurt in Manhattan Crane Collapse (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Crane-Collapses-in-Financial-District-367800831.html)
Since 2006, at least 21 workers across the country have been killed when the machines they rely on to lift heavy loads into the sky suddenly failed them, according to federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration figures obtained by NBC News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GktkpEUFLU

Sam Mac
02-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Yep, I've been following that. Something strange about this one. They were not lifting anything. It was only the weight of the boom that pulled it over. My only guess is that they didn't have enough counter weight on the rear of the machine. It should have been able to lower or lift the boom lowered all the way straight out horizontal. I've worked around cranes for a good portion of my life so this one has me stumped. Google Bay Crane accident.

Bob Denman
02-05-2016, 06:55 PM
:shocked: Massive failure of something...
Either Brainpower or mechanical: something was way off, for that to happen!
Thanks for posting the video, John. The reactions of the guys who caught this was pretty amazing!

jerpinoy
02-05-2016, 07:15 PM
These cranes have been used all over the world safely but something will happen like this if some safety procedures are ignored. Here in Bellevue, Washington, there was crane fatal accident like that happened not too long ago.

oldguyinTX
02-05-2016, 08:38 PM
What I saw on the news was that they were trying to secure it due to high winds, as per the manufacturers recommendation. Some folks were asking why they didn't do it yesterday in advance of the storm. Also, it was inspected this morning by the city, and given an OK.

gkamer
02-06-2016, 11:12 PM
A friend posted it on his Facebook page. He commented to me that "my people" (meaning NY'ers) have potty mouths. I told him if he thinks that's bad, he should hear us when we get excited.

ARtraveler
02-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Scary. Hope they figure it out. Seems similar to the crane collapse in Milwaukee when they were building the baseball stadium. That one was wind related. A good gust and all that surface area? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
02-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Google Bay Crane accident.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/construction-crane-collapses-manhattan-injures-2-article-1.2521130

ARtraveler
02-07-2016, 08:36 PM
The latest news reports state that the crane collapse was the result of to much wind. :thumbup: