PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! Polaris rubber spring spacers install

PatriotRider
02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
I've got my spacers, my spyder is up on ramps, with jack lifting a wheel off the ramp in the air

I cut 1.75 inches off both of the split ends of the spacers. drenched both spring and spacer in soapy water.

then with the spacer all in one piece
1) tried to install on center of spring which is around the body of the shock
2) tried to install around spring at higher end / above the body of the shock

tried using plastic tools that remove trim pieces from cars

no go :(

even if hammering (afraid to hammer much and damage the rubber spacer) the plastic tool on the lip of the spacer to "jump" over the spring at one end and failing, I then realize that later I have no idea what to do about the back side of the spacer to install

need more step by step help on the install...feel free to call me if you have some time

researching threads hints that some have cut pieces out of the spacer and installed 2 pieces between 1 & 2 inches in length at opposite ends of the spring...that would be easier, but is there a downside

thanx
Mike in Nawlins'
pulling hair out as an hour of daylight left
and a trip scheduled for tomorrow

4 MARIE
02-04-2016, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=PatriotRider;1088168]I've got my spacers, my spyder is up on ramps, with jack lifting a wheel off the ramp in the air

I kind of gather from the jacking picture you painted for me, that your wheel is not "unweighted" or
Dangling if you prefer. or hanging free. IF it isn't unweighted, then your shock/spring is not fully
extended which is gonna be a problem.

Plyrod38
02-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Mike, Those spacers are a Beach to install. I cut a taper on one end, soaped it up real good and got it started and worked it in slowly. I got 1 side done and had to recruit help for the other side, just didn't have enough strength left in my hands. You may need to cut more than 1.75" off. I think I removed around 3". I didn't measure.

vstrommer
02-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Anybody have any pics of the Final Install?:dontknow:

PatriotRider
02-04-2016, 08:48 PM
After the good reviews of the doc Humphreys spacers (all metal triangles with bolt welded on), I decided to take the two 2" cut pieces I removed from each end of the spacers (easily using a box cutter) and install them. Jacked up each side till the wheel/tire was off the ground (the other wheel was on a ramp to raise the machine to a working height. Soapy water and plastic trim tool (the tip is hard plastic into a wedge or chisel end with rounded point), I soaped up the spacer (medium hard/firm rubber) and spring. I had to start it on the spring at the very end of the spacer and then get the tool to "grab" and push the quite firm edge of lip over the spring. It was a bitch to get started, but once a portion was on, pushing the rest was easier.
So I installed 2 pieces of spacer on each side, on the middle space of spring, and with more soapy water, pushed each to even space facing each other front to back, so kinda hidden.
I haven't ridden it yet, tomorrow I have a Patriot Guard Mission and will easily ride a couple hundred miles solo. My wife is off from work this week and I hope to get in a ride with her and the bike maxed out on some curvy roads.
I still have two spacers with 3/4 of a circle which I guess some have installed in total, but I hope the pieces will work. I'm convinced they will, especially after the metal ones have proven to be effective.
Don't mean to slam the metal ones at all...but they are $85 vs these Polaris ones are $16...both from Amazon
and I have enough to make more pieces for a 3rd one on each shock and maybe even put a couple on the rear shock to shore it up and help protect the airbag from the heavy load of wifey, me, gear, & luggage. I see no reason it won't work.

vstrommer
02-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the Pic update.......:thumbup:

PatriotRider
02-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Rode 1 up, my 235# self and was loving it. I think it's a magnitude better handling and as "flickable" as 3 wheels are gonna get now.

Baja ron sway bar...spacers...rear shock set to a couple clicks less than full hard

here's the hard plastic automotive panel / trim removal tool I used: