PDA

View Full Version : Dealer labor rates

IndyBill
02-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I went to my local dealer where I bought my F3s to order the heavier rear shock. On a new sign the have posted the labor rate for the Spyder is $150.00 per hour.

They are a multi line dealer and the rate for motorcycles and ATV's is $100.00 per hour. I think both rates are outrageous but a 50% increase because it is a Spyder is insane.

To me it says they do not want to work on Spyders even though they are a dealer. Worst thing is both dealers in my area are owned by the same person so rates are the same.

Looks like I will be doing all my own work.

Only good thing is I got a 20% discount on the shock.

I like the people at the dealership but will only buy parts there.

Bill

Big Arm
02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a good plan !!! :clap:

oldguyinTX
02-04-2016, 04:54 PM
That is pretty darn high. I suspect that they do not have a trained (by BRP) technician, so they are padding their rates because they know it is going to take an untrained wrench turner longer to do the work. Spyders are complicated machines, and it can take some time to sort things out. My dealer, who is a multi brand dealer, charges a flat rate of $99.00/hour, and they do have a trained technician. In fact, I believe they have two. Keep in mind that BRP has a flat rate table of how long it should take a trained technician to do a given task, such as an oil change. I think you are getting hosed by a "stealership". Just my opinion.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-04-2016, 05:02 PM
:agree:..I have done all maintainence and routine service on Spyder ( 2014 RT ) since I purchased it. I am not a professional mechanic............The 1330 requires very little service and it's not complicated what there is.......You would be surprised at what you could do if you tried..........good luck.......Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
My last look a month ago was $110. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-04-2016, 05:31 PM
My Dealer increased their Labor rates to $65.00 per hour... :shocked:

...From $50.00! :gaah:

I guess that I should be thanking them...

crazycanuck
02-04-2016, 06:02 PM
My Dealer increased their Labor rates to $65.00 per hour... :shocked:

...From $50.00! :gaah:

I guess that I should be thanking them...

Stop showing off :chill:

Bob Denman
02-04-2016, 06:14 PM
:D Sorry...
But sometimes, you just have to be happy! :yes:

stillriding
02-04-2016, 06:20 PM
I went to my local dealer where I bought my F3s to order the heavier rear shock. On a new sign the have posted the labor rate for the Spyder is $150.00 per hour.

They are a multi line dealer and the rate for motorcycles and ATV's is $100.00 per hour. I think both rates are outrageous but a 50% increase because it is a Spyder is insane.

To me it says they do not want to work on Spyders even though they are a dealer. Worst thing is both dealers in my area are owned by the same person so rates are the same.

Bill​That's criminal! Why don't they just point a gun at you when you ride in?

Mike Ard
02-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Getting my F3 back tomorrow. My dealer installed the fully sintered brake pads on all 3 wheels, Baja Ron links, cannon ball seat, cut fender, big city baffle plus checked the line for the hand brake to make sure nothing hot is near the line. They sent a trailer from Caldwell to pick it up in Boise and are bringing it back tomorrow after a good washing and detailing. Total bill was 340.00. They also took care of the recall but I wasn't responsible for that.

not sure what they charge per hour but I know they are sure treating me right! I paid the dealer in Boise more than 340 just to put my elka's on my RS.

Copperman
02-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Bill

Welcome to reality!

If you're willing to travel (maybe 100 miles) a little, you can go to Maximum Power Sports at 2990 S US 31 Peru, IN 46970. Their labor rates are $85.00 an hour. They only charge one hour (plus parts) for an oil change. They're very reasonable... all things considered.

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Wow, we need to raise our rates. :roflblack:

Chupaca
02-04-2016, 07:17 PM
The labor rates are unbelievable...:yikes: the spyder is no harder to work on than a goldwing. I have worked on them both and would prefer the spyder. The space would be the only problem. Have seen some problems with them not wanting to deal with the warranty work. You can't make as much there and actually have a ryding buddy who was told not to bring his spyder in for service. (he has an ongoing oil leaking problem). I do my own work but know it is not that easy for others. Last time I had a dealer hook me up to buds he cleaned up all but the hours without service...some 785 hours no service and they can't erase that because I don't have the work done with them....

Trickie Dick
02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Welcome to reality!

If you're willing to travel (maybe 100 miles) a little, you can go to Maximum Power Sports at 2990 S US 31 Peru, IN 46970. Their labor rates are $85.00 an hour. They only charge one hour (plus parts) for an oil change. They're very reasonable... all things considered.
Agree! Good people at Maximum and their tech has been there for years. The Service Manager has been there for over 25 years.

retread
02-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Indybill, the rates at that dealer for Spyders have ALWAYS been $150/hour, they raised their rates for other bikes. Try Maximum.

john

mtbear
02-05-2016, 02:03 PM
$60.00 here for labor. They also now have laser alignment.
mtbear

Bob Denman
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
:clap: That's even cheaper than my guys! :bowdown::bowdown:
I'm glad to see that somebody else found some reasonable pricing! :2thumbs:

latony007
02-05-2016, 04:03 PM
wow that is crazy. i thought the 110 here was high. I like the guys at 60 an hour. I may ride out to CO for my next service!
i did oil changes on my RS by myself but it was so easy to get the tuperware off of it. Looks like a PITA on the new RT i have and am afraid im going to break the mirrors trying to get them off lol. would certainly be nice if the design was such you could so simple things like an oil change without having to remove every panel from the bike.

Empty Pockets
02-05-2016, 04:45 PM
$60.00 here for labor. They also now have laser alignment.
mtbear

What is the name and location of the dealer??

jaherbst
02-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Well let me explain the higher math to you "Three Wheeled Pilots". Our two shops here in town charge $120 per hour. Yikes! Not so quick "highway

breath". They use the Can Am book rates i.e. the calculated time Can Am has decided it takes to do a certain job. If they run over that time which

they usually do, you are only charged the book rate time. i.e. if Can Am says it takes 2 hours to do the job you are only charged $240 and not for the

3 hours it took them. ($360) I think this is fair. It prevents " on the job training" for junior mechanics.

If your shop only charges strait time and not book rate even at the lower cost per hour you could still be paying more.

A thought to ponder on.

3-togo
02-05-2016, 11:09 PM
Wow, we need to raise our rates. :roflblack:

No ! No ! You are perfect as you are now ! Thanks for the excellent work.
Pete

sandeejs
02-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Bill

The dealership I use to go too was pretty high, and the tech said he could not figure my parking brake out.
Realized that there was a closer place, cheaper and the tech ACTUALLY LOOKED AT THE PARKING BRAKE!
~Sandee~

2dogs
02-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Here's two possibilities. #1, they don't want to work on spyders, or #2, they only need to work on a couple of spyders to make wages that day. It's like selling apples for $100 each. You don't need to have very many apples and some dumb so-in-so is eventually going to come along and buy one.