PDA

View Full Version : BLUE EXHAUST ON STARTUP AFTER STORAGE

FieldTester
02-03-2016, 11:43 AM
My 2015 STL with only 3000 miles was down for the last 3 months and upon startup yesterday the exhaust was light blue.
To my surprise it burned some oil (smell was apparent) for the first minute until coming up to temp.

Have any of you had this issue of ring blowby after cold storage for a few months ??

GOZFST
02-03-2016, 12:11 PM
My 2015 STL with only 3000 miles was down for the last 3 months and upon startup yesterday the exhaust was light blue.
To my surprise it burned some oil (smell was apparent) for the first minute until coming up to temp.

Have any of you had this issue of ring blowby after cold storage for a few months ??
The rings may not be fully broken in yet with only 3,000 miles, I'd just keep an eye on it, it might also be oil seeping past the valve guides, but my best guess is the rings rings aren't fully seated in yet.

jcthorne
02-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Pretty normal for the 998s to burn a bit of oil. Especially at cold start up.

BajaRon
02-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Agree with GOZFST. The 998 tends to burn some oil, especially with the low miles you have on it. Too early to be concerned. The oil you use and your riding style will also make a difference as to how much you use.

2dogs
02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
I woke my 1330 up after it had been sleeping for a month and it let out the most awful sound for about 15 seconds after it started up. Scary as hell. It sounded like dumping a bucket of gravel into an empty 55 gallon drum. A couple of weeks later I had to move my spyder again. Holding my breath I started it up and the same sound once more for about 10 seconds until it faded out, just like the last time. I stopped by the dealer's service department and was told the likely cause of the horrible noise was that the oil had drained out of the lifters. After about 10/15 seconds they pump up with oil and the noise will go away. The only change to the motor since it was new (2014) has been an oil change when I switched from BRP oil to 10/40 Amsoil. Has anyone else had this experienced? Is it possible for the oil to drain out of the lifters and if so, will it cause damage?

Chupaca
02-03-2016, 03:38 PM
That is a little oil burn off. As stated above you may have a bit of oil seeping from ther rings especially if the grooves line up at shut down. This should get better with use. :thumbup: not to worry unless it does it every time and takes longer to clear up....

On the 1330 that noise is from the lifters charging back up and will also get better with time. When I serviced the older Vulcans from Kawazaki they would clatter like that for the first mile or more. Hated to service them when the customer was waiting. Would have to walk the bike to the street before riding away for the initial test ride...:gaah:

Bob Denman
02-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Carl,
Are you sure that it wasn't just some condensation in the exhaust, that picked up some of the normal accumulation of crud, before being blown out the pipe? :dontknow:
By the way... :congrats: on starting your bike up! I'm hoping to fire mine up tomorrow! :pray:

DrewNJ
02-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Also, make sure your not overfilling your oil. If you are and there is oil in the airbox it will slowly weep down past the throttle bodies.
Either way, I highly doubt its an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FieldTester
02-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Also, make sure your not overfilling your oil. If you are and there is oil in the airbox it will slowly weep down past the throttle bodies.
Either way, I highly doubt its an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Only had the first oil change so far, it was done by the dealer.
I was able to watch the process and was educated at that time by the mechanic on how not to overfill if I do it on my own.
So, thanks for your info, good to know for the future.

FieldTester
02-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Carl,
Are you sure that it wasn't just some condensation in the exhaust, that picked up some of the normal accumulation of crud, before being blown out the pipe? :dontknow:
By the way... :congrats: on starting your bike up! I'm hoping to fire mine up tomorrow! :pray:

BOB, I have inhaled a lot of blue smoke in my day !! ;)
See you soon buddy.

SpyderAnn01
02-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Was part of the education on not overfilling making sure that the Spyder is at operating temperature? Idling for a few minutes in a cold garage will not give you an accurate reading.

Bob Denman
02-04-2016, 08:36 AM
BOB, I have inhaled a lot of blue smoke in my day !! ;)
See you soon buddy.
;)... Just checking... :D
And I'm looking forward to it! :thumbup: