PDA

View Full Version : Extended Window Cleaning

sypderrobinson134
02-02-2016, 08:46 PM
So last year we got to invest in one of the larger windshields so that it gave us more comfort while riding. Now, with that said, I haven't really had a chance to wash it yet and was wondering if I can wash it the same way I did the smaller windshield. Do I need to be careful using a high powered washer on it or will it hold just fine? Just curious because I obviously don't want to break anything.

oldguyinTX
02-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I always use very low pressure when washing my Spyder. In fact, the Owner's Manual says not to use high pressure. I use a wand that has a "sprinkler" head on one end end a valve at the base. I open the hose bib attached to the house all the way, then just crack the valve on the wand a bit. I support the windshield with a hand on the side opposite the one I am washing. I use regular old car wash from Wally World with warm water and a sheepskin mitt. Then I spray the windshield with RainX for plastic and buff it out. After that, a spray wax on the body panels, a final wipe down, and ready to roll.

Bob Denman
02-03-2016, 08:16 AM
You didn't say who made your new windshield... :dontknow:
I think that it would be best to ask the folks who built it. :thumbup:
(Me: it's either a hose and soap, or a spray bottle of detailer...depending on the amount of bugs!)

F4 Customs
02-03-2016, 08:27 AM
If it is a F4 Custom windshield you can use any cleaner you like and if you want to pressure wash it that is fine. We also recommend using white vinegar or rubbing alcohol once in a while with paper towels to get the road grime off.

Don

Exditchdigger
02-03-2016, 10:22 AM
I would agree with the vinegar but I would never use a paper towel on any plastic windshield
:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie ::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smili e::lecturef_smilie:

Sam Mac
02-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I use this stuff to clean plastic windshields and my helmet visor.

http://www.amazon.com/Prist-PGC13-Glass-Cleaner/dp/B00SRQVSIW

Friend of mine that is a pilot gave me a can back when we used to race to clean the Lexan windshields.

pegasus1300
02-03-2016, 06:53 PM
If you use a car wash,don't pull the trigger back and you will get a low pressure spray. I will duck now so all the nay sayers can throw their rocks about never using a car wash:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2016, 07:01 PM
I would agree with the vinegar but I would never use a paper towel on any plastic windshield
:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie ::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smili e::lecturef_smilie:
....:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:........... ..........Paper is made from WOOD, use at your peril......Mike :thumbup:

Professor
02-03-2016, 07:57 PM

You may not have seen the F4 Customs windshield demonstration using steel wool. The hard coat on their windshields makes it quite safe to use a paper towel. Don makes them and owns the company and it's what he recommends (paper towels NOT steel wool). I've been using Windex and paper towels on mine since Spyderfest last year with no scratches. I would not do it with any other windshield.

Bob Denman
02-03-2016, 08:40 PM
:agree: When the guy who builds them says that it's okay; it most likely is! :thumbup:

sypderrobinson134
02-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the help. Really want it to get a little warmer before i decided to break down and fully wash the monster. I've always used a car wash up to this point which is what brought up the question in the first place. So many thanks guys.

rwc
02-04-2016, 03:24 PM
NEVER use a window cleaning product that contains ammonia on a lexan or plastic windshield it will discolor over time.

SteveLaoyster
02-04-2016, 04:18 PM
I've used Rain-X bug remover windshield washer with a cloth diaper. Works great & makes it easier to clean the next time around. :agree: that you shouldn't use any cleaner with ammonia or alcohol in it. Though I have used regular window cleaner in a pinch & didn't have any problems. Soaking a clean rag with warm water & putting it on the windshield for a while before cleaning helps too.