PDA

View Full Version : GS Speedometer display acting up

Tx web rider
02-01-2016, 01:41 AM
went for a ride today and as I was riding the lCD display would go out and come back on did this several times the rest of the cluster the analog speedometer and tach would continue to work
the odometer would even continue to record mileage

any ideas on this issue

Tx web rider
02-01-2016, 01:42 AM
2009 Gs sm5

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
...This sounds like a wiring or loose plug issue , but I don't know how it could be the plug, because some things still work .......Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
It might be your battery getting ready to crash. Is that the original battery in your 2009?

hecoon
02-01-2016, 03:01 PM
when I had an 08 when the speedo reached 62500 miles it started over also when the hours got to 1060 it froze

the hour meter did the same thing on my 09

Tx web rider
02-01-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm close to the 67k but I was told I had the software update to keep that from happening

from what I hear about that it just goes to zero nit blanks out

Tx web rider
02-11-2016, 11:26 PM
well checked the connection on the gauge cluster clean and tight battery good connections tight

fired it up gauge worked fin for about 10 min then faded to blank

after i shut down and turned on after being off for a few min it was back then faded to blank quickly

the analog works fine but the digital LCD goes blank but does maintain recording information

is there another plug deeper that i might need to check ?

r1100rider
02-12-2016, 12:04 AM
...This sounds like a wiring or loose plug issue , but I don't know how it could be the plug, because some things still work .......Mike :thumbup:
I work on appliances all the time and since they went to low voltage just checking plugs isn't enough any more these mili volt connections are very touchy so a lot of the time you need to slide the plugs in and out to make the metal parts of the contacts scratch and work or you need to take an awl and scrape the medal or carefully bend the contacts for more contact pressure,in the old days when full voltage was carried through the plugs they would heat up and either burn off or heat and weld together this doesn't happen in mili volt connections

freebob
02-12-2016, 12:29 AM
went for a ride today and as I was riding the lCD display would go out and come back on did this several times the rest of the cluster the analog speedometer and tach would continue to work
the odometer would even continue to record mileage

any ideas on this issue
I had the exact same thing happen to my Cluster on my 2010 rt about a month ago..Did the same as you checked all conn. Batt was new with no problems there...Ending up changing the cluster all is well now...you might have to get dealer to sync new cluster to BUDS..By the way new clusters
are not cheap about 400.00 to 800.00 on Rt..depending if you go with new or used...

Freebob...:doorag:

Bob Denman
02-12-2016, 08:13 AM
well checked the connection on the gauge cluster clean and tight battery good connections tight

fired it up gauge worked fin for about 10 min then faded to blank

after i shut down and turned on after being off for a few min it was back then faded to blank quickly

the analog works fine but the digital LCD goes blank but does maintain recording information

is there another plug deeper that i might need to check ?
If there's a plug at one end; there's got to be one at the other end also... :dontknow:
I hope that the problem is not in the display... :shocked:

Tx web rider
02-12-2016, 10:33 PM
well last time i used it the display faded out and has not returned

Bumblebee67
02-12-2016, 11:03 PM
A new cluster from BRP parts online for a 09 GS/RS SM5 is 349.00. Or BertsMegaMall is 369.00. Take it to dealer and tell them to pull a cluster from another bike and check it first before spending a couple of hours "troubleshooting" it. I done went this route one time before. :thumbup:

Tx web rider
02-12-2016, 11:50 PM
thanks ill do that actually have a friend local i can swap display with to see if issue moves since closest dealer is 150 miles