PDA

View Full Version : Trunk won't open

OverHillAndDale
01-29-2016, 06:19 PM
I installed some saddlebag lights, and put the rear Tupperware back in place. Last time I messed with the rear tupperware my trunk wouldn't close, but it closed just as smoothly as it ever did... but now it won't open. Yes, it's unlocked and the saddlebag release levers work just find, but when I pull the trunk release nothing happens.

I hate to go with with a sledgehammer - anyone got any gentler solutions?

NM Wrench
01-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Did you make sure the tabs were inserted when you installed the rear Tupperware? If not that would cause that.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

OverHillAndDale
01-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Yes, that's what caused me to previously not be able to close the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcycledaddy
01-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Did you try to push down on it as you try to open it? That works for mine when I have too much in it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Did you try to push down on it as you try to open it? That works for mine when I have too much in it.
.....:agree:, ........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-29-2016, 06:52 PM
See if there's anything in here that helps...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64363-lockedout-of-trunk&highlight=opening+trunk

Good luck! :thumbup:

Snowbelt Spyder
01-29-2016, 07:10 PM
See if there's anything in here that helps...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64363-lockedout-of-trunk&highlight=opening+trunk

Good luck! :thumbup:

I think the OP is talking about the TRUNK not the FRUNK.

Sometimes I have to give my release handle just a little extra force and it releases. It initially feels like it's at its full travel but it's actually not. For me, it mostly happens on one of the side compartments. Give the handle a little extra force and see what you think.

OverHillAndDale
01-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes, it is the trunk, not the frunk.

cptjam
01-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Ok, you might have to call me, but, try this:
get a long thin flat tip screwdriver. Pull on the left saddlebag latch, and you will see a gap. Slip the flat tip in at about a 45 degree angle. Get the tip on the latch, and slide it right. Listen for the click. If you can move the mechanism, the trunk will open. I believe there is a bit of tension on the latch, so it will not release with the lever. Joe

OverHillAndDale
01-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks Captain! I'll try that 1st thing in the morning.

When you say "insert at 45 degrees" do you mean horizontally towards the center?

PatriotRider
01-29-2016, 09:56 PM
check this thread out...it's helped me when I was taking on and off the rear Tupperware...it focuses on the trunk not closing, but might help
good luck

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?88780-Help-with-trunk-issue&p=1077283#post1077283

cptjam
01-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Slip slip in horizontally, then angle the tip up and right to find the sliding bar mechanism that releases the latches. I can FaceTime you thru it! I'm teaching a motorcycle safety class 9-12 Saturday, but otherwise, I'm available to help. Joe

Thanks Captain! I'll try that 1st thing in the morning.

When you say "insert at 45 degrees" do you mean horizontally towards the center?

OverHillAndDale
01-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Capn - The saddlebag latches don't push in at all. Maybe this is a design change between my 2014 and whatever year your byke is. When I pull forward on the left latch there is a small opening behind the latch I can get a screwdriver in, but I haven't found anything that moves when I try to press on whatever I'm feeling back there. Do I need to push left? Right? Straight? or am I supposed to slide it? Maybe we need to take this to PMs so we won't occupy the forum until after I get this resolved.

I'm baby sitting grandkids the rest of today, so maybe Sunday 1/30 sometime after church we can try facetyme? I suspect I'm poking in the wrong places (story of my life!).

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-30-2016, 10:53 AM
.........Both Cheapcycleparts.com and PROCALIBER.COM......provide parts " FICHEs' " that you can look at to see how all this stuff is assembled. It would be nice if we had x-ray vision but this is close :thumbup::thumbup:......maybe it will help..................Mike

SpyderAnn01
01-30-2016, 10:55 AM
.........Both Cheap Parts and PROCALIBER.COM......provide parts " FICHEs' " that you can look at to see how all this stuff is assembled. It would be nice if we had x-ray vision but this is close :thumbup::thumbup:......maybe it will help..................Mike

That's cheapcycleparts.com and so does www.can-am.brp.com (http://www.can-am.brp.com). I find that it is easier to look up on cheapcycleparts though.

OHD, I sent you a PM for CptJAM

OverHillAndDale
01-31-2016, 07:41 PM
Thanks to help from Conjam I got my trunk opened. I lacked the finesse required to get it done up behind the saddlebag latch, but he talked me through it with a putty knife.

I didn't have the infamous trunk tab in place, and when I closed the trunk there was too much tension on the latch.

Thanks Capn!