PDA

View Full Version : New Garmin Map

billybovine
01-28-2016, 11:28 AM
A new map update 2017.10 for Garmin GPS was released yesterday.

Recommend updating Garmin Express first. Version 4.1.13.0 for windows is the current one. Not sure about Mac. To check your version or do an update. Click on the gear symbol and then the "About" tab. The version will be there and the link to update.

Bob Denman
01-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:
How long did it take to download?

(I've got to schedule these things carefully... nojoke)

billybovine
01-28-2016, 11:42 AM
How long did it take to download?

(I've got to schedule these things carefully... nojoke)

I have not done it yet. Maybe this afternoon. But it should be the same as before. It should take a little more than an hour for me with a 10 Mbit connection.

Disclaimer: Your experience may vary. :joke:

Bob Denman
01-28-2016, 11:43 AM

billybovine
01-28-2016, 11:47 AM
For those that have not done a map update before. If you have a LM model GPS. For example a Zumo 590 or a newer version of the Zumo 660. The map update is free. If you have an older version of the Zumo 660, if you want to update the map you will have to buy the update for it. On your Zumo 660, under the battery is the model number. If it has LM in the model it has lifetime maps.

Lin
01-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Recommend updating Garmin Express first. Version 4.1.13.0 for windows is the current one. Not sure about Mac. To check your version or do an update. Click on the gear symbol and then the "About" tab. The version will be there and the link to update.

FYI

I just checked my Garmin Express for Windows and it updated to version 4.1.16.0

oldguyinTX
01-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks, downloading map update now. Says it will take about 1 1/2 hours.

billybovine
01-28-2016, 02:56 PM
FYI

I just checked my Garmin Express for Windows and it updated to version 4.1.16.0

Well ain't that odd. Updated to the latest and greatest this morning. 4.1.13.0. Then I read your post and checked for updates. New update available. :dontknow::dontknow:

bronzeflex42
01-29-2016, 10:16 AM
With the roads changing so much, it's good to stay updated. nojoke

vided
01-29-2016, 10:20 AM
i did the update this morning.
took 1hr
and my iMac is running 5.01 of garmin express

Bob Denman
01-29-2016, 10:21 AM
:shocked: I'll schedule mine for day's end...
Thanks!

MEP
01-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Thank you.

Cavman
01-29-2016, 05:07 PM
I have a Zumo so I'm guessing I'm out of luck?
Cute critter you have as an avatar. Makes me remember Stumpy.

kngfsh27
01-30-2016, 12:29 PM
I have a Zumo so I'm guessing I'm out of luck?
Cute critter you have as an avatar. Makes me remember Stumpy.
Plug it in and go out on Garmin Express. Mine is updating right now. Allow about 60 minutes for the update.

Bob Denman
01-30-2016, 07:06 PM
I updated mine today... 1.5 hours! :2thumbs:

HayRog
01-30-2016, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. My 590LM took 65 minutes. Way easier than other Garmin updates I've had to do :-)

Edit -- make that 67 minutes, two minutes to update Express :rolleyes:

Mazo EMS2
01-30-2016, 10:10 PM
I run my updater every few months.....takes less time to download each time that way.

Trbayth
01-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Doing mine now.

One heads up: it you have a smallish (or no) SD card installed, it will stop the update and ask you to either insert one > 3GB or pick a set of sub-maps to install. Once you install that card, it's dedicated to the Garmin; the software will warn you that if you remove the card the Garmin will no longer work. I had a spare 32GB card but if you don't you might want to delay installing the new maps until you have one.

Bob Denman
01-31-2016, 10:29 AM
So this means that we'll be freshly "mapped-up" for Missouri; right? :D :2thumbs:

kngfsh27
02-01-2016, 10:26 AM
So this means that we'll be freshly "mapped-up" for Missouri; right? :D :2thumbs:
This past fall I went down into an area of Missouri that I had never traveled. By the end of the first day my Garmin was in the trunk only because selling it on Craigslist is more profitable than throwing it out on the road. I was was directed to turn into the ditch.:banghead: It turned me into 3 private driveways and numerous gravel/dirt/non-maintained roads.:banghead: That night at the motel i went through it, looked for an update. Express said their wasn't any.:dontknow: I got out my map to get through the area. Upon getting out of that area, it started working fine again. Even after another update, I had a couple issues in the car in that area. So, I too am hoping this gets me current. Glad I keep my paper maps with me.

Cruzr Joe
02-01-2016, 11:30 AM
it will update much faster if you use a LAN as opposed to wifi, mine took about 30 minutes with the LAN plugged in

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-01-2016, 11:42 AM
This past fall I went down into an area of Missouri that I had never traveled. By the end of the first day my Garmin was in the trunk only because selling it on Craigslist is more profitable than throwing it out on the road. I was was directed to turn into the ditch.:banghead: It turned me into 3 private driveways and numerous gravel/dirt/non-maintained roads.:banghead: That night at the motel i went through it, looked for an update. Express said their wasn't any.:dontknow: I got out my map to get through the area. Upon getting out of that area, it started working fine again. Even after another update, I had a couple issues in the car in that area. So, I too am hoping this gets me current. Glad I keep my paper maps with me.

:shocked: You must have been picking up the wrong satellites, and it thought that you were in Rhode Island...

AY4B
02-01-2016, 03:22 PM
I updated mine a few weeks ago. I had to buy a storage card cause the Zumo memory was full. Now it wont shut itself off. Could be something in the settings.