PDA

View Full Version : Pop quizz, NO TALKING

vided
01-27-2016, 08:45 PM
http://www.allstateridernews.com/quiz/riding-bad-weather-quiz?cid=EMC-LB-IMC-AllstateRiderNews-160126:Customer

Chupaca
01-27-2016, 08:58 PM
I did well considering it never rains in southern california....Thanks for the quiz...:bowdown:

Cruzr Joe
01-27-2016, 08:59 PM
8 out of 10 right.

Cruzr Joe

oldguyinTX
01-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Got 'em all. What do I win?:yes:

SL Ken
01-27-2016, 11:29 PM
I got them all. Surprising since I'm a relative newbie.

Chupaca
01-27-2016, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=oldguyinCT;1085520]Got 'em all. What do I win?:yes:[/QUOTE

You win this cup...:firstplace:

BilltheDiver
01-27-2016, 11:55 PM
I also got 8 out of 10 and I disagree with the ones I missed! (Guess I don't learn too well)

BajaRon
01-27-2016, 11:55 PM
10 for 10! Where is my Cupie Doll!?

ARtraveler
01-28-2016, 12:23 AM
Thanks for posting the test. 70% here. Time to hit the books again. :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-28-2016, 12:32 AM
I got 9 out of 10. I disagree with this one. I picked the third choice.

Where do you want to keep your motorcycle positioned when riding in strong crosswinds?

On the opposite side of the lane that the wind is coming from
On the same side of the lane that the wind is coming from
In the middle of the lane, no matter where the wind is coming from

It doesn’t matter

Their answer is the second choice, which does make sense until...... Every crosswind I've ever ridden in is gusty, i.e., not steady. Whenever it lets up for a moment you tend to move into the direction the wind is coming from, especially if you are fighting hard to stay straight. If the wind is coming from the right they recommend you ride near the right. But if the wind lets up for a moment you have a tendency to make a sudden slight right turn. If you're close to the right side of the lane when that happens you don't have much room for wandering and could go off the edge. I think the safest place is near the middle of the lane. Then you have margin on both sides for sudden unplanned swerves caused by gusts.

CaptJAM, what do you say? You're a motorcycle safety instructor.

cptjam
01-28-2016, 02:29 AM
The school solution is to keep steady handlebar pressure into the wind, while positioning yourself in the third of the lane into the wind: wind blows left to right, be in the left third of the lane to keep from leaving your lane. The issue is the wind, not the calm. If the wind stops, it is not as abrupt as the wind force.

Cavman
01-28-2016, 02:40 AM
:firstplace: Yea, I got all ten right!

vided
01-28-2016, 06:29 AM
prizes will be available upon receiving the required shipping & handling :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
01-28-2016, 08:08 AM
:opps: 9/10... :gaah:
Got myself tripped-up on how the question was worded; not the answers...
:banghead:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-28-2016, 08:11 AM
7 out of 10, guess i should give up riding now

Omcge
01-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Their answer is the second choice, which does make sense until...... Every crosswind I've ever ridden in is gusty, i.e., not steady. Whenever it lets up for a moment you tend to move into the direction the wind is coming from, especially if you are fighting hard to stay straight. If the wind is coming from the right they recommend you ride near the right. But if the wind lets up for a moment you have a tendency to make a sudden slight right turn. If you're close to the right side of the lane when that happens you don't have much room for wandering and could go off the edge. I think the safest place is near the middle of the lane. Then you have margin on both sides for sudden unplanned swerves caused by gusts.

I agree. It doesn't make sense to not leave room to maneuver on both sides.

Bob Denman
01-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Perhaps a different answer is correct for three wheels; than for two... :dontknow:

Pirate looks at --
01-28-2016, 12:05 PM
10 for 10! Where is my Cupie Doll!?

http://www.artxmart.com/eBay/Dolls/Kewpie/Kewpie_Doll_Baby_Cupie_Vintage_Cameo_Figurine_Rubb er_Original_Japan_Obitsu_Collect_Ornament_Toy_Sony _Angel_Ancestors_Rose_O_Neill_3_inch_01.jpg

Yazz
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
I got 9 out of ten.

I was taught in the MST school to never use your front brake in the rain. I rode my two wheelie that way and never had a problem.

Their answer is use less front brake.

BajaRon
01-28-2016, 04:10 PM
http://www.artxmart.com/eBay/Dolls/Kewpie/Kewpie_Doll_Baby_Cupie_Vintage_Cameo_Figurine_Rubb er_Original_Japan_Obitsu_Collect_Ornament_Toy_Sony _Angel_Ancestors_Rose_O_Neill_3_inch_01.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH! I feel better now! :rolleyes:

BajaRon
01-28-2016, 04:12 PM
I got 9 out of ten.

I was taught in the MST school to never use your front brake in the rain. I rode my two wheelie that way and never had a problem.

Their answer is use less front brake.

You certainly can use your front brake in the rain. But you have to be very careful about it. Some teach never to use it in the rain but I think this is the simple answer and not the best answer. It depends on how much experience you have with the front brake. Going straight ahead is not so bad. But using it in a turn definitely takes more skill than most riders probably possess. It's definitely a judgement call.

Yazz
01-28-2016, 07:51 PM
You certainly can use your front brake in the rain. But you have to be very careful about it. Some teach never to use it in the rain but I think this is the simple answer and not the best answer. It depends on how much experience you have with the front brake. Going straight ahead is not so bad. But using it in a turn definitely takes more skill than most riders probably possess. It's definitely a judgement call.

True, but this was a beginner course. It was taken after my first biff.
You have a few more years of riding two-wheelies under your belt than I have... :doorag:

BajaRon
01-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Text book on 2 wheels is to never ride in the middle of the lane. That is where all the debris ends up settling. From sand to anything that has fallen off a car or truck. Just not a good place to be. They divide the road into 3 sections. Left of center, Right of center and center. I agree that in gusty situations it can be difficult. But you're usually going to be moved further by the gust than by the random and relative calm. So of the 3 choices of 1) running head on into oncoming traffic, 2) running in the debris patch where traction and obstacles are most likely, and 3) dealing with moving farther to the left than to the right. They are giving you the book answer of staying in the right 3rd of the road. But as always. You have to apply skill, experience and common sense to these guidelines.

Most of this information needs to be modified when applied to the Spyder.

BajaRon
01-28-2016, 11:45 PM
True, but this was a beginner course. It was taken after my first biff.
You have a few more years of riding two-wheelies under your belt than I have... :doorag:

I agree. Everyone needs to ride within their skill level And there is no such thing a perfect rider. I guess I just disagree with people who are dogmatic about these kinds of things (not speaking of you). But some will tell you never do this and always do that. When always and never are not necessarily the best way to go. It depends on a number of factors, as you point out.