PDA

View Full Version : Analog Gauges

manxman
01-27-2016, 09:25 AM
I have noticed that many are removing the gauges on their machines. Are they defective or inaccurate . I would like to have a set as the center console bars are to hard for me to see. Any out there for sale ?............

Peter Aawen
01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Most who remove them do so because the digital gauges in the centre display are significantly more accurate (ie they have a vague resemblance to accuracy that the analogue gauges just don't get anywhere near!) and they are easier to see/read at a glance.... :shocked:

It sounds like trying the BRP OEM Analogue gauges on the basis of them being easier to see/read might not be such a great idea!! But if you feel you have difficulties with the OEM Digital gauges anyway, then maybe you should try better quality A/mkt analogue gauges instead, rather than the OEM Analogue units that already have a poor track record in that regard?! :thumbup:

Good Luck. ;)

Bob Denman
01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
I have noticed that many are removing the gauges on their machines. Are they defective or inaccurate . I would like to have a set as the center console bars are to hard for me to see. Any out there for sale ?............

A lot might depend on what year bike you have... and what gauges you get for it. :thumbup:
On my 2010 RT; the fuel gauge was about as accurate as a simple W.A.G. nojoke
But on my 2014; it's the most accurate gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle!
The older gauges were also prone to "bouncing"... The needles would bob up and down, and be impossible to read. :shocked:
The new ones are rock-solid! :yes:

SpyderAnn01
01-27-2016, 10:50 AM
I also have found that the gauges on my 2014 RT are much more accurate then the ones on either my 2010 or 2013 were. It isn't hard to turn off the analog gauges if you want to see how it looks. Just remove the 4 torx screws around the display then unplug the analogs (you have to unplug both for it to work). If you like the stacked bar graphs better than the analog then you can decide what to replace your analogs with. There are many options to choose from.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-27-2016, 11:24 AM
A lot might depend on what year bike you have... and what gauges you get for it. :thumbup:
On my 2010 RT; the fuel gauge was about as accurate as a simple W.A.G. nojoke
But on my 2014; it's the most accurate gauge that I've had in ANY vehicle!
The older gauges were also prone to "bouncing"... The needles would bob up and down, and be impossible to read. :shocked:
The new ones are rock-solid! :yes:
One of the techs at the Lamonster Garage, during Lamonts BBQ in 2014, said that there had been some sort of electromagnetic interference with the gauges that caused the gauges to not function correctly. The issue was finally resolved with the 2014 RTs. I don't know if the solution involved wiring changes on the bike, or a redesign of the gauges, i.e., I don't know if the 2014 gauges would be accurate on an older bike.

Bob Denman
01-27-2016, 11:31 AM
:dontknow: All that I can tell you, is that the "Low Fuel" warning light now comes on, when I can put 5.5 gallons in the tank...
This allows me to travel over 200 miles between fuel-stops. My 2010's fuel gauge wasn't anywhere near that confidence-inspiring!

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2016, 11:31 AM
....Just a thought....Is the problem with the ...GAUGE...or .....the SENDER....., because if it's really the sender than changing the gauge won't make a difference.............Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Good point! But I don't know if the O.P. identified the year of the bike in question... :dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-27-2016, 02:06 PM
....Just a thought....Is the problem with the ...GAUGE...or .....the SENDER....., because if it's really the sender than changing the gauge won't make a difference.............Mike :thumbup:
What the tech said was there was some kind of magnetic interference with the gauge. The sender wouldn't be the problem because the digital readouts worked good and they get the signal from the same source.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2016, 04:43 PM
What the tech said was there was some kind of magnetic interference with the gauge. The sender wouldn't be the problem because the digital readouts worked good and they get the signal from the same source.
..........That makes sense :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:...........Thanks,. Mike