PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2011 rs a good model

GIMP410
01-26-2016, 02:33 PM
I realize that each person is different and to each their own. I would really like an F3 but I just don't have the money. I've seen a few RS models for sale and was wondering if people like them. Are they safe on the legs (example not hot enough to burn)?Also being a T8 para my core isn't that great along with a left arm that's about 6 inches shorter are there aftermarket handlebars that pull back for better positioning. I know of the ST and RT models have the tri axis bars. Any help would be welcome. I'm still kind of new to this forum so forgive me if I sound a bit loquacious. Thanks

ARtraveler
01-26-2016, 03:02 PM
I don't have the exact answer you are looking for. Have owned two RS, a 2008 and a 2009. The RS is the "most" crotch rocket type of position of all the models offered. At the time, they did have handle bar "risers." The OEM ones were about 1 1/2 inches--not good for me. My dealer constructed some special 3 inch versions and I had them on both my RS's. They helped. There was no set back on these--so that may be where you run into a bit of a problem.

I know there is a better answer lurking out there, so hang on.

:welcome:

Chupaca
01-26-2016, 05:37 PM
As you said it is according to each. I love the GS/RS series and currently have a 2012. They are great machines and have had few issues through the years. They make a variety of risers for them especially the early models and you would have no problem finding one to suit you. :thumbup:

boomerkc
01-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Here are what you're looking for. Had them on my '08 RS and they worked perfectly. Neighbor helped me install since he had the bar cutter and it took approx 1 hr. Only thing you need to check is whether the RS you purchase already has the BRP 1 1/2" riser installed. If it does (like mine did) get the shorter riser. If it doesn't, you can get the longer riser. These allow you to rotate towards you so you can find the most comfortable position for your reach. Good luck and go for it, you won't regret purchasing a Spyder. In fact, you'll be asking yourself why you waited so long.

Go to page 36, lower right

http://www.customdynamics.com/instructions/2012%20CD%20Catalog%204%20Web.pdf

griffontamer
01-27-2016, 02:42 AM
I love my 2010 RS-S, and I love my F3-S. Honestly, if I had to give up the F3, I would enjoy the heck out of the RSs anyway (althought I am currently trying to sell the RSS due to financial issues; can't justify having a spare bike right now). You can replace the RS handlebars with RT handlebars (from what other owners have told me and they've done it) for a much more upright position.

But... since you'd love to have the F3 (quoting your words), take a look at left over 2015's. You can pick one up for not much more than a nice RS. Check ebay and craigslist. I know you are on the other end of the country, but we have brand new F3S semi-auto here in Seattle for under 17k. Yes, there's freight, setup and tax and that adds up to another few thousand but take a look on ebay, I saw a new F3 the other day somewhere a bit closer to you for under 17k including freight and setup, and you can also make an offer for less if you can't afford their asking price.

Just my 2 cents worth! :D Whatever machine you get, enjoy! They are both great! :D

CarolinaSpyderRyder
01-27-2016, 05:05 AM
I love my RSS. It's a 2014. I have Cerebral Palsy, I've put over 9000 miles on it in the last 9 months. :)

Mike Ard
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
I tried about 5 different handle bar risers and bars on my 2010 RS till I settled on 9 inch bars. You can get away with 7 inch without changing throttle cables but not on the 9's. It was a real pain to get the correct cables but worth it once done. This may not be an issue on newer RS models that have throttle by wire.

i found the f3 to feel more stable than the RS mainly due to the seating position which is about 3 inches lower so there is less force trying to push you off to the outside in corners. Also the f3 is easier to adjust (handle bars, foot pegs etc...) for different size riders.

for me the f3 was just the ticket, but if you like the sport bike rider position an RS model could be just what you are looking for.

GIMP410
01-30-2016, 11:29 PM
Has anyone tried a seat such as corbin that's dished out a bit to help keep you from the feeling of being "thrown" off. I understand that the F3 is lower and the seat holds you in more and you can't make a seat like it for the RS because of the tank under it. Can one be made to fit more "in" (for lack of a better word). The main reason I'm asking is I found a clean '11 RS for $9000