PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of BIG bikes...

Lamonster
01-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Just found an old article from a magazine but I don't even remember what magazine it was but it brought back some good memories.

LaMonster’s Bio-Hazard M109R Suzuki

A fairly reasonable man I’ve always considered the Suzuki M109R to be just a little over the top. I mean the things are so big, so fast and so in your face that owning one, in even in bone stock trim, marks you as a man (or woman for that matter), that must simply enjoy wretched excess for it own sake.

Lamont ”Lamonster” Bryden is for the most part also a fairly reasonable type of guy. As one of the partners/designers at Direct Line Parts, he’s got a normal enough day job, and when he’s not building awarding winning show bikes, more than one of which has graced these very pages, he apparently enjoys a modest enough lifestyle. I mean you hardly ever read much about him in the Tattler or National Enquirer.

But, and I say this with all due respect, I think he’s just, maybe a half bubble off plumb. See Lamont’s goal is to set the worlds speed record on his M109R. Under normal circumstances that doesn’t make him an unreasonable man; lot’s of us worship at the altar of speed, myself included. But what makes Lamont’s quest just a little bit odd, at least to my way of thinking, is that he plans to do it towing a trailer. Now whether a thing is reasonable or not is always open to interpretation. So before we pass judgment let’s look at the hardware, and see if it’s up to the task.

His 2006 M109R Suzuki, appropriately named “Bio-Hazard,” cause as the owner put it “this thing can hurt you” certainly seems capable enough. The 109 which is no slouch as delivered has been upgraded with a BigAir Kit from Cycle House, a 40 hp dry shot nitrous system and a “Morpher” pipe custom built by the Lamonster himself using a modified Roadburner header and a 5” V-Rod SuperTrapp “muffler.”

Tying the suck, squeeze, bang and blow cycles together is a Power Commander PC –3 with a custom map that took Lamont and his buddy Joe from C&C Thunder 26 runs and a full day at the dyno to put it together. Under normal conditions the bike behaves like any other 109, at least any other really trick one that’s used as a daily driver. But when the throttle opening hits 80% the map releases the floodgates and provides enough fuel to accommodate the 40hp nitrous shot.

To arm the bottles Lamont uses the stock headlight-passing switch and a toggle. When the system is off-line the switch behaves normally and flashes the passing the light. When it’s go time, throwing the toggle energizes the NOS circuit, and the passing switch begins to live up to its name. With the system armed flashing the passing light switch injects the laughing gas and you’ve got an instant, extra 40 hp at your disposal. Assuming you’ve got traction, which is never a safe bet when your bike is making 165.7 horsepower and 159.3 lbs-ft of torque at the rear wheel, the Bio-Hazard is cleared for take off.

By the way, if you think that’s a lethal set up, (and I do), Lamont mentioned that his buddy has a similar set up that makes 200hp, which must be positively psychotic. A set of MTC heavy-duty clutch springs were installed to get a grip on the clutch, and constitute the only other engine mods, which all things considered is quite a comment on the bullet proof nature of the big zook.

To get the power to the ground, and hold the bike off it, Lamont had Brown County Customs whittle up a set of wheels that incorporate the universal 3D biohazard symbol, after all people must be warned. The rear is phat-fat 18”X10” that accommodates a 280 section tire, and yeah, it does fit inside the stock swing arm. The front is a standard sized 18”X 3.5” cut to match the rear. I didn’t think to ask him how it handles with the oversize sneaker, but since he regularly rides the thing down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Deals Gap, and returns in one piece I’d have to think it handles decently.

Of course stopping a bike and rider that weigh over 800 pounds and is capable of gravity escaping velocity requires some pretty hefty brakes. Up front there’s a set of Galfer Wave rotors, gripped by EBC sintered brake pads and backed up by stainless steel lines. Since the stock rear brake was more than up to the task, it was kept intact, the only upgrade being the aforementioned EBC pads.

Triple digit horsepower and speed doesn’t mean a whole lot if the bike can’t be ridden for tripe digit mileages. To that end a Kewlmetal Bleed Feed Air Ride makes long days in the saddle more comfortable, although I have to ask myself how long can the ride last when you can hit a 150 or better accelerating onto the freeway? The air ride also allows Lamont to adjust his ride height on the fly when he’s towing or carrying a passenger. A Suzuki Gel seat, recovered in real black Ostrich skin, reduces bun burn, and looks awesome doing it.

By the way, if you’re wondering how comfortable the bike is, consider this; the bike was acquired in April of 2006. The build, which included two full paint jobs, (okay so the guys a perfectionist, that doesn’t make him unreasonable) took roughly 5-months of downtime.

In the ensuing 15 months Lamont has managed to rack up over 23,000 miles riding the bike, among every other place you can think of, to both Sturgis and the Daytona Biketoberfest (where it took best in show for custom metric at the Rat’s Hole) so yeah, it’s comfortable enough.

To help navigate all those miles, and while them away, there’s a Lowrance Iway 600 GPS, with MP3 player and a Roady2 XM Radio custom mounted to the VTX drag bars, which were adapted to fit the 109.

The obligatory bling, after all this is a bike meant to attract attention in every way, was added in dollops. Cycle House supplied the custom levers, foot peg extensions and kickstand, along with the 2” over mirror arms, which allow the use of the stock mirror heads plus the Down Under rear caliper hanger, front brake reservoir cover and the stainless steel license plate bracket. Kuryakyn Silver Bullet lights, and driver foot pegs add a dash more flash, as do the chrome stock foot controls.

BD’s Cycles Laid on the awesome “bionic” paint, which is complimented nicely by the Kewlmetal black fat fork tubes, and the aforementioned flash, not to mention the ostrich skin covered lower radiator shroud. BD’s also shot the Bushtec trailer to match.

Ah yes, the trailer, you thought we’d forgotten that didn’t you? The trailer is your standard Bushtec Quantum GL with a custom hitch and while it may seem a bit out of place you have to bear two things in mind. First the Bio-Hazard 109, trick as it may be has literally zero in the way of storage space. Two, Lamont is most definitely a guy that likes to go places, and a traveling man needs his gear, right? So if it helps, think of the trailer as a really big, detachable travel trunk.

So about that land speed record? Officially the record is currently 137.9 miles per hour. Lamont’s unofficial record, as recorded by his GPS is a dead on 152 mph, and that happened “accidentally” when he was accelerating onto the highway on his way to Myrtle Beach SC. The plan is to ride the 109 and trailer out to Maxton, NC for next year’s speed trials, set the record and then ride home. Can he do it? A reasonable man wouldn’t bet against it.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/12440507_1020673917975879_406578429128121796_o.jpg

Bob Denman
01-22-2016, 08:48 AM
:clap: It was a bit tough to read, as the post came out much wider than my 21" monitor could handle... nojoke
Did you get the record? :dontknow:

blacklightning
01-22-2016, 08:52 AM
The M109 will always be one of my favorite bikes. I have owned an 06 & 07. Next fall I plan on picking up another 2 wheeler, and the M109 is still at the top of the list. At 6'2", it fits me in every way. I first got acquainted with Lamont on the M109 site, then the F6b site, and then the Spyderlovers site. after 9 years of being on sites together and owning the same bikes, I finally got to meet him in person last June. To top it off, he let me ride his F3 after telling him about my experience with my local dealer.
So, I guess I should ask, what will we be getting next:D

clinard
01-23-2016, 01:43 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123058&stc=1