PDA

View Full Version : Bob T.oil

Bob T.
01-21-2016, 01:19 PM
I just changed oil & filter, took it for a drive Checked the oil and it was over full. I put 4.1 QTs in as the manual says and let it set over night before I checked it. This happened before so I changed it again thinking I put to much oil in. I have a 2011 RT-SM and I've always changed the oil and never had this happen before. Does anyone have any comments on this

Bob Denman
01-21-2016, 01:24 PM
This will sound like a stupid question...:opps:

Did you warm the engine up fully, and follow the directions exactly as they are written down in your manual?

I'm sorry to ask that, but we can't take anything for granted... :D

ralph12345678910
01-21-2016, 01:26 PM
are you sure you are checking it as the book says, I checked mine as I do in my automobile and it will read overfull each tyme, just a thought

Chupaca
01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Once drained and filters and o-rings etc are reinstalled, I add about 3 qts of oil and then start her up. Make sure oil light goes out and let her run till she is at running temp or the fan kicks in. Then check oil level and add a little at a time till you are close but not at or over full. Then your set till the next check 500 miles down the road. On these engines you do have to keep topping off...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
01-21-2016, 02:15 PM
They have you covered. :yes::yes:

finless
01-21-2016, 04:40 PM
I just did mine again Sunday on my 2011 RT SM5.

The instructions say to add 3.5 qts, start it as Chupaca said. Then wait for it to come fully to temp and check it and add as needed.

After doing it this way and always having to add a little over 4 qts..... I now just put in 4 qts, start it, let it come to temp fully, then add a little out of the 5th quart.

If you are getting over filled at 4, then possibly your not getting it drained of old oil fully?
Is your Spyder level etc?

Bob

happyspyder2039
01-21-2016, 09:19 PM
I just changed oil & filter, took it for a drive Checked the oil and it was over full. I put 4.1 QTs in as the manual says and let it set over night before I checked it. This happened before so I changed it again thinking I put to much oil in. I have a 2011 RT-SM and I've always changed the oil and never had this happen before. Does anyone have any comments on thisare you draining the oil out of the canister where you add the oil in? it will hold a qt or more its self there by reading over full when complete

finless
01-22-2016, 10:43 AM
are you draining the oil out of the canister where you add the oil in? it will hold a qt or more its self there by reading over full when complete

Good point! There are two drain plugs.
The sump which holds a lot and the one on the bottom of the engine which holds about a quart.

Bob