PDA

View Full Version : Kumho front tire psi

OscarV
01-20-2016, 01:31 PM
I just replaced the stock front tires with Kumho's. For those of you that have done the same, what psi are you running on the tires?

Thanks.

Cruzr Joe
01-20-2016, 01:35 PM
I just replaced the stock front tires with Kumho's. For those of you that have done the same, what psi are you running on the tires?

Thanks.

This has been bantered around by many on many occasions...................... I put 18 lbs in my front tires and 28 in my rear tire. this is a generally good setting, you may want to tweak your front tires one or two lbs either way to suit your own desires.

Cruzr Joe

STELLING MAN
01-20-2016, 01:39 PM
I run 20# In the front and 30# In the back, that's what the dealer recommended when I bought the :f_spider::thumbup:, It works good for me..

Cruzr Joe
01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
As i said you will find many opinions, mine was just a middle of the road setting based on tire wear and my comfort zone.

Cruzr joe

ARtraveler
01-20-2016, 01:58 PM
This has been bantered around by many on many occasions...................... I put 18 lbs in my front tires and 28 in my rear tire. this is a generally good setting, you may want to tweak your front tires one or two lbs either way to suit your own desires.

Cruzr Joe

:agree: x 2

STELLING MAN
01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
As Cruzr Joe suggested, you will have to play around with your tire pressure to fit your :spyder:and your riding style..

Bob Denman
01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
For a 2015 RT... I'd start at 20 psi, and tinker around from there. :thumbup:
I've ended up liking 20 psi up front, in my 2014 RT Limited just fine.
...And 25 psi out back; in a Kumho!

robmorg
01-20-2016, 03:10 PM
:agree: My numbers are very similar. 18 psi in the front seems to be the best compromise between comfort and wear for me - I'm still on the OEM tires in front. I'm running 25 psi with a Yokohama s-Drive on the rear, but watching the tread wear to see if I should put in a little more air in that one.

As a general rule auto tires will ride better and last longer with a little more air than the OEM Kendra's, because of the stronger sidewalls. However, the "correct" amount for the front is variable depending on how you feel about the compromise between handling and wear, whether or not you have the OEM shocks, or shocks with adjustable spring pre-loads, how heavily weighted your Spyder is, etc. etc. Joe is correct... You gotta experiment and do what is best for your unique situation.

Bob Denman
01-20-2016, 03:26 PM
This is a Jeep; but it works for our Spyders also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGsavK0Uwc&feature=player_detailpage

Cruzr Joe
01-20-2016, 03:43 PM
All good and spot on advice so far.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
01-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Joe,
Are you gonna tell him about nitrogen? :shocked:

Cruzr Joe
01-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Joe,
Are you gonna tell him about nitrogen? :shocked:

Nope, and don't tell him where you hid the bottle of whiskey either.

Cruzr Joe

Big Arm
01-20-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks.

So, since Cruzr Joe, Bob Denman, akspyderman, robmorg and STELLING MAN all seem to be using the Kumho's on their fronts, which you specifically asked for, I guess you got your answer. :yes:

nslowmotion
01-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Whisky, what whisky, where is the whisky?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::ch eers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bob Denman
01-20-2016, 05:57 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122906&stc=1

OscarV
01-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks to all.

Mike4143
03-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Hey guys I have a question for you. I just had Baja Ron sway bar installed along with Fox adjustable shocks and a new rear Kumho tire with Laser alignment at 14,000 mi. I am finding the
bike to be more squirrely riding in a straight line but great in the corners, having more trouble staying in one place. Have you got any reason why it more sensitive now?
I have a 2015 RT Limited and still have the original Kedas on the front. I find it harder to keep in a straight line.

Thanks

Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Hey guys I have a question for you. I just had Baja Ron sway bar installed along with Fox adjustable shocks and a new rear Kumho tire with Laser alignment at 14,000 mi. I am finding the
bike to be more squirrely riding in a straight line but great in the corners, having more trouble staying in one place. Have you got any reason why it more sensitive now?
I have a 2015 RT Limited and still have the original Kedas on the front. I find it harder to keep in a straight line.

Thanks

Mike
.....What is the PSI in the front tires ?????............. in the rear ?????............Mike :bbq:

bigbadbrucie
03-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Nope, and don't tell him where you hid the bottle of whiskey either.

Cruzr Joe
Hell, I've been doing it wrong. I have Root Beer Schnapps. Makes me think of A & W whenever I open the flask.

2dogs
03-09-2016, 03:06 PM
This is a Jeep; but it works for our Spyders also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGsavK0Uwc&feature=player_detailpage

I have an 01 Ford F350 diesel 4X4 with a flat bed on the rear in place of the factory bed (both beds weighed approx. the same), and a winch/brush guard mounted on the front. I run standard OEM size Michelin tires. I did the same chalk test and found that if I run 60/65 psi in the front and 50/55 in the rear, all 4 tires wear evenly. I keep the truck aligned and I rotate the tires every 5k and I have no cupping or center tread wear out. With the same chalk test on my 14 RTS SE6 Spyder I run 18/20 psi in the front and 27/29 in rear. I've had it laser aligned and have Ron's sway bar on the front with a rubber donut spring spacer in each shock spring, and all three tires have flat even tread wear. The front tires are kenda OEM and the rear is a kumho replacement for that crappy OEM kenda.

Mike4143
03-11-2016, 10:29 AM
.....What is the PSI in the front tires ?????............. in the rear ?????............Mike :bbq:

I am running 30lbs. in the rear and 20lbs. in the fronts. I talked to Baja Ron and he seems to think the alignment was done wrong. The dealer says the alignment was done right.
The shocks are evenly adjusted so I don't know where the problem is.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-11-2016, 11:04 AM
I am running 30lbs. in the rear and 20lbs. in the fronts. I talked to Baja Ron and he seems to think the alignment was done wrong. The dealer says the alignment was done right.
Those tire pressures shouldn't be causing any issues ( thanks for the reply ) Not all dealers have/use the Rolo/Outlaw Lazer alignment system, most align using the BRP method which is flawed ( that's why most are mis-aligned from the Factory ! )........You can find out --- www.spyder comfort.com --- right side list of dealers , see if your dealer is there.....................I agree with Ron.......Mike :bbq:

cyclekid58
03-11-2016, 11:10 AM

How does your dealer do alignments, most don't have the Rolo laser system that Squared Away and others doing laser have, I would have it checked by one of those folks and usually they won't charge if no changes are needed, I noticed mine gets a little squirrley if air pressure gets low, I run 20 in the fronts and tracks true, they got down to 17 once after sitting the winter and weren't checked and I noticed it right away, brought back to 20 and problem went away. If air pressure is up, then have it checked by someone with the true laser system, most dealers adjust to what their specs show and more often as not, when checked by laser its off.

Mike4143
03-12-2016, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1100619].....What is the PSI in the front tires ?????............. in the rear ?????............Mike :bbq:[/QUOTE I am running 30lbs. in the rear and 20lbs. in the front
I talked to Baja Ron and he thinks it could be a bad laser alignment, the dealer said the alignment is good. Also I thought the Kumho on the back would last longer than the Kenda (14,000)
miles. From what I am seeing on the forum there are getting about the same mileage out of them. If so what's the sense in going to the Kumho's? ]

GearHd
03-12-2016, 09:10 AM
You got a rare Kenda because ours only lasted 4200 miles.

And of course the dealer that did the alignment is going to say it's good.

Chupaca
03-12-2016, 10:01 AM
If I were to use any car tire on the front, I would use just enough to keep the wear even but low enough to compensate for the stiffer sidewalls on the car tires. The choices are individual to the tire, model spyder and ryding style/location. Being the odd man out with good were out of the Kenda will stick with them...:thumbup:

ulflyer
03-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Oscar: what size Kumho's are you running? And did you have
any difficulty fitting them under the fenders of your '15 Rt?

Michael82009
03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
How does your dealer do alignments, most don't have the Rolo laser system that Squared Away and others doing laser have, I would have it checked by one of those folks and usually they won't charge if no changes are needed, I noticed mine gets a little squirrley if air pressure gets low, I run 20 in the fronts and tracks true, they got down to 17 once after sitting the winter and weren't checked and I noticed it right away, brought back to 20 and problem went away. If air pressure is up, then have it checked by someone with the true laser system, most dealers adjust to what their specs show and more often as not, when checked by laser its off.
The specs the dealer uses are wrong?? How do you know if the dealer is doing it right? How is the lazer different. Are there specs to request from the guy doing the alignment?

Michael82009
03-21-2016, 06:49 PM

I have 175/55/15 on my 14 rt land they are great. Tread contact is actually about 2" wider. The Kendra tires taper in to to tread from firewall

Michael82009
03-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Thanks.

Best way is to chalk them

OscarV
03-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Kumho KH16 155/60R15 74T

No issues with them fitting in the fender.