PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RT - BRP windshield vent.

RTL1330
01-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy just the complete adjustable vent from BRP and if so a part number for a complete vent kit, inside / outer and hardware.
I ordered the 25 inch tall windshield for my 2014 RT with that vent. But after I got it we discovered the windshield was 2 full inches narrower at widest spot than my stock one.
So I sent it back.
I like the look of BRP vent so I want to get a tall / wide F4 touring windshield and put BRP vent in it.
thanks.

stevedfive
01-16-2016, 11:50 PM
I asked my dealer a few months ago and they told me there is no separate part number for the vent. The parts tech said if any part of the vent breaks you have to order a new vented windshield.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-17-2016, 12:34 AM
.....I don't know the EXACT size of the BRP one, but a lot of people use the one that fits the Honda Gold Wings, I actually have one I can sell......Mike :thumbup:

4 MARIE
01-17-2016, 08:38 AM
After reading on this site for quite a while, it seems that Most,
if not all, seem to Prefer the Goldwing style vent that F4 sells
installed on their shield.

RTL1330
01-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks gang. It bothers me that you buy a $450.00 windshield from BRP or any other supplier and say a rock or bird cracks your vent. They won't sell you just the vent to fix it sucks big time . I had GW vent in WS on my Goldwing trike. I just like the chrome look of the BRP one on my RT limited. Looks like I'll deal with Don on a F4 custom wide and get the vent too.
Thanks, Terry.

robmorg
01-17-2016, 05:26 PM
After reading on this site for quite a while, it seems that Most,
if not all, seem to Prefer the Goldwing style vent that F4 sells
installed on their shield.
:agree:
I have the Honda one on my windshield and like it VERY much. :thumbup: Pictures here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?70861-Rob-s-Mods-amp-Farkles&p=1035193&viewfull=1#post1035193).

SpyderAnn01
01-17-2016, 05:34 PM
You will be much happier with the Goldwing vent as it is adjustable in more than one direction where the BRP one isn't. I had the BRP one and it is one option that I did not buy for my 2014. I find that the adjustable side vents offer more air flow than the windshield did.

HayRog
05-28-2016, 06:48 PM
:agree:
I have the Honda one on my windshield and like it VERY much. :thumbup: Pictures here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?70861-Rob-s-Mods-amp-Farkles&p=1035193&viewfull=1#post1035193).

Rob,
Checked out your pics (windshield vent) and they look good.
But, a question to ya'll on the forum -------------

I'm considering the vent option myself but wanted to do the install of the vent myself, into the shield of my 2015 RT-L.
There are many places on-line to buy the vent alone (e-bay, Wingstuff, m/cycle superstore, etc) and there appears to be a couple of different applications for different year Goldwings.
The contour of the shield, I know, has to be factored in.
Can anyone help me out with a part number ?
Has anyone done this mod themselves, and what part did you buy?
Any help appreciated, thanks :-)

stevedfive
05-28-2016, 07:26 PM
I installed a BRP adjustable vent from a 2013 BRP windshield into my 2010 windshield. I bought the supposedly cracked windshield for $50. Took the vent off, placed the windshield on my old one and traced the outline. Used a variable speed jigsaw with a Plexiglas blade and cut it out. The 13' wasn't cracked and it rubbed right out.

HayRog
05-29-2016, 11:00 AM
I installed a BRP adjustable vent from a 2013 BRP windshield into my 2010 windshield. I bought the supposedly cracked windshield for $50. Took the vent off, placed the windshield on my old one and traced the outline. Used a variable speed jigsaw with a Plexiglas blade and cut it out. The 13' wasn't cracked and it rubbed right out.

I don't see an adjustable vent in your pic.... ^^^^
Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for :helpsmilie:

stevedfive
05-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Here's a pic with the vent open.

robmorg
05-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Rob,
Checked out your pics (windshield vent) and they look good.
But, a question to ya'll on the forum -------------

I'm considering the vent option myself but wanted to do the install of the vent myself, into the shield of my 2015 RT-L.
There are many places on-line to buy the vent alone (e-bay, Wingstuff, m/cycle superstore, etc) and there appears to be a couple of different applications for different year Goldwings.
The contour of the shield, I know, has to be factored in.
Can anyone help me out with a part number ?
Has anyone done this mod themselves, and what part did you buy?
Any help appreciated, thanks :-)
The one I have is the standard Honda GL 1800 ven (http://wingstuff.com/products/3916-factory-oem-windshield-air-vent)t.

I'm fairly sure this would fit the stock RT windshield, but cannot say with absolute certainty, as I have the F4 anti-scratch windshield installed on my RT. The vent has an inside and an outside section that fasten together around the hole that you cut. Apparently, it does NOT come with a template for the hole, according to the online reviews, which seems a little odd to me.

Not to discourage the DIY'ers, but the F4 windshield is well worth the money, IMO. It is sturdier than stock, is made from an anti-scratch material, and covers the two bottom holes in the OEM windshield that draw dirt in where you cannot clean it. And, you can get it with this Honda vent already installed.
http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/004/405/original.png?1393028204

HayRog
05-29-2016, 12:36 PM
@ Steve,
Thanks Sir. I imagined a different vent system. That vent really disappears in the closed position !!

@ Rob,
Thanks also. I'll be ordering that vent and installing it soon. Tried to buy one locally from two Honda dealers so I could do a visual on fit to the stock shield- - - they don't stock them! Have to order it through their ShowChrome book.

Hmmm --(thinking - :() maybe I should advertise for a used 2014/15 OEM shield as a "back-up"

robmorg
05-29-2016, 06:46 PM
@ Steve,
Thanks Sir. I imagined a different vent system. That vent really disappears in the closed position !!

@ Rob,
Thanks also. I'll be ordering that vent and installing it soon. Tried to buy one locally from two Honda dealers so I could do a visual on fit to the stock shield- - - they don't stock them! Have to order it through their ShowChrome book.

Hmmm --(thinking - :() maybe I should advertise for a used 2014/15 OEM shield as a "back-up"

If you find you need another stock windshield, let me know. I have the one from my 2013 RTL - they're all the same windshield. I got my F4 installed at Spyderquest, so they shipped my original back to me and it's still all packaged up ready to ship somewhere else. I'll let it go for a very fair price, plus whatever the shipping cost is. You shouldn't have a problem, however.

Here is a template and instructions you may be able to get from goldwingdocs.com (http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6578). I see it also shows the part number, so you can double check that against the vent that you receive.

http://goldwingdocs.com/images/HowTo/Windshield_Vent/Windshield_Vent_04.jpg

HayRog
05-30-2016, 11:10 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Great info Rob :thumbup: Thanks so much.
I'll keep you in mind on the 2013 windshield :-) If I need it ....
It will be a companion to the 3 other shields I have as "back-up" for other bikes I've owned :D

HayRog
06-05-2016, 03:15 PM
:yes: Done !!
Goldwing vent installed. No time to test it yet but will do asap.

I downloaded and printed a template from big bike parts dot com then transferred that from paper to a piece of flexible card.
Cut it out and made a few minor alterations to shape and size and test fit the vent -- ok so far.

Time for a "test cut"
Dug out and old windshield from an FJR1300 , taped the template over and commenced to drill, cut and smooth. Half inch drill bit and Jig Saw with a blade for Plexiglas. The contour was more aggressive the the Spyder shield so took that into consideration.

Here we go then !! Nothing ventured, nothing gained (who said that?)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131467&stc=1

Removed the Spyder shield and "had at it" --- 45 minutes later - one newly vented shield :D:D

I had to sit it a little higher than I originally wanted to because of the contour at the lower part of the shield, but, I'm happy enough with the result. F-4 shields must be flatter than the stocker ?? -- Sat on the bike and eyed it up for ---- whatever you eye up for -- and seeing as I don't ever anticipate raising the shield at all ( I don't like looking through shields) we'll be OK :-))

Thank you all for the posts and links. Great forum :D FJR1300 shield died for a worthy cause. ;-)

robmorg
06-05-2016, 11:16 PM
:congrats: Looks good. :thumbup:

HayRog
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks Rob :D

Anyone wanting to do this, it's pretty easy... as long as you don't rush it.
FYI though .... I downloaded 3 templates from different web sites and the only one that came close in size was from bigbikeparts.com

And the lower down the OEM shield you try to install, the more the shield falls away to each side. At the position I originally went for, a straight edge placed across the shield showed the contour fall away a half inch each side. Way too much for the vent to "bend"