PDA

View Full Version : Advice for son's bike

tnfleming
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a 17 year old son who wants a two-wheeled bike instead of spyder. He says spyder not as fun to ride but he doesn't know because he never rode one. I'm scared of two-wheeler and i doubt there's much difference in enjoyment. Can some of you experienced riders weigh in? Thanks in advance.

FANG
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm not a real experienced ryder but I can vouch for the great amount of fun I have ryding my :ani29: and what I really like is not having to balance a 1000 lb two wheeler at a light. No way the wife would have riden with me on a bike but we love to ryde 2 up on the :spyder2:. Wouldn't want any other ryde. :clap:

bjt
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
He wants some type of cafe racer, right? :sour:

Smylinacha
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
An MSF course should be the first step. After that either machine is only as safe as the operator at the controls. As for me, I don't find one to be less safe than the other.....

:agree:MSF will teach him how to ride safe.:2thumbs:

ataDude
02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I have a 17 year old son who wants a two-wheeled bike instead of spyder. He says spyder not as fun to ride but he doesn't know because he never rode one. I'm scared of two-wheeler and i doubt there's much difference in enjoyment. Can some of you experienced riders weigh in? Thanks in advance.
Here's the best I can do ... and this is just one set:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=435

Roaddog2
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
:agree:MSF will teach him how to ride safe.:2thumbs:What did it teach you:clap:

Smylinacha
02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
What did it teach you:clap:

Taught me not to ride behind you

Roaddog2
02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Taught me not to ride behind youhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/king-033.gif

beerman
02-10-2009, 12:30 AM
I would have a hard time putting a 17yr old on either. Not to say that some could not handle it but most are not mature enough or have enough experience. If you do remember safety first, get the safety course, the right size bike to match his experience and size and a HELMET. This comes from a 19 year veteran in the fire service. Good Luck

dryheat
02-10-2009, 12:51 AM

I tell people the Spyder is about 90% as fun as a 2 wheeler, and about 50% the risk. That said... if he still insists on a 2 wheels, avoid anything remotely resembling a sport bike. 17 year-olds aren't known for their self control, and if it looks like a racer, he will treat it as such. Instead I'd steer him towards an on-off enduro like the XL-650 or Wee-Strom.

Star Cruiser
02-10-2009, 03:12 AM
let him try the MSF Course. I personally think a Spyder is too much power for a first "bike". I know I will hear back on that one! A smaller cruiser type (Shadow 750 or similar) would be my choice. Less than half the power of the Spyder. Crotch Rockets are a bit to quick as well IMO for a new rider, but that is whom usually buys them. I am sure he can learn, but i hope that he at least has some road sense that he picked up driving acar for a year or two before getting a bike. That is the "understanding" that I have with my son. He's 21 now and still thinking he shoudl gain a little more experience in a cage before buying a bike.

sleepman
02-10-2009, 04:44 AM
The MSF course is a must for new riders.

While I find riding the Spyder just as much fun as riding a 2 wheeler I really don't feel like it's a good "starter" bike. In my opinion because the Spyder is safer than switching to a 2 wheeler without any experience could lead some problems if and when he does switch to a 2 wheeler.

Lamonster
02-10-2009, 06:26 AM
I have three boys, one is 22 one 20 and the other 17. They all grew up riding dirtbikes just like their Dad, :doorag:

My two oldest boys ride crouch rockets and I'm sure my youngest boy will do the same as soon as he can. Motorcycling is a great sport and with the right training it can be great fun and as safe as any other high risk sport including riding a Spyder. Anything in the open air is going to give you less protection than a car or truck, that's just a fact of life.

My youngest son didn't think too much of the Spyder when I first showed it to him online but he's come to like it.
I'm guessing your son has some motorcycle experience so I would let him take you for a ride on it and go into town or get some fuel and I'm pretty sure it won't be long before he likes all the attention he'll be getting on the Spyder. He'll be a Rockstar as you know. :spyder2: Still I wouldn't try and keep him from riding a bike either. I'm 50 now and have been rinding my own bike since I was 12 and I somehow survied it. :doorag:

Their first bike.
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=86

Now two of them are in the Marines and one is headed that way as soon as he gets out of Highschool. :doorag:

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=85

NancysToy
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I heartily agree with everyone who said "MSF course first!" As to the choice in first motorcycles, it is hard for a 50 year veteran of two-wheels to reflect on his experience...they don't sell Cushmans any more. I tend to agree with those that say a little dirt riding experience can't be beat, as far as developing skills goes. I also feel strongly that most riders start out on motorcycles far too large and too powerful these days...and that includes the Spyder. I'd recommend one of the smaller dual-sport machines, say 400 cc. Sufficient to get around in traffic, lightweight and maneuverable, and you can get them off onto dirt roads and trails to further develop your skills without the added distractions of traffic. From there on, with a couple of years of experience under his belt, he will probably decide for himself which direction he wants to take.
-Scotty http://forum.thestompbox.net/images/smilies/1a_snow.gif

Director
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I heartily agree with everyone who said "MSF course first!" As to the choice in first motorcycles, it is hard for a 50 year veteran of two-wheels to reflect on his experience...they don't sell Cushmans any more. I tend to agree with those that say a little dirt riding experience can't be beat, as far as developing skills goes. I also feel strongly that most riders start out on motorcycles far too large and too powerful these days...and that includes the Spyder. I'd recommend one of the smaller dual-sport machines, say 400 cc. Sufficient to get around in traffic, lightweight and maneuverable, and you can get them off onto dirt roads and trails to further develop your skills without the added distractions of traffic. From there on, with a couple of years of experience under his belt, he will probably decide for himself which direction he wants to take.

:agree: Couldn't have said it better. Someone else in this string mentioned a Kawasaki KLR 650 or a Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Also good choices for a first bike.

Bruce

bjt
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I heartily agree with everyone who said "MSF course first!" As to the choice in first motorcycles, it is hard for a 50 year veteran of two-wheels to reflect on his experience...they don't sell Cushmans any more. I tend to agree with those that say a little dirt riding experience can't be beat, as far as developing skills goes. I also feel strongly that most riders start out on motorcycles far too large and too powerful these days...and that includes the Spyder....

When I was taking my motorcycle endorsement test, there was a lady there with her first bike, first time rider, and someone (boyfriend?) had convinced her to get this large (over 1000cc) sport bike. She could barely hold the thing upright. There was no way she was going to pass the test on that thing. Luckily she befriended another lady there who had a smaller Ninja and they both tested (and passed) on that smaller bike.

BRPjunkie
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Let me pile on with the MSF vote. MSF course was critical to my wife feeling comfortable on her first bike, the venerable Honda Rebel. Easy transition to Yamaha 535 Virago and then A V-Star 650 Classic. Too big too soon is a recipe for problems for many beginners.

crazycanuck
02-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I know a couple of instances that even the :spyder:was too big too soon.....just cause it has 3 wheels people forget that it is still a powerful machine

GaryTheBadger
02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
After 38 years on two-, three- and four-wheeled cycles, I also agree with the rest of the replies that he must take the safety course to earn the right to drive in public, and that the Spyder is too much power for a first bike, for a 17 year old male. I only survived my initial bike years because I was limited to a Honda S90 and a Suzuki RV90 Rover. Who's name will the bike and insurance be in? He's a minor...in many places, parents are liable for damage their minor children cause.

crazycanuck
02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
My first bike was a CBR Hurricane when I was 21, I still don't know how I managed to live through those riding years so yes I suggest a smaller bike because testostrone and a powerful bike is a bad combination

tnfleming
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks to all of you for the sage advice. This site is great because the people care to help out! And i'm a cycling newbie so I need the help. Lamont you should be proud of your marines! Congratulations.

kalavera
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
tnfleming, I am not sure where you are located but in the state of Florida, you HAVE to take a MSF course in order to get a Motorcycle Endorsement. I highly recommend it. My first bike after the course was a 500cc Buell. That bike taught me alot; What I can and can't do.

I am 37 years old. I didnt start riding motorcycles till over a year ago. I know how I was when I was 16-17. I drove like a bat out of HeLL. I was reckless and didnt care about anyone else on the road. They had to move out of my way. I also had illusions of grandeur, thinking there wasnt anything I couldnt do in my car. Of course I never had drivers ed in school either.

When I got to college and later took emergency vehicle operations, I became a better driver.

So education counts for something. If you dont live in Florida and have a choice, still have him take the MSF course.

Start with something 250cc to 650cc range. Just cause they are small doesnt mean they arent fun. Put a loud pipe on her and she will draw attention. Thats what I did. I had a D&D pipe on my 500cc Buell. People didnt give the bike a second look unless that engine was running. The loud pipe gave me a psychological boost from having a smaller bike. I am now glad I rode a smaller bike before getting the spyder.

Just my 2 cents.....

sleepman
02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
tnfleming, I am not sure where you are located but in the state of Florida, you HAVE to take a MSF course in order to get a Motorcycle Endorsement. I highly recommend it.

Florida actually just made that a law in July of last year. I have a friend who had been riding on permits for a couple years because he would never take the time to go do the license test. He finally got it done just a couple weeks before the law went on the books.

In the state of Florida now you also can't register a motorcycle in your name if you do not have a motorcycle endorsement.

LDFIREWORKS
02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
let him ride :spyder2: let him ride :f_spider::2thumbs::2thumbs::spyder:

barb36jack31
02-11-2009, 04:47 PM
In reference to the suggestion that the Kawasaki KLR-650 is a good starter bike, IMO the KLR is a good bike for any age or experience level. I had a 1989 version and it was just plain a ton of fun! With a Super Trapp with 8 discs it had an exhaust sound that was good for the soul!

Director
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
In reference to the suggestion that the Kawasaki KLR-650 is a good starter bike, IMO the KLR is a good bike for any age or experience level. I had a 1989 version and it was just plain a ton of fun! With a Super Trapp with 8 discs it had an exhaust sound that was good for the soul!
:agree:No doubt about that Jack. One of the best all-purpose bang-for-your-buck bikes on the road today!

Bruce

COOLMACHINE
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow,
I have really enjoyed this tread! I mean that! A lot of years of riding experience in here. Kinda makes you feel good doesn't it? So here’s my two cents worth. I agree with sleepman. I would definitely learn to ride a two-wheeler first.
I think the diversity will only be more helpful for him. Other bikers will want to try out his Spyder…so probably he will be test riding their 2-wheelers hence the need for 2 wheel experience. As far as cc’s. I may as well chime in here. My first bike was an 81’ Suzuki 400 1 cylinder. Rode it for 3 years and put 21 thousand miles on it. Top speed…80 mph. It served me well. Jerry :2thumbs:

tnfleming
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I love to hear your opinions and i thank you all. One question that only a couple of you addressed: which is more FUN: spyder or two-wheeler? My argument to my son is that spyder is more stable and hence more fun because one can go faster around curves more safely. Also better in rain, gravel etc. He says he wants to lean on a bike and spyder is too stiff. Earlier post said spyder 90% fun of two-wheeler. Thoughts? I sure get lots of attention on the spyder from some tough-lookin' dudes! Makes me think trike ain't so wimpy as my son thinks.

dryheat
02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I love to hear your opinions and i thank you all. One question that only a couple of you addressed: which is more FUN: spyder or two-wheeler? My argument to my son is that spyder is more stable and hence more fun because one can go faster around curves more safely. Also better in rain, gravel etc. He says he wants to lean on a bike and spyder is too stiff. Earlier post said spyder 90% fun of two-wheeler. Thoughts? I sure get lots of attention on the spyder from some tough-lookin' dudes! Makes me think trike ain't so wimpy as my son thinks.

Yea... it's fun to lean a two wheeler over through the twisties... but not so much fun when you lean too far; or hit a slick spot in the apex of the curve! Maybe a bit more of an adrenaline rush. (you know... that "danger" thing) Given your son's age (and yes, he will take a curve too fast), I suggest he not tempt fate with a sport bike. Whatever he gets, he will probaby drop it within the first few months, even if it's only in the driveway. Hopefully he won't get hurt - or maybe he'll just get a good scare... enough to convince him to grow up real fast.
I was able to persuade my son to get a used 650 V-Strom. Plenty of power to get around, and he's not as likely to get suckered into a street race with some other testosterone infused kid. He's been happy with it (and did fall off in his front yard!). Also a lot less $$ than a Spyder. And yes, he took the MSF course, too.
BTW, I find it pretty much fun to hang off the saddle of the Spyder going through those mountain twisties!:yikes:

Spyderman62
02-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Coming from a former instructor, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Most importantl;y, is having him take a MSF course. Then, no matter his protests, he really needs to learn the fundamentals of actually riding on the street. I put my son on a Buell Blast ( single 500cc) for the first year. Told him to master the skills and then let his experience guide him to a bigger bike. He now rides a Suzuki 650 V-Twin something sport like. 2 weeks after getting the Suzuki, he dumped it from locking up the brakes avoiding a car that was stopped in his lane waiting to make a left turn. Learning curve went way up. Bike is fixed, and he has the scar on his arm and leg to remind him. Hardest part, I was behind him and saw him go down. We had just a few minutes earlier, left the Can-Am dealer where I had test rode, and ordered my Spyder. Your son needs to master the basics, before the larger cc bike arrives. Some states even require a smaller bike first time out.

NancysToy
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
What's the most fun for you may not be the same for your son, and vice versa. Some people like skydiving, some like sailing, and some just enjoy taking long walks. They're all having fun! Nothing will sour your son faster than being forced to ride something he is not interested in...no matter how safe or sane. Then he could be turned off to motorcycles forever. If he wants two wheels, get him trained, set some ground rules (like maximum displacement, and approval of his choice of models) and let him find his own path. You will both be happier that way. The Spyder is not wimpy. I love it, and swipe Nancy's every chance I get. By the same token, I still have 21 other two-wheelers (the tricycle doesn't count) and I couldn't imagine not riding them, either. Doesn't have to be one or another, or a hard, fast choice. You will both be best off riding what pleases you individually.

bjt
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I think the Spyder is more fun for me than a two wheeler. Reason being is that I don't have to worry about gravel patches or slick spots or be in constant fear of others in cars not paying attention to me. I can sit back and enjoy the ride a lot more than on two wheels. As far as the "rock star" attention, I don't need it but others think its a great selling point.

bjt
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Is it snowing down there again Scotty? :D

Sorry about the thread hijack... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/desperado-087.gif

NancysToy
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Is it snowing down there again Scotty? :D

Sorry about the thread hijack... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/desperado-087.gif
Just a few flakes blowing about...after all, it is the Cereal City.

tnfleming
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Update: i took everyone's advice into consideration and got on cycletrader.com and then everything changed. I found a sprint st for sale low miles great price and decided i needed a bike that i can use also. Good cross between sport bike and touring bike. Has to be able to carry some gear. And have anti-lock brakes.

reinie
02-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I would say get an inexpensive used cruiser 500cc to 750cc so there isn't going to be a big deal when he drops it (he will, we all did). Definitely get him to an MSF course and also to an empty parking lot to practice, practice, and practice. Dirt bike are ok but dirt isn't always available. Sportbikes A.K.A. crotchrockets would be too tempting to a young guy to do stunting and excessive speeds which inexperience can get him hurt, crippled or killed. So by all means avoid them for now. D. Reinhard, Ohio