PDA

View Full Version : GPS On 2014 And Newer RT Limited's

rcantrell52
01-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Is the GPS standard or optional equipment on 2014 and newer RT Limiteds? Called about a 2014 Spyder that was advertised as a RT Limited, but it did not have the GPS. Thanks in advanced.

Reese

Bob Denman
01-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Yup! :thumbup:
If it's not on the bike; somebody has removed it... :shocked:

AY4B
01-14-2016, 10:38 AM
It was standard on my '14 ST Limited as well.

Highwayman2013
01-14-2016, 10:39 AM
It was standard on my 2012 RT Limited.

Bob Denman
01-14-2016, 11:00 AM
It was, and is, standard on ALL of the Limiteds: regardless of the year or model. :thumbup:

AY4B
01-14-2016, 11:11 AM
the Garmin 660 is also supposed to have lifetime free upgrades. I am currently having issues with this because my computer can not detect the Garmin is hooked up to the computer, and the GPS keeps telling me to update it.

Commander
01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Standard on all of the RTL's My 2013 had the 660 and my 2015 has the 590

Commander
01-14-2016, 11:18 AM
If you check the specs it will tell you exactly what should come with it including the GPS and luggage

trikermutha
01-14-2016, 11:18 AM
with GPS and rolling Carry Bag if you are buying brand new.

AY4B
01-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Tell the dealer that if it doesn't have the stuff, its not a Limited.:yes:

R FUN
01-14-2016, 11:27 AM
I too have the 660 gps on my limited. Garman are also telling me I have to pay for updates, no lifetime updates, what a bummer.

SpyderSteveFL
01-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Yep, standard, thats why I went with a limited instead of an RT-S and trying to add later. Not sure about the '14, but the 15s use the 590, 16 went back to 660. 590 is supposedly better and CanAm switched to it but as I understand it the manufacturer that makes the glass when out of business and Garmin can't get enough glass for the 590 to meet demand of CanAm so CanAm decided to go back to the 660 with different glass.

AY4B
01-14-2016, 11:30 AM
I too have the 660 gps on my limited. Garman are also telling me I have to pay for updates, no lifetime updates, what a bummer.

The small print said you had to register it inside a certain time frame to get the free updates.

SpyderSteveFL
01-14-2016, 11:31 AM
IGarman are also telling me I have to pay for updates, no lifetime updates, what a bummer.

Search around, there are some threads discussing this. I think all Spyders are intended to have lifetime updates. Look at the label on the device does it say 660LM?

Bob Denman
01-14-2016, 11:38 AM
"660LM" gets you the free updates :thumbup:
"660" gets you the opportunity to purchase the "Not-So-Free" updates... :banghead:

den2614
01-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Yes, the Garmin 660 is standard on the 14 RTL

rcantrell52
01-14-2016, 04:08 PM
All,
I appreciate the feedback regarding my question.

Reese

Cruzr Joe
01-14-2016, 04:26 PM
If the serial # on your garmin has "LM" either at the beginning or end that verifies that that particular Garmin has "Lifetime Maps", i had a problem getting mine to update without a charge and called Garmin and they sent me a Lifetime Map card with a serial # for that garmin. (after we had a good discussion about it). Serial # was under the battery.

Never take no for an answer from someone that cannot say yes.

Cruzr Joe

AY4B
01-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks Joe
I had not seen LM on anything but once I pulled the battery, there it was. I called the help desk today to see why my Garmin will not connect to my computer. It sounds like they are from India. Very hard to understand. Anyway, he had me load an app to take over my computer. He said there is a hardware problem with my GPS and to take it to a computer repair shop. It is out of warranty or is it, Ill have to see if my spyder warranty will cover it.

Ben Burped
01-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks Joe
I had not seen LM on anything but once I pulled the battery, there it was. I called the help desk today to see why my Garmin will not connect to my computer. It sounds like they are from India. Very hard to understand. Anyway, he had me load an app to take over my computer. He said there is a hardware problem with my GPS and to take it to a computer repair shop. It is out of warranty or is it, Ill have to see if my spyder warranty will cover it.

Yes, you do have to download the latest version of Garmin Express to be able to connect your computer to the Garmin. This may be racist, but don't let someone who is reading to you from a computer generated script tell you what to do with your computer. If you have Garmin Express and a functional USB to Mini USB cable plugged into the back of the unit (under the battery cover) the computer should "see" your GPS.

Cruzr Joe
01-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Yes, you do have to download the latest version of Garmin Express to be able to connect your computer to the Garmin. This may be racist, but don't let someone who is reading to you from a computer generated script tell you what to do with your computer. If you have Garmin Express and a functional USB to Mini USB cable plugged into the back of the unit (under the battery cover) the computer should "see" your GPS.

I agree, my problem was that it could see my GPS but still did not want to give me free updates until i called them, I would check with BRP as to weather or not your Garmin is covered, you have a 2014 Right? if so it should be covered ............... but not for much longer.

Cruzr Joe

HayRog
01-14-2016, 08:10 PM
I had to download Garmin Express if I remember correctly. Took a bit of playing around before it recognized the GPS.

JayBros
01-14-2016, 09:19 PM
I purchased my Spyder RT-S in Sept 2014 and, at the urging of my son, opted to wait until the Zumo 590, alleged newer technology, was available on the 2015s with the price part of the OTD deal. The wait for the 590 was worth it IMO and I am very satisfied with it. I note on the BRP build and price web site the 590 has been replaced by the 660 on the 2016 RT Limiteds but is still listed as an option on the RT-S Special Series. That might be because of the glass problem previously mentioned and BRP is planning on lower volume sales of the Sepcial Series, just a guess.

FWIW, I have found every single Garmin technician extremely proficient and helpful and every one of them has spoken perfect English with no accent whatsoever. The company has a special number for the department they call OEM Product Support, 855-607-2536. Use this number if you want to talk specifics about the Spyder support. The only downside I find with Garmin is Basecamp and I think that may be because the folks who wrote that program also may have written the software for *****care.

AY4B
01-15-2016, 09:46 PM
I called that number and the tek told me the problem is probably the cable. So today I got a new cable at radio shack and got it to show up on the computer. I opens up drop box but the Garman express still can not find it.:banghead: Ill have to call back tomorrow or next time they are open.
I asked him why some have lifetime map updates and some don't and he told me they send the ones the dealer orders. some dealers get the ones with lifetime updates and some don't.

DJFaninTN
01-15-2016, 09:56 PM
did you check inside the luggage? maybe it was inside a plain white box.

AY4B
01-15-2016, 10:27 PM
did you check inside the luggage? maybe it was inside a plain white box.

The USB cable was bad. I needed a new one. It is making the connection now to the computer but I still cant figure out why Express cant find it. I downloaded the latest version, Installed computer updates, ... I give up for today, by the time I got all that done the help desk was closed.