PDA

View Full Version : Polaris can't be happy with this review.

Trickie Dick
01-11-2016, 04:33 PM
http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/shootout-miata-vs-slingshot/

Bob Denman
01-11-2016, 05:43 PM
It's easy to dismiss their subjective dislike of the SlingShot's appearance...
But it's tough to argue about the brakes. :shocked:
Hopefully; Polaris will get this thing dialed-in, and folks will see if for what it can be: LOTS of fun! :thumbup:

mowin
01-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Definitely didn't hold back, but I doubt Polaris cares. There's always someone out there thats going to give any vehicle a poor review.

arntufun
01-11-2016, 06:47 PM
It's easy to dismiss their subjective dislike of the SlingShot's appearance...
But it's tough to argue about the brakes. :shocked:
Hopefully; Polaris will get this thing dialed-in, and folks will see if for what it can be: LOTS of fun! :thumbup:

The brakes are awesome on a Slingshot !!!!! It's just people are (I want to say stupid) to understand the brakes on a Slingshot will not respond like the brakes on a car. You have to apply more manual down pressure. It's totally two different braking systems.

I guess it's easier for others (not you) to belittle things, than to actually understand how different things work.

Those two (insert swear word here) had no business putting a car up against a motorcycle...... How lame.....

Bob Denman
01-11-2016, 06:51 PM
But they've already talked about brake system upgrades... :dontknow:
Perhaps all they need is a change in the valving... or even just a different composition in the pads! :thumbup:

arntufun
01-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Spyder changed theirs also...............

As a past owner of both a Slingshot and a Spyder, both were very well braking machines
.... :thumbup:

vided
01-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Reads as bad as it looks

Lamonster
01-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Those two (insert swear word here) had no business putting a car up against a motorcycle...... How lame.....

It's funny because I was thinking just the opposite, the only motorcycle about the Slingshot is you have to wear a helmet in a helmet state and it's made by a company that builds motorcycles. It has a steering wheel not handlebars therefor it's not a motorcycle just like the Stallion is a car.

arntufun
01-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Reads as bad as it looks

Huh ??????? You will have to elaborate for us to understand ......... ;)

Mexican
01-11-2016, 08:41 PM
They destroyed the Slingshot on that review!:yikes:

vided
01-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Huh ??????? You will have to elaborate for us to understand ......... ;)

Ugly slingshot review, slingshot, ugly to see :thumbup:

arntufun
01-11-2016, 08:44 PM
It's funny because I was thinking just the opposite, the only motorcycle about the Slingshot is you have to wear a helmet in a helmet state and it's made by a company that builds motorcycles. It has a steering wheel not handlebars therefor it's not a motorcycle just like the Stallion is a car.

Hopefully your argument can provide more substance than a steering wheel ....... :joke: You of all people should have a more open mind considering the Spyder in most eyes is/was a snowmobile with wheels. Don't forget and lose touch of what others thought of Spyders back in 2007. The line was blurred with the Spyder and it's even more now with these new products ....... :thumbup:

Bfromla
01-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Definitely didn't hold back, but I doubt Polaris cares. There's always someone out there thats going to give any vehicle a poor review.

SO RIGHT they didn't care when it was illegal in 1/2the states! They want the
$$$$$ screw the rest, & with the shot "motorcycle" as many are are there just help screw with our trike insurance numbers. Especially when drivers (not riders) with out helmets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ES44AC
01-11-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm not going to beat up on the Slingshot owners, but I don't see how it falls into the motorcycle category. Some people don't like Spyders either, so if you like the Slingshot rock on...

arntufun
01-11-2016, 09:23 PM
SO RIGHT they didn't care when it was illegal in 1/2the states! They want the
$$$$$ screw the rest, & with the shot "motorcycle" as many are are there just help screw with our trike insurance numbers. Especially when drivers (not riders) with out helmets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was only illegal in a few (I believe 5) states..... Also, if you need to wear a helmet on a Spyder (in the particular state), most likely you will have to wear it in a Slingshot. The Slingshot will have zero effect on your Spyder insurance.

Please don't spread false info and try to install gun grabbing fear like the NRA.......... :roflblack:

ARtraveler
01-11-2016, 10:07 PM
The article did not sway me. I still like the Slingshot. :yes::yes:

Lamonster
01-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Hopefully your argument can provide more substance than a steering wheel ....... :joke: You of all people should have a more open mind considering the Spyder in most eyes is/was a snowmobile with wheels. Don't forget and lose touch of what others thought of Spyders back in 2007. The line was blurred with the Spyder and it's even more now with these new products ....... :thumbup:

I have no problem with the Spyder being called a snowmobile with wheels, that's what it started off as. The Slingshot has a car motor, you sit in it like a car, it has a hood like a car, you sit side by side like a car, and yes it has a steering wheel. What makes it a motorcycle?

My mind is open to it being a car, I guess you're stuck on it being a motorcycle. I'm not saying anything bad about it, many of my good friends own them I'm just saying the review was honest about the car part everything else I have no opinion on. I'm happy you found the perfect fit for you. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 07:50 AM
I found it refreshing that they finally did a comparison between it, and another actual car... :thumbup:

Lamonster
01-12-2016, 07:54 AM
I was looking for the picture of the first concept Spyder but couldn't find it. I did fine this pic of the Slingshot

http://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2015_polaris_slingshot_specs_internals.png

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 08:00 AM
SledMaster might have the picture that you're looking for...

bscrive
01-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Personally, I think the Slingshot is a car. Lamont hit on all the reasons why. But, if a person is happy with it, all the power to them. It doesn't turn my crank.

Commander
01-12-2016, 08:09 AM
There will be the Naysayers about the Slingshot just like there are Naysayers about the Spyder.....

I have heard it on this forum many times that it is not what you ride but just being out there enjoying the smells, sounds, sights and the feel of the road.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-12-2016, 08:11 AM
WOW!! he beat the S**T out of the slingshot in that review. i like the looks but i do agree it is more of a car & the comparison of
the 2 is deserved.

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 08:30 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122527&stc=1

oldguyinTX
01-12-2016, 10:10 AM
To each his own, but I just don't like it.:barf:

Rando
01-12-2016, 10:18 AM
For me it was all about safety. I prefer to strap my grandkids in next to me in my Slingshot instead of putting them behind me and telling them to hold on tight! That's why I sold my Spyder. My youngest grandson is all smiles when I pick him up from preschool. Last Thursday it was raining, I left the Slingshot in the garage. He told me, "Grandpa, where's the Slingshot? I don't mind getting wet?"

They love "surfin the asphalt" and so do I!

Machinegunner
01-12-2016, 11:11 AM
My only comment is, I found it a lot easier for me to get on and off my Spyder, than to try to climb in and climb out of a Slingshot. Plus, you might be thrown from the accident with a Spyder rather than being trapped in the Slingshot. The article did seem to favor the door slammer.

Rando
01-12-2016, 11:28 AM
My only comment is, I found it a lot easier for me to get on and off my Spyder, than to try to climb in and climb out of a Slingshot.I couldn't agree with you more. It's a PITA to get in/out!

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Randy,
Do you get both feet in, before sitting down? I found that worked easier that trying to pull that last leg up over the rails, after my butt was already down in the seat! :thumbup:

Rando
01-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Randy,
Do you get both feet in, before sitting down? I found that worked easier that trying to pull that last leg up over the rails, after my butt was already down in the seat! :thumbup:I have a top so I have to be creative. I want to get these: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/unified-performance-up-out-coming-soon-at-cyclesprings.10368/page-3#post-223083

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 01:24 PM
:shocked: Carry a pocketknife, and sewing kit... :thumbup:

Pennyrick
01-12-2016, 02:58 PM
It is a shame that the Solstice went out of production when it did. Even my 2008 Solstice seems to outperform both of these as tested.

At 155 hp with a mushy suspension the Miata just isn't up to the task plus it's ugly.

With 173 hp from the Ecotec the Slingshot puts out a lot of rubber dust even with traction control, plus it is uncomfortable.

If GM could only put out a rag top sports car pushing out 400 hp that could be a winner.

the new Buick just needs to have the top go down.......http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/a27848/buick-avista-concept-coupe-detroit-debut/

and it would be close but the Solstice is prettier.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122540&stc=1

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 03:02 PM
I actually preferred the styling of the Solstice's sibling: the Saturn Sky...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122542&stc=1

But they're BOTH pretty darn sharp-looking! :thumbup:

vided
01-12-2016, 03:45 PM
:agree: I liked the Saturn, except for all the shiny stuff

Ron2andia
01-12-2016, 05:42 PM
I like them but Lamont hit it on the head... This is a car... Steering wheel and all. Still want to drive one asap lol:doorag:

Bob Denman
01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
:agree: I liked the Saturn, except for all the shiny stuff

:shocked: I ride an RT Limited...

I LIVE for the shiny stuff!! :D :2thumbs:

arntufun
01-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Despite what some folks might say on this forum, the Slingshot does not handle like a car........... Please don't be foolish and think you can jump in and think you can control a Slingshot like a 4 wheel vehicle. Please have a little common sense as a three wheel vehicle will not handle like a 4 wheel one ....... Those folks are not well informed....... :thumbup:

retread
01-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Isn't some government agency trying to call all the side by side 3 wheelers "auto cycles"?

john

bruiser
01-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Have to agree with Randy. You can't drive a Slingshot like a car just as you can't drive a Spyder like a standard trike. End agreement.

While there is much debate over whether the Slingshot is a car or trike, most states are calling it an autocycle. Which is a fitting description. The design of the Slingshot is the very reason some states have banned it being registered for road use because according to their laws it can't be defined as either.

On a personal note,I do not like the Slingshot. #1- I have a hard time entering and exiting. #2- I feel like I'm sitting in an extremely tight space and my feet are too close together on the controls. #3- Operator visibility is very limited. Unless you get the high end model with the rearview camera, you can't see behind you. Low seating restricts forward sightline. Now If I were a tall person, forward sightline may be better. I don't know about braking issues, didn't drive one far enough to have to use the brakes that much.

If you prefer to drive a Slingshot, have at it. I don't care what you drive, just don't rub it in anyone's face and think you're better than anyone else.

vided
01-12-2016, 08:38 PM
:shocked: I ride an RT Limited...

I LIVE for the shiny stuff!! :D :2thumbs:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjc58nT4hUA

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Isn't some government agency trying to call all the side by side 3 wheelers "auto cycles"?

john
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?87738-Slingshot-is-an-Autocycle&highlight=autocycle