PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aid technology

Larry rt
01-11-2016, 11:20 AM
There is currently no hearing aids that can use blue tooth.
But they do have some that you can stream music, phone or iPads . The technology of streaming is simular to bluetooth.
I received a pair of hearing aids from the VA last week , which has this technology ( brand is resound ) . You can control your hearing aids using an AP from your phone. The ap is available for IPhone or Droid. The Droid ap only let's you control volume and bass and tremble and does not do the streaming.
The IPhone ap let's you do this but also streams directly to your hearing aids. Just like bluetooth!
You can buy a streaming devise that let's you stream a Droid phone but $$$ ($300+).
I have an old IPhone so I tested it out, works great and I can understand the words!
Thought I would pass this information on , for those of you that use hearing aids.
Forgot to mention, I have the hearing aids that go behind the ear, since the microphone is on top, there is no feedback.

keefer
01-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Starkey Halo is a 'made for iPhone' hearing aid. Calls, music, video sound, all go directly to hearing aids. I am also able to adjust the sound for different environments and then tag the location so the next time I go there the program automatically adjusts itself. GPS on my phone plays through the hearing aids too.

IGETAROUND
01-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Kool; though I normally leave my hearing aides out during the day riding and use ear protectors made for firearms to lower the wind assault during the day:yes::thumbup:

robmorg
01-11-2016, 02:27 PM
I have Oticon BTE mini hearing aids with a streamer. You can control the streamer with both iPhone and Android apps. The apps connect to the streamer control via Bluetooth, although they they are not quite as sophisticated as the Starkey Halo's in that they will not adjust to different environments. However, I can listen to any music source that is on my Android phone.

I usually take my aids off to ride and listen to my iPOD via the Spyder's entertainments system with the Sena SM10 BT dongle. But since I also enjoy listening to Pandora radio from my phone, I'll try the phone app and see how that works. I'm thinking the music might be a bit tinny and weak through those tiny speakers against the background noise of riding, though.

keefer
01-11-2016, 02:58 PM
I have Oticon BTE mini hearing aids with a streamer. You can control the streamer with both iPhone and Android apps. The apps connect to the streamer control via Bluetooth, although they they are not quite as sophisticated as the Starkey Halo's in that they will not adjust to different environments. However, I can listen to any music source that is on my Android phone.

I usually take my aids off to ride and listen to my iPOD via the Spyder's entertainments system with the Sena SM10 BT dongle. But since I also enjoy listening to Pandora radio from my phone, I'll try the phone app and see how that works. I'm thinking the music might be a bit tinny and weak through those tiny speakers against the background noise of riding, though.

I don't ride with my hearing aids in because they usually fall out when taking my helmet off. I had been wondering if the Sena setup would be loud enough to hear over the wind noise?

Larry rt
01-11-2016, 03:40 PM
I turn off volume with ap , then in the music ap to control volume. This way the aids act as plugs for wind noise , but I still hear music from IPhone. If I am commuting threw bluetooth to another rider , I just turn up the volume with the ap to hear them.
I knew there must be other manufacturers out there thanks for letting us know.

Cruzr Joe
01-11-2016, 03:56 PM
:hun:, what did he say??? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

2ndChildhood
01-11-2016, 05:36 PM
There is currently no hearing aids that can use blue tooth.
But they do have some that you can stream music, phone or iPads . The technology of streaming is simular to bluetooth.
I received a pair of hearing aids from the VA last week , which has this technology ( brand is resound ) . You can control your hearing aids using an AP from your phone. The ap is available for IPhone or Droid. The Droid ap only let's you control volume and bass and tremble and does not do the streaming.
The IPhone ap let's you do this but also streams directly to your hearing aids. Just like bluetooth!
You can buy a streaming devise that let's you stream a Droid phone but $$$ ($300+).
I have an old IPhone so I tested it out, works great and I can understand the words!
Thought I would pass this information on , for those of you that use hearing aids.
Forgot to mention, I have the hearing aids that go behind the ear, since the microphone is on top, there is no feedback.

Larry, I was just at Fluke Hearing today to have I hearing aids tweak. They now have hearing aids that uses bluetooth technology it's really slick. I'm planning on getting another years use out of the ones I have but I'm deathly going to start saving up money for the new one. I believe they have a office in Grand Rapids but they do have other locations across the state. I've been very pleased with Fluke Hearing. I've had these now for three years and every time I need them tweet they never charge me anything. They take very good care of me. If you end up getting some from them mention my name so I get some kind of referral.

Oh have you got the Bill lately?

ToM
Simplify
Life is good

Larry rt
01-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Tom , no I haven't talked to Bill lately. I think he will be heading down to Florida soon.
When you replace your hearing aids, make sure you get the ones that stream directy. But you will require an iPhone or a streaming device for android. You will love them. I get mine free from VA , so I can't choose fluke. Heard you might going down also to visit Rod . He must be having fun on his spyder.

robmorg
01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
I don't ride with my hearing aids in because they usually fall out when taking my helmet off. I had been wondering if the Sena setup would be loud enough to hear over the wind noise? That works fine without wearing the hearing aids, because it's always easy enough just to turn up the volume at your helmet. Plenty of volume there. The only minor annoyance is that the adaptive volume control setting, that works with the speakers, does not work through the SM10 Bluetooth dongle. Consequently, I'm always having to adjust the volume at my helmet as I speed up and slow down.

2ndChildhood
01-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Tom , no I haven't talked to Bill lately. I think he will be heading down to Florida soon.
When you replace your hearing aids, make sure you get the ones that stream directy. But you will require an iPhone or a streaming device for android. You will love them. I get mine free from VA , so I can't choose fluke. Heard you might going down also to visit Rod . He must be having fun on his spyder.

No I'm not going to Florida I'm doing Spyder in the bayou in Louisiana middle of March and Rod will be joining me there.

ToM
Simplify
Life is good

cptjam
01-12-2016, 12:15 AM
Les, any insights? Thanks, Joe

Bfromla
01-12-2016, 12:21 AM
Reading this makes yall sound likehttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122522&stc=1:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::thumbup: