PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Rider Needs Advice

BLBryant
01-11-2016, 08:12 AM
I am a new member and need some advice PRIOR to purchasingmy Spyder. I am a disabled right footamputee that has balance issues. I canwalk with the assistance of a walker/stroller.

I was considering purchasing an RT with a trailer hitch so Icould attach a trailer hitch rack (24”X27”X8”) to mount my stroller upon. Could anyone advise me if this is a goodmethod to mount such a stroller, or should I contemplate going to a differentstroller that collapses similar to a wheelchair? Are there any drawbacks of this method ofmounting or operating with a rack behind the Spyder?

I would greatly appreciate any input that anyone couldprovide. I have dreamed about riding againfor a long time. I do like to planthings out and consider all of my alternatives, prior to throwing down thathard earned money. I rented a Spyder RTjust to see if I could operate it safely, and now I am hooked! The Spyder will ENABLE me to live and enjoylife again (not disable).

Thank You!

P.S.

I will be installing a hand brake. I just think that is how all cycles should operate! Old habits die hard!

IGETAROUND
01-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Welcome and thank you for your information.

The hitch mounted carrier will work for that light of a load; just would need to make certain that every thing was well restrained front to back and side to side.

You might also want to consider a larger brake foot pad as your proprioception is altered and a larger brake foot pad might make it easier and give you more confidence about not missing the brake in an emergent situation.

These are great platforms on which to explore the universe to your hearts content. Give us some pictures when you finally make the plunge. :yes::clap::coffee:

jaherbst
01-11-2016, 08:53 AM
​I see no reason this would not work. Just make sure the walker is tied down secure. I would suggest a hand brake also to supplement the foot brake for safety in your situation.

Think positive. Where there is a will there is a way. We have many disabled riders here with varied disabilities.

Jack

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
:welcome:....I don't know how close to purchasing a Spyder you are, but I recently saw a 2014 RT SE that had the ISCI handbrake on it, and it was selling at a very low price.....I'll see if I can find it and get back to you........Mike :thumbup:

BLBryant
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
:welcome:....I don't know how close to purchasing a Spyder you are, but I recently saw a 2014 RT SE that had the ISCI handbrake on it, and it was selling at a very low price.....I'll see if I can find it and get back to you........Mike :thumbup:

Yes please! I would be very interested!

R FUN
01-11-2016, 04:08 PM
My Riding buddy had his knee removed so had to walk with a walker. He used a folding walker and tied it to the rear seat with bunjees. When his wife would go along I would carry it on my rear trunk rack as he had no rack.It works great strapped on the rack. I have the rack from BIG BIKE PARTS part no.41-155. The rack is very practical and looks good. I just installed it last summer so is not on my picture. He also has the hand break and it works great. We both ride RT Limiteds
Roger

Highwayman2013
01-11-2016, 04:13 PM
This might help: http://www.theluggagebuddy.com/

http://www.isciride.com/?page_id=187 (http://www.theluggagebuddy.com/)

BLBryant
01-11-2016, 06:35 PM
My Riding buddy had his knee removed so had to walk with a walker. He used a folding walker and tied it to the rear seat with bunjees. When his wife would go along I would carry it on my rear trunk rack as he had no rack.It works great strapped on the rack. I have the rack from BIG BIKE PARTS part no.41-155. The rack is very practical and looks good. I just installed it last summer so is not on my picture. He also has the hand break and it works great. We both ride RT Limiteds
Roger

Thank you! I will check it out as an option.

BLBryant
01-11-2016, 06:44 PM
This might help: http://www.theluggagebuddy.com/

http://www.isciride.com/?page_id=187

This is exactly what I had planned! Thanks for the website reference. At least now I don't have to have to call on my friends to fabricate something.

Thank you.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Yes please! I would be very interested!
...Hi, I'm back with some info.....I found that Spyder with the Handbrake....a 2014 RT LTD SE in Cognac, used with 2043 miles......The dealer was asking $18,900 but it didn't sell at that price. I don't know if it's still for sale but I do have the rest of the info if your interested........PM me .........Mike :thumbup:..................PS, I think you can get it for less than above and the above price is damn good ...IMHO

First Spyder
01-11-2016, 07:51 PM
It is wonderful how everyone on this site comes together to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLBryant
01-11-2016, 10:42 PM
It is wonderful how everyone on this site comes together to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed! I am very appreciative to all of the individuals that have given me helpful and valuable advice. A sincere thank you goes out to all!

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-11-2016, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1080286]...Hi, I'm back with some info.....I found that Spyder with the Handbrake....a 2014 RT LTD SE in Cognac, used with 2043 miles......The dealer was asking $18,900 but it didn't sell at that price. I don't know if it's still for sale but I do have the rest of the info if your interested........PM me .........Mike :thumbup:..................PS, I think you can get it for less than above and the above price is damn good ...IMHO[/QUOTE..........................................I SENT THE INFO TO YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS, plus some other stuff I found....Mike :thumbup: