PDA

View Full Version : Modifing orginial seat on 2011 RT

Roger Nelson
01-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Has anyone tried taking seat to an upholstery person to get the driver part of the seat redone? I would like to get rid of the some of the support they tried to put in for the drivers lower back. If one took an 1" or so out of it and added a Utopia or similar back rest, seems like it would be much more comfortable.
Thanks. Roger

Tango
01-10-2016, 10:24 PM
I have thought about the same thing. Using a local upholsterer. Only custom seat makers I am aware of are on the left coast. We have tried Corbin, Ultimate as well as stock. I liked the Corbin, she liked the Ultimate. We both agree on the stock seat LOL, it sucks! :dontknow: Tom :spyder:

JayBros
01-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Based on the description "an upholstery person" I'd say it might be a crap shoot in terms of quality of the job unless the craftsman did motorcycle seats as a specialty. Motorcycle Dave, a sponsor, does it for a business.

Tulefog
01-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Roger
if possible, it may be best to find someone who has a Utopia backrest already installed on an RT. I have one on my 2013 RT, if i were in Iowa rather than California i would be glad to let you try it out and adjust it. The Utopia backrest is pretty popular and someone close to you probably has one. The Utopia backrest is very easy to adjust and i like it because i can adjust it forward and get the pressure off the built in lower back support of the seat. Might be able to save some money that way, avoiding the seat modification.
Good luck.
Dean

pegasus1300
01-10-2016, 11:14 PM
You can do it yourself,it's not that hard,I did it and I have never upholstered anything in my life. It is a little time consuming,it took me most of a day but I did take my time. Contact MotorcycleDave.com , a sponsor here, and order his memory foam/gel pad seat cushion.He also has a video on his website of how to do it. I was able to turn a 2 hour seat into an all day seat for the cost of the pad. You will also need to watch Finless' video on how to remove the seat.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Has anyone tried taking seat to an upholstery person to get the driver part of the seat redone? I would like to get rid of the some of the support they tried to put in for the drivers lower back. If one took an 1" or so out of it and added a Utopia or similar back rest, seems like it would be much more comfortable.
Thanks. Roger
.....Remember, it's that foam that gives the covering it's shape.....if you remove some of the foam ----- what are you going to do with the cover material.......just something to consider, whether you do it or someone else tries.......Good luck.....Mike

JerryB
01-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Hi Roger,

Re: Has anyone tried taking seat to an upholstery person to get the driver part of the seat redone?

I did almost exactly this. I bought a used Corbin seat & had MotorcycleDave do a rework. I do not think that I could be happier with the results.

He is a sponsor here; drop him a line and see what he has to say. IMO he is an honorable person.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
01-11-2016, 02:32 PM
:agree: Give MotorcycleDave a call... :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
01-11-2016, 07:48 PM
I have thought about the same thing. Using a local upholsterer. Only custom seat makers I am aware of are on the left coast. We have tried Corbin, Ultimate as well as stock. I liked the Corbin, she liked the Ultimate. We both agree on the stock seat LOL, it sucks! :dontknow: Tom :spyder:

Tom, find someone with a Russell day long seat, I think you and the missus might like it.:thumbup:

Tango
01-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Tom, find someone with a Russell day long seat, I think you and the missus might like it.:thumbup:

I think we would. Have never seen one on a Spyder. :banghead: Just tired of wasting :cus: money. :gaah: Tom :spyder:

Motorcycledave
01-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Hi Roger
If you give me a call 209-887-3283 I will be happy to give you some pointers
I modify stock seats to fit folks every day and install Gel and heaters as well
however if you are in the east the freight is killer for shipping back and forth
I will be happy to tell you/show you how to do this yourself.
Ride Safe
Dave

Thanks. Roger

Roger Nelson
06-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Hi Dave,
Sorry for no reply sooner! Believe it or not, I have not been on the site in a few years. I did have the seat worked on, the person doing the work, did a good job, but do not think he understood what I wanted done. Instead of making the seat feel like one was setting in it, he added padding and almost made it worse. It is not bad, but still after maybe an hr, if feels like one is always sliding forward, if you know what I mean. Just annoying, almost impossible to enjoy an all day ride or long trip.
If I keep my RT, I will give you a call someday.
Thanks for the reply, 4 years ago!! :)
Roger