PDA

View Full Version : RT Vented Windshield Question

stewartj239
01-07-2016, 05:06 PM
I own a 2013 RT-S and am looking to replace the OEM windshield with a vented one. The main problem I have is that with the OEM windshield at highway speeds, there can be a significant amount of buffeting. It is my understanding that the buffeting issue can be resolved by switching to a vented windshield. What I am hung up on is whether I should go with a 23" or 25"? I know that the OEM is 25". I'd like to know thoughts about going with the 23". Would the 23" vented windshield produce less buffeting than the 25"? Any pros or cons of the 23" versus the 25"? Thanks.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-07-2016, 05:09 PM
......you could just put a VENT in yours !!!!!! :yes::yes::yes:...Mike :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
01-07-2016, 05:37 PM
......you could just put a VENT in yours !!!!!! :yes::yes::yes:...Mike :thumbup:

:agree:

Cruzr Joe

Lew L
01-07-2016, 05:43 PM
A good vent in most any windshild will move the turbelence up and back. The ( any) shield that is angled upwards will creat a negative pressure and turbelence. You can buy a Goldwing style vent and cut you shield. $50.00 or so if you good with a drill and jig saw. ( And tape and measuring tools). I did one on a screen for my Valkyrie. Take you time and have the right cutting tools.

I also have a BRP vented shield it works GREAT.

Buffetting causes:::::::

Kaos

Probably---- the taller shield will help keep your passinger in lthe still air bubble.

Copperman
01-07-2016, 05:44 PM

How easy or difficult is it to install a vent? Also, is there a specific vent that's used?

samewok
01-07-2016, 05:57 PM
I have had a 23 and 25 inch. I liked the 25 better then the 23 because it reduced more air flow.

happyspyder2039
01-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I have had a 23 and 25 inch. I liked the 25 better then the 23 because it reduced more air flow.go bigger then cut down if needed

Bob Denman
01-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Don't you have the two small openings in the corners? (They line up with holes in the mounting bracket...)
Those helped to reduce buffeting quite a bit, when compared to my 2010's "Non-Holey" 27" windshield...
Go with the 25"! :thumbup:

jaherbst
01-07-2016, 07:49 PM
I had a vented adjustable windshield. Save your money--it sucks literally. I traded it to Len at PitBull for the OEM W/S. It came with the Spyder along with many other accessories which was used as a demo. OEM has a vent already cut out. If yours does not have it you can get it cut to match the OEM. I had a RTS and now have a RTL. Both came with the cutout in the W/S as standard.

Jack

stevedfive
01-07-2016, 08:04 PM
I have the 25" vented windshield and it works great.

Plyrod38
01-07-2016, 08:22 PM
I have a 23" BRP vented shield on my 15 LTD, love it. I'm short and the 25" is too tall for me to see over.
I had a 12 LTD that I added a Gold Wing vent, and trimmed it down to 23".
The installation wasn't difficult at all. I chose to go with the factory vented BRP shield on my 15, rather than cut up the stock one this time, too many other farkles to install.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-07-2016, 08:55 PM
How easy or difficult is it to install a vent? Also, is there a specific vent that's used?
.......Like Koas above said get one for a Gold Wing and use that........I think it's a Honda OEM part ..............How difficult ????....it depends ...how handi are you.....Mike :thumbup:

stewartj239
01-08-2016, 06:24 PM
I am hands-on as I perform all of my own maintenance, but I am not good enough with a dremel where I think I would be happy with the results. In addition, I want to keep the OEM windshield so that I can put it back in place when I sell the 2013 down the road. Currently, from what I've seen, the vented shield will work from 2013 through the current model year so my plan is to buy one now and carry it forward. I think I will stick with the 25" shield as well since I am 6'. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

robmorg
01-09-2016, 08:43 AM
.......Like Koas above said get one for a Gold Wing and use that........I think it's a Honda OEM part ..............How difficult ????....it depends ...how handi are you.....Mike :thumbup:
:agree:, except that since I'm not good with a Dremel either, I went with the F4 windshield that already has the Honda vent built-in. That gave me the added advantage of getting rid of those dirt sucking, holes that are cut into the bottom of the OEM windshield.

At Spyderquest, where I got the windshield installed, I looked at all the different heights and widths that the F4 folks had to offer. The windshield height you choose may be somewhat dependent on your own height. I stayed with the same 25 inch windshield height that I already had. (I even had Kim hold up each of their windshields in front of my Spyder while I sat on the seat - which, to her credit, she was happy to do.) Since I am tall, it was perfect for me because I could adjust it up or down so I could look over the top, or be fully shielded, whichever seems most desirable at any given time.

I agree you will be more happy with the 25 inch windshield, Stew, since you and I are about the same height.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116067&stc=1

Dustoff
01-09-2016, 09:01 AM
I think a lot of it depends on how tall you are. I'm 5' 8" and the factory windshield was to tall. I could not see over it in the lowest position. So I bought a 23" vented windshield for my 15 RT Limited. It works great. In the almost lowest position I can see over it and I can raise it for more protection if needed. I really like it.

sduskin
01-21-2016, 02:13 PM
I did this for both my and my wife's 2014 RT-S's. Got the taller and wider version! Love it!.

:agree:, except that since I'm not good with a Dremel either, I went with the F4 windshield that already has the Honda vent built-in. That gave me the added advantage of getting rid of those dirt sucking, holes that are cut into the bottom of the OEM windshield.

At Spyderquest, where I got the windshield installed, I looked at all the different heights and widths that the F4 folks had to offer. The windshield height you choose may be somewhat dependent on your own height. I stayed with the same 25 inch windshield height that I already had. (I even had Kim hold up each of their windshields in front of my Spyder while I sat on the seat - which, to her credit, she was happy to do.) Since I am tall, it was perfect for me because I could adjust it up or down so I could look over the top, or be fully shielded, whichever seems most desirable at any given time.

I agree you will be more happy with the 25 inch windshield, Stew, since you and I are about the same height.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116067&stc=1