PDA

View Full Version : Toy hauler Motorhomes / 2 Spyders

03hdjill
01-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have a toy hauler motorhome that is able to haul 2 Spyders? If so, what is the minimum garage size?

PMK
01-05-2016, 08:31 PM
My wife and I recently considered getting a toy hauler. We researched various options including powered or motorhome style toy haulers. I did the research and found that for a single Spyder RT you need a front to rear garage length toy hauler size 10 feet. The 8 foot is a few inches short. Possibly the cabin door could be held open or removed to slip the pointed nose of the Spyder in but it was too tight for me.

I did not research anything over a 31 foot vehicle. So I don't even know if they make a motorhome style toy hauler that is large enough so it can fit 2 Spyders. If they do probably be around 39 feet or longer.

PK

Kwalsh
01-05-2016, 08:55 PM
You might want to consider an enclosed trailer and a motorhome, a toy hauler big enough to haul 2 spyders would not have any room for anything else.

fulltimer
01-05-2016, 10:43 PM
As you can see by my "handle", my wife and I are full time RVers. We live in a motorhome. If you don't want to put anything else in a toy hauler garage, a minimum 10 ft preferably a 12 ft garage would probably do it by loading one front end in and one back end in, if the frame and axles will handle the combined weight. That would be about a 38 or 40 ft 5th wheel and probably a 40 ft motorhome. For the 5th wheel, you would need to be pulling it with a Ford F450 or equal. But here is the real problem. At least it was for us. All that garage room comes out of your living space. If you only want to vacation in the unit, that is fine. But I can guarantee you that if you have to spend some months (as in a winter down south) you will get very cramped. The way we solved the problem is to purchase a trike loader for our PICKUP and pull it behind the motorhome. So as not to sound as if I am an add for the loader we bought, if anyone is interested, PM me and I will point you toward several.

The real question is to ask yourself, HOW will I use and HOW MUCH will I use this for the money invested.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox.

jcthorne
01-06-2016, 09:41 AM
We looked for this combo for a long time. Only one we ever found was a custom trailer that fit the Spyders along the center with all the living quarters items like beds, chairs, appliances etc lined up along the sides or folded up to the sides. IE completely unusable with the spyders on board. We used a series of Motorhomes for better than 15 years. Finally sold our last one last year and are not planning on going back. We used the dickens out of our motorhomes, they did not sit much except the last year we had it. In the end, our cost for using the motorhomes was in excess of $400 a night. You can stay at very nice hotels and eat very nice meals for far less. Not to mention the convenience.

RVs are a very expensive way to travel while enjoying all the great company of the bottom few % of our society in trailer parks. We grew tired of it and all the hassles that went with it. Much more fun on the Spyders and stop at a hotel at the end of the day.

LJspydee
01-06-2016, 01:08 PM
We don't have two Spyders, but we do haul a Spyder with trailer in a 35' toyhauler in 10' garage and an ATV in the bed of the pickup. I'm sure that a Spyder could replace the ATV. We do this from IA to AZ for the winter plus side trips.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122263&stc=1

asp125
01-06-2016, 03:45 PM
We had a 35 footer toy hauler, with a 10ft garage. We could fit the Spyder in the center with about 3" left over in front and back. We had room to snuggle two sport bike motorcycles on either side but it was tight. Had to remove the Givi side cases. https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8702/16878170125_264ba6e4a8_c.jpg

I doubt you could front to back two Spyders (esp RTs) in a 10ft garage. Also, check the GVWR and resulting tongue weight with two fully loaded Spyders that far back.

The best thing to do is park both Spyders in the driveway like you'd trailer them, and lay out a rectangle with painters tape on the cement, then measure the room you'd need.

Bear in mind that trailer ramp door frames take a couple inches off the stated interior width as well.

During our travels we saw that most RV'ers with lots of toys would tow an enclosed trailer behind their rig.

asp125
01-06-2016, 03:53 PM
How 'bout this rig? Bet two would fit across this easily.

http://lscx.net/770_Toter_5er_2bikes_.jpg

Google "Toterhomes" and I'll bet you will find the hauler you need. ;)

denviola
01-07-2016, 04:58 PM
On our trip to Sturgis in '15 we carried our Spyder RT and my friend's Honda VTX 1800. We have 12' garage and still had room for coolers and a recliner, luggage, etc. Ended up moving a lot of the loose items forward to put more of the weight over the pin rather than the RV axles. You can easily overload the RV garage.
Be sure to measure the garage of any unit you are interested in - the forums have several posts about people that took the Manufacturer's drawing information as actual and had issues with fit.
Any patio options and/or 3 season doors attached to your toy hauler ramp door also extend into the garage when closed and take up available space.
Denny

03hdjill
01-07-2016, 06:51 PM
As you can see by my "handle", my wife and I are full time RVers. We live in a motorhome. If you don't want to put anything else in a toy hauler garage, a minimum 10 ft preferably a 12 ft garage would probably do it by loading one front end in and one back end in, if the frame and axles will handle the combined weight. That would be about a 38 or 40 ft 5th wheel and probably a 40 ft motorhome. For the 5th wheel, you would need to be pulling it with a Ford F450 or equal. But here is the real problem. At least it was for us. All that garage room comes out of your living space. If you only want to vacation in the unit, that is fine. But I can guarantee you that if you have to spend some months (as in a winter down south) you will get very cramped. The way we solved the problem is to purchase a trike loader for our PICKUP and pull it behind the motorhome. So as not to sound as if I am an add for the loader we bought, if anyone is interested, PM me and I will point you toward several.

The real question is to ask yourself, HOW will I use and HOW MUCH will I use this for the money invested.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox.
Thanks for the info. I would be interested in hearing about the trike loader. So you and your wife have the motorhome without the garage and one Spyder, right?

03hdjill
01-07-2016, 06:53 PM
How 'bout this rig? Bet two would fit across this easily.

http://lscx.net/770_Toter_5er_2bikes_.jpg

Google "Toterhomes" and I'll bet you will find the hauler you need. ;)

Wouldn't that be nice?!! : )

900Dave
01-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I do believe you can get a Voltage Toy Hauler that will work. 45 foot trailer and up to a 18 foot garage. Voltage has reasonably priced Toy Haulers compared to some others. BUT it will be heavy and you need a large truck to pull it.

cptjam
01-07-2016, 09:24 PM
We looked for this combo for a long time. Only one we ever found was a custom trailer that fit the Spyders along the center with all the living quarters items like beds, chairs, appliances etc lined up along the sides or folded up to the sides. IE completely unusable with the spyders on board. We used a series of Motorhomes for better than 15 years. Finally sold our last one last year and are not planning on going back. We used the dickens out of our motorhomes, they did not sit much except the last year we had it. In the end, our cost for using the motorhomes was in excess of $400 a night. You can stay at very nice hotels and eat very nice meals for far less. Not to mention the convenience.

RVs are a very expensive way to travel while enjoying all the great company of the bottom few % of our society in trailer parks. We grew tired of it and all the hassles that went with it. Much more fun on the Spyders and stop at a hotel at the end of the day.

Our experience was exactly like yours! Any RV depreciates like crazy! Our per night cost was 400 plus! Throw in pitiful gas mileage, and trailer parks, campgrounds, and we came to the conclusion to sell it, and ride! So, rent one, and try it. Some folks love it! From what I've seen, a diesel class A will pull a nice enclosed trailer. We know folks who pull a 5th wheel and a bike trailer behind that! We are so glad we ride!

rwc
01-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Might consider a stacker trailer behind a motorhome.

NSPYTE
01-08-2016, 02:49 PM
I have a 12 foot garage in my fifth wheel with a separate garage. 12 feet is confortable to load and still have access to the pass thru door. Dont think you can find many toyhauler fifth wheels with a "separate" garage to get TWO in. There are some bumper pulls that dont have a divider wall and you could get two in that way.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/Badhabt/Mobile%20Uploads/20150524_134206_zpsmu19k899.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Badhabt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150524_134206_zpsmu19k899.jpg.html)

With a motor coach...and i dont mean a class A with a gas engine, i mean full on diesel pusher..

Hydralift makes a carrier lift that goes on the back of the coach to carry one and STILL allows you to tow a small trailer for the other or another vehicle behind.

http://hydralift-usa.com/canam-spyder/

Lastly would be to just get a 20 to 24 foot enclosed trailer.

Frank G
01-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Think I'll wait until tomorrow night to make sure I am funded!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

fulltimer
01-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I would be interested in hearing about the trike loader. So you and your wife have the motorhome without the garage and one Spyder, right?

Yes that is right. The loader we have is made by Springer Industries in North Dakota. It goes by the name of "Triple D Lift and loader." Their web sight is tripledloader.com. Another one out there is made by Rampage. Don't know if they have a trike model but I like the stability of mine better. I didn't PM this info and hope I didn't cross and lines. I would be more willing to discuss further by PM.

If you are planning on loading an RT model I would have some additional cautions for you to think about based on our experience.

robmorg
01-09-2016, 02:12 PM
...We used a series of Motorhomes for better than 15 years. Finally sold our last one last year and are not planning on going back. We used the dickens out of our motorhomes, they did not sit much except the last year we had it. In the end, our cost for using the motorhomes was in excess of $400 a night. You can stay at very nice hotels and eat very nice meals for far less. Not to mention the convenience.

Interesting perspective. While it can be costly – more so in some years and others - it's the convenience of our motorhome that keeps us traveling in it. I love the fact that wherever I am, I'm also in my own home with my own stuff in it. Some parks are indeed nicer than others. We've stayed in some VERY nice parks, and many times in some that weren't so nice. But as my wife likes to say, "When you pull the curtains closed you could be absolutely anywhere." ;)

03hdjill
01-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Interesting perspective. While it can be costly – more so in some years and others - it's the convenience of our motorhome that keeps us traveling in it. I love the fact that wherever I am, I'm also in my own home with my own stuff in it. Some parks are indeed nicer than others. We've stayed in some VERY nice parks, and many times in some that weren't so nice. But as my wife likes to say, "When you pull the curtains closed you could be absolutely anywhere." ;)

Well, that is exactly what I was thinking. We are just checking out all of the different options available to us. We had motorcycles prior to our Spyders and have been traveling on 2 bikes for approximately 16 years. I can tell you that the $400. per day is probably pretty close to what it costs us on 2 vehicles to travel (with gas, food, and hotel) Really, it is even higher as we kennel two dogs while gone. We have stayed in some beautiful places and some places that I would rather not have stayed and sometimes you can get great food and other times expensive meals can leave a lot to be desired. I think I would like the fact that I could have the choice of eating what I want to eat, knowing exactly what kind of place we will be staying, having all of my things in my home (away from home) and having my dogs with me. We average 7000 miles per year on our bikes as we both work full time and live in PA. : ) Again, just checking out our options.