PDA

View Full Version : Warping Instrument Cluster

Dudley
02-07-2009, 03:09 PM
HI, all. I am a fairly new SE5 owner, 11-18-08. I have been reading a lot of threads about the Spyder, all of them very informative. I have been riding 2 wheels since 1966 (every bike with a windshield) and I have experienced a first with the Spyder. I am not blaming the windshield for what happened, but hopefully this post can help other riders avoid what happened to me. My instrument cluster warped badly. My dealer changed it without any hesitation and called BRP about it. BRP said it was caused by my after-market windshield.. I have a CalSci XL windshield. So I did a few checks on the windshield and the sun. The sun reflecting into the back side (convex) portion of the shield (the strongest point being the vertical center), with the sun at about a 2 o'clock position causes a focal point of light (like a magnifying glass) that is extremely hot, and hits directly on the instruments. This was proven by my second cluster starting to warp after about 45 minutes (I was in the dealership visiting) parked in the position where the sun was just right. I am thankful it wasn't any longer or this cluster would have been toast. I don't have any knowledge of what makes things happen, but it seems like the decals under the needles are really cheap if they warp with heat. For those of us who live in ares of the country that really get hot (Southwest US, AZ desert, etc.), triple-digits for days, many times weeks on end, this problem may be just the beginning as more Spyders are sold. BRP has an accessory item to protect the instruments (no pic available). They don't say if it's to protect from the sun or not. If it is to protect from the sun (cluster can't take the heat), then it should be available to all who want one at no cost. I sent an email to SpyderTeam@BRP.com. No answer as of yet. Meanwhile I am using the pre-ride check list to cover the cluster, and also putting a white rag over everything. Hope this finding is helpful. Spyders rule! Ride Safe, everyone!

Sara
02-07-2009, 03:30 PM
........I appreciate your giving us this information----I live in Southern California where it gets really hot at times. I wonder if some kind of cover for the intrament panels will help. I have the tinted F1 slider windshield from Marcel in Florida----that may help----but I think I'll see if a cover can work......good luck with it.........

captainryder
02-07-2009, 05:01 PM
That was very informative. Thanks Dudley. I've planned a big trip this summer, and will now do my best to remember to park in the shade or cover the area. Don't need any warping... ( Unless it's Warp Speed) :thumbup:

bone crusher
02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I've left my spyder in the direct sun tons of time...this shouldn't be an issue...I think the concentrated beam of light, like with a magnifying glass, is what is causing the problem.

Be happy it's not on your gas tank! :sour:

Dudley
02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I've left my spyder in the direct sun tons of time...this shouldn't be an issue...I think the concentrated beam of light, like with a magnifying glass, is what is causing the problem.

Be happy it's not on your gas tank! :sour:

For sure, the point of light causes the warping. I was just trying to alert Spyder riders that it could happen and possibly prevent someone else from having the same problem. Thankfully you have not. Ride Safe!

bjt
02-07-2009, 09:56 PM
........I appreciate your giving us this information----I live in Southern California where it gets really hot at times. I wonder if some kind of cover for the intrament panels will help. I have the tinted F1 slider windshield from Marcel in Florida----that may help----but I think I'll see if a cover can work......good luck with it.........

We've had all four models of Marcel's windshields and have had absolutely zero problems with them causing warping or even any noticeable hot spots behind the windshield in the dead of summer. I do take the time to find a shaded parking spot if possible (the black vinyl seat can heat up quite a bit http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Angels_and_Demons/happy-devil-0048.gif :yikes:). When I ride to work, I'm stuck parking on a ten acre patch of asphalt. No sun (or rain or snow) relief possible.

LDFIREWORKS
02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
thanks for the info:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Dudley
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, for those of us who like SYMPLE solutions, here it is. Cover (drape)your aftermarket touring windshield with a pillow case, or any other invention to act as a "hood" over the shield. Now, no more sun reflecting. Thanks to our So.Cal SpyderRyders Group's Superman, Ken5517.

John in PA
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I also recently noticed slight warping of the decal on the speedo. I only parked the spyder in the sun one afternoon. I also have the Calsci (large). Pretty goofy that this should happen. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe pop the cluster and see if I can push it back in place. Can the clear plastic lens over the cluster be popped out without damaging the cluster??:dontknow:

Dudley
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I saw a post that it could, but can't rememebr where I did. And yes, the sun will warp it good in nothing flat. Still waiting for SpyderTeam to answer my email concerning what seems like a poor attachment job on the decals. But a pillow case will work. The sun just shining directly on the instruments does not seem to damage it....not yet anway.